ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need a step by step guide on mapmaking NOT DR. SLEEP!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
[SOH]THEREAPER
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: I need a step by step guide on mapmaking NOT DR. SLEEP! Reply with quote

I need to know how to make maps so i can make an H.Q for my clan.

Last edited by [SOH]THEREAPER on Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Serp_i_Molot
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Including your real name on public forums is probably not the best thing to do.
2. Instead of having someone map an HQ (mind you, with really stringent specifications, which will turn off a lot of people), why not try to recruit a mapmaker into your clan? Have him pass the same tryouts that you have for everyone else. Then, if they are in your clan, they might be more willing to map.
3. Try learning to map. I am not being a dick by saying that, learning to map is not that hard and can be very rewarding, it extends the game for you exponentially. I never thought that I would map for Doom, but I am currently mapping quite a bit. (might not be good, but it's mine, dammit)
4. HQs suck. If you want to hang out, use the IRC or your forums. If you want practice, go play some coop (TNT and Plutonia work really well for this)

Ultimately, I think your 'demands' are way too strict and that unless you try to be more friendly and accomodating (asking, not demanding) you might be able to get someone to help you. Good luck!
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any idea how arrogant the above sounds? you'll be surprised if you get flamed/ridiculed for the next decade or so? Laughing
Doomination
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the map you're looking for: http://files.filefront.com/deathwad/;7739805;;/fileinfo.html
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would someone want to map to get into your clan? Especially with an HQ map, it really sounds like you're looking for slaves and expect people to showcase their mapping skills so you can enslave them.

Take my advice: grab a load of blankets and attach them to various objects in your room until you have a cave. That's your HQ.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Emui-Tan
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniper wrote:
Everybody can't just wish a guy luck?
Hope your clan goes well!

/!\
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
[WH]-Wilou84
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on others isn't the way to go.
As Serp_i_Molot suggests, you can learn to map by yourself.
There's an excellent guide here.

Mapping for Doom is very easy, you'll see. Hell, even Ronald knows how to make Doom maps :p
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A H.Q. you say ? That sounds pretty cool, I think it has never done before so it is pretty orginal. NOT.

Twisted Evil
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stealth wrote:
Take my advice: grab a load of blankets and attach them to various objects in your room until you have a cave. That's your HQ.

+1 - Do this, it's much fun.
Czar
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sif make newbies rage. so not cool.
[MAG]Mike12
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, make it stop!

H.Q.s are cliched, boring, and will give a bad first impression to people who might want to join you.

MAGHQ (the original version by Julz_D and Cybershark, before I started to mess it up with my own additions) was fun at the time because it was an original idea, showcased some cool effects, and was a general mapping sandbox for it's creators. However, when other clans started to make their own HQs, many of them were just regurgitated versions of the original concept, instead of something new and exciting.

HQs are dead, and basing your clan on an HQ will destroy it (see [MAG]). So please, give something to the community; learn how to map and try mapping some new ideas, it's a lot more satisfying than having somebody else map something that has already been done time and time again.

Last edited by [MAG]Mike12 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
[SOH]THEREAPER
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there now i changed it happy? but now its in the wrong category!
[WH]-Wilou84
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you need something else than Dr Sleep's guide ? It's very good and mapping methods are clearly exposed. :)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop being so fussy about the guides you've been given. Go look for them YOURSELF if you don't like them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.zdaemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=4702

Very helpful. Now shut up!
lockwolf
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and if you don't find it there, look here: http://zdoom.org/zdkb/zdkbviewer.php

/close
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sleep's guide is a step by step tutorial man. There's not a better one out there. It contains all basic wad editing information and how to do it. Tell me, at what chapter do you encounter problems?
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy wants information pumped into him like the Matrix where you can shove endless knowledge into his brain without him having to bother learning it - and I'm afraid it doesn't work that way Reaper, like everything in life, you're going to have to put in a bit of effort if you want something.

No-one, upon no-one is going to just make an HQ for you, wasting their time when you're obviously not a clan worth joining even 'for the lulz', so if you want to make your own HQ, then you must learn how to map, but think really, will anyone really play another HQ wad after MAGHQ?
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stealth wrote:
The guy wants information pumped into him like the Matrix where you can shove endless knowledge into his brain without him having to bother learning it - and I'm afraid it doesn't work that way Reaper, like everything in life, you're going to have to put in a bit of effort if you want something.

Ah ok, in that case, don't expect too much from your headquarter. Such things take time to develop, at least if you want something decent. It will especially be very time consuming because you need to learn mapping. The Stealth man is right Reaper, there's no other way.
[SOH]THEREAPER
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt know hqs were out of sti=yle. i havnt been playing this from the beginning of ZD. So please dont think were a bad clan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: