ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oceania Doom League
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Oceanic Tournaments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Cybershark
Spamming!


Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Location: off the grid, but still fighting for the users!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrmm... ok, I need to wake up more before I try posting anything in future Very Happy

The point is that most maps have learning curves. You don't have to look further than D2M1 to see this. How many fans of that map thought it sucked until they learned the ins and outs of it? You're not being fair to other maps or yourself if you don't give the alternatives the same consideration.
At the very least then why not try playing with different settings - what about some Altdeath on a classic map?

Oh and heh, it's nice to see someone say that they think King1 is 'overplayed' now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Czar
Spamming!


Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Location: Bitchez, they come and go; But Zdaemon is forever

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its funny how no one knew anything about king1 till a tourney was launched, and now its the most played map on the servers. should get some other new maps going..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
eblitzkrieg
Posting Spree!


Joined: 22 Dec 2006

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King is a great map.

There are so many strategies you can play on it, including:
- different routes
- hiding spots
- faking
- lowering the lift to prevent bfg pickup - annoying if you are up the top!

Spawn kills are possible, but rare.

Rockets are actually useful: whether teleport rockets is on or not, you can still fire a few shots around the place to eliminate possible spots of opponents - frags are actually possible this way. The author obviously knew this, and scattered boxes all over the place.

The bfg is scary in the opponent's hands on this one... difficult to predict the direction/player position, but still possible. With the bfg, you are a lot more vulnerable due to the cornering and close walls.

The chaingun is actually useful on this map, as is the single shotgun.

The weapons are so much more balanced, which makes it more fun to play.

The gun bullets sound is still my favourite part of this map.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Poltergeist
Posting Spree!


Joined: 06 Jun 2008
Location: S.A Australia Clan: TIM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey do we hav dates 4 this yet ??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DarkeTiger
Spamming!


Joined: 07 May 2005
Location: In the falsetto Posts: Mail

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eblitzkrieg wrote:
Rockets are actually useful: whether teleport rockets is on or not, you can still fire a few shots around the place to eliminate possible spots of opponents - frags are actually possible this way. The author obviously knew this, and scattered boxes all over the place.


It helps if freelook is on, which it isn't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
revstar
God like!


Joined: 16 Jan 2007

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Czar wrote:
its funny how no one knew anything about king1 till a tourney was launched, and now its the most played map on the servers. should get some other new maps going..


lol, just because i'm actually the first to realise playing the same maps gets boring very quickly. good to see that you realise boycotting is a good way to make a statement about it.

it would be a change enough to take map1,2,3,4,8 off the maplist of ctf Smile
but seriously, new wads would be appreciated by me at least

@andy: you should just pick a map and do it, tough luck to people who don't like it. people will come anyway if they want to play and others won't. democracy has never worked. if no one comes, then just pick a different map and try again. if you attempt to please everyone, then no one will be pleased. its just the nature of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andymun
Spamming!


Joined: 13 Mar 2006

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revstar wrote:
Czar wrote:
its funny how no one knew anything about king1 till a tourney was launched, and now its the most played map on the servers. should get some other new maps going..


lol, just because i'm actually the first to realise playing the same maps gets boring very quickly. good to see that you realise boycotting is a good way to make a statement about it.

it would be a change enough to take map1,2,3,4,8 off the maplist of ctf Smile
but seriously, new wads would be appreciated by me at least

@andy: you should just pick a map and do it, tough luck to people who don't like it. people will come anyway if they want to play and others won't. democracy has never worked. if no one comes, then just pick a different map and try again. if you attempt to please everyone, then no one will be pleased. its just the nature of it.

k, zdctf map04...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Czar
Spamming!


Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Location: Bitchez, they come and go; But Zdaemon is forever

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revstar wrote:
Czar wrote:
its funny how no one knew anything about king1 till a tourney was launched, and now its the most played map on the servers. should get some other new maps going..


lol, just because i'm actually the first to realise playing the same maps gets boring very quickly. good to see that you realise boycotting is a good way to make a statement about it.

it would be a change enough to take map1,2,3,4,8 off the maplist of ctf Smile
but seriously, new wads would be appreciated by me at least

@andy: you should just pick a map and do it, tough luck to people who don't like it. people will come anyway if they want to play and others won't. democracy has never worked. if no one comes, then just pick a different map and try again. if you attempt to please everyone, then no one will be pleased. its just the nature of it.


lol you boycott ctf, which is just wrong. im boycotting 1v1 maps.


blitzy, i know the map is fairly epic, but the fact remains that it has been played far too much
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Robbbbb
Born with a creativity deficiency


Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Location: Perth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revstar wrote:
lol, just because i'm actually the first to realise playing the same maps gets boring very quickly. good to see that you realise boycotting is a good way to make a statement about it.

it would be a change enough to take map1,2,3,4,8 off the maplist of ctf Smile
but seriously, new wads would be appreciated by me at least


Boycotting has got you nowhere along with others, none shall be named. Why? Because the only person who suffers is you. You, personally Rev, have boycotted many CTF maps because you didnt feel like playing it. Did that end the map? Nope. Did it change the maplist? Nope. Did it even get other people boycotting, following your stance? Nope. In the end you missed out and thats pretty much all there is to it. Unfortunately you may not enjoy the maps but as long as others do, there should be no reason to change it.

King1 and judas are other examples of this. They are now the most used 1on1 servers we have. Does that mean we should change them? Because people enjoy them that much that they play it frequently? I certainly hope not.

In the end it's about keeping people happy. If people enjoy playing King1 and Judas, let them do so. Similarly, if people enjoy zdctf as the major CTF maps, then let them play. Why should we have to change the maplist on your account, because one person wants other maps?

I'm all for trying new things, but if people are happy with what they have, why must we force other things down their throat? It is possible to put another ctf wad up. but we need GA to download it themselves. This is a problem in itself. And until more people start showing an interest in other maps, and start requesting other maps, I wont be asking GA for new wads. I will also not be the one to force them to play something else, thats a choice the people will make if they want somethign else.

I have put other maps up before and none get used as much as these. SSL2, Laz4, Dweller, Boo are good examples of this. While it is possible to put the maps out there, they just dont get used as much.

In regards to a league such as this, the burden would have to be laid on a representative adminstration. You cant allow people the choice for it to be successful. As soon as one is given, people begin to bitch and moan. If its just a general game where someone wants to have fun, then let them play what they want. Just because its not what you want rev (eg. Map04 zdctf), doesnt mean its not what other people want.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
andymun
Spamming!


Joined: 13 Mar 2006

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbbbb wrote:
revstar wrote:
lol, just because i'm actually the first to realise playing the same maps gets boring very quickly. good to see that you realise boycotting is a good way to make a statement about it.

it would be a change enough to take map1,2,3,4,8 off the maplist of ctf Smile
but seriously, new wads would be appreciated by me at least


Boycotting has got you nowhere along with others, none shall be named. Why? Because the only person who suffers is you. You, personally Rev, have boycotted many CTF maps because you didnt feel like playing it. Did that end the map? Nope. Did it change the maplist? Nope. Did it even get other people boycotting, following your stance? Nope. In the end you missed out and thats pretty much all there is to it. Unfortunately you may not enjoy the maps but as long as others do, there should be no reason to change it.

King1 and judas are other examples of this. They are now the most used 1on1 servers we have. Does that mean we should change them? Because people enjoy them that much that they play it frequently? I certainly hope not.

In the end it's about keeping people happy. If people enjoy playing King1 and Judas, let them do so. Similarly, if people enjoy zdctf as the major CTF maps, then let them play. Why should we have to change the maplist on your account, because one person wants other maps?

I'm all for trying new things, but if people are happy with what they have, why must we force other things down their throat? It is possible to put another ctf wad up. but we need GA to download it themselves. This is a problem in itself. And until more people start showing an interest in other maps, and start requesting other maps, I wont be asking GA for new wads. I will also not be the one to force them to play something else, thats a choice the people will make if they want somethign else.

I have put other maps up before and none get used as much as these. SSL2, Laz4, Dweller, Boo are good examples of this. While it is possible to put the maps out there, they just dont get used as much.

In regards to a league such as this, the burden would have to be laid on a representative adminstration. You cant allow people the choice for it to be successful. As soon as one is given, people begin to bitch and moan. If its just a general game where someone wants to have fun, then let them play what they want. Just because its not what you want rev (eg. Map04 zdctf), doesnt mean its not what other people want.

Well said.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rygrass
Spamming!


Joined: 06 Nov 2005
Location: Aussie Clan:eV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep quite a good point revstar if robbbb did end up changing those 1on1 wads? what would happen to the community ?

By boycotting aswell you have gained nothing and you haven't made a stand to let others know why you are every time you see map 01 , 2, ,3 ,4 you just don't join ? how are we ment to know you have had enough ? lulz.

Besides i think we have been through this and what's have you looked at ? go to http://doom.dogsoft.net/ and see that there is over 9,000 freaking wads there are many out there no one has seen that are epic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
revstar
God like!


Joined: 16 Jan 2007

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[firstly, i have to say that i agree entirely with rob, and having read over what i wrote earlier, its not contradictory at all. i have always understood that what I want is not what everyone wants, so I suggest but don't try to force people to change.]

i never said that the wads SHOULD be changed, i've just said I'm sick of the maps (as opposed to wads) that are played now. i agree entirely with satisfying the whole community - if they all want to play map4 zdctf, sure they can play it, but I'm not going to play and thats my choice.

this topic is not about boycotting, but i should say that i have mentioned many times the reason for my boycott, so there's no need to repeat myself. yes, no one has yet followed me in the boycott, but i hope they will in time. this might probably (more than likely) never change the maps/wads, but at least showing that those maps aren't a favourite for me. in any case, on the rare occasion i do play those maps.

in the meantime, i haven't complained or begged for the wads to be changed, I've simply gone and played on other servers, namely US/Euro or Rygrass' (thanks mate) - because there's always something new, or something different.

as czar pointed out, no one played king1 until it was hosted, and now its the most popular map. it didn't happen overnight either. basically, we're never going to know if we never go. sure we tried ssl2, boo, etc. but maybe we just haven't hit the right map yet.

perhaps having 1 server that actually rotates through some new/unheard of maps would be good, but then again, I'm only 1 person. i agree that there'd have to be a majority to support this.

Rygrass: thanks for the variety your servers provide. its a pity that not very many people make use of them Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andymun
Spamming!


Joined: 13 Mar 2006

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revstar wrote:
[firstly, i have to say that i agree entirely with rob, and having read over what i wrote earlier, its not contradictory at all. i have always understood that what I want is not what everyone wants, so I suggest but don't try to force people to change.]

i never said that the wads SHOULD be changed, i've just said I'm sick of the maps (as opposed to wads) that are played now. i agree entirely with satisfying the whole community - if they all want to play map4 zdctf, sure they can play it, but I'm not going to play and thats my choice.

this topic is not about boycotting, but i should say that i have mentioned many times the reason for my boycott, so there's no need to repeat myself. yes, no one has yet followed me in the boycott, but i hope they will in time. this might probably (more than likely) never change the maps/wads, but at least showing that those maps aren't a favourite for me. in any case, on the rare occasion i do play those maps.

in the meantime, i haven't complained or begged for the wads to be changed, I've simply gone and played on other servers, namely US/Euro or Rygrass' (thanks mate) - because there's always something new, or something different.

as czar pointed out, no one played king1 until it was hosted, and now its the most popular map. it didn't happen overnight either. basically, we're never going to know if we never go. sure we tried ssl2, boo, etc. but maybe we just haven't hit the right map yet.

perhaps having 1 server that actually rotates through some new/unheard of maps would be good, but then again, I'm only 1 person. i agree that there'd have to be a majority to support this.

Rygrass: thanks for the variety your servers provide. its a pity that not very many people make use of them Sad

ssl2 is not bad, boo was good. I think I was the only one who liked boo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Czar
Spamming!


Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Location: Bitchez, they come and go; But Zdaemon is forever

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you like the fake boo. boo dmflags specify there should be NO freelook and NO jumping. i dont think youd like it much after that. anyway, i always liked moo2d, no one else seems intrested in that..and ssl2 is good
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
coolboy
has entered the game!


Joined: 23 Aug 2007
Location: 127.0.0.1 :O Clan: TIM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to be the first to point out that talking about
the servers the wads hosted "boycotting" them and who dosent wana play them would be better off on its own topic.

After all andy made the topic asking if anyone would be interested on a "Oceania Doom League" not lets go off topic and complain about what maps i dont like.

Now on topic i dont mind the idea and i would play ive just got my hands full with other stuff but im sure i could get my game(s) played within a good time.
and playing new wads for the "Oceania Doom League" would be nice.


Last edited by coolboy on Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Czar
Spamming!


Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Location: Bitchez, they come and go; But Zdaemon is forever

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was I who made the topic..My idea..lol

Last edited by Czar on Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
coolboy
has entered the game!


Joined: 23 Aug 2007
Location: 127.0.0.1 :O Clan: TIM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i.. said andy...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
andymun
Spamming!


Joined: 13 Mar 2006

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolboy wrote:
i.. said andy...

you edited it, I saw it and it said czar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Czar
Spamming!


Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Location: Bitchez, they come and go; But Zdaemon is forever

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyway. this is what id imagine it should look like

everyone in oceania plays each other 2 times on 2 different wads. thus everyone plays at least 2 games each. the basic ladder will be ranked by wins/frags (which ever one people prefer, i think wins might be better). top 4 go into semis, where there would be only one map to choose from (donno take a vote on which map out of the 2 or w/e). same deal with grand final, one map/wad. winner based on frags for semis and finals, obviously.

any thing comes to mind, do post it here..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andymun
Spamming!


Joined: 13 Mar 2006

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Czar wrote:
anyway. this is what id imagine it should look like

everyone in oceania plays each other 2 times on 2 different wads. thus everyone plays at least 2 games each. the basic ladder will be ranked by wins/frags (which ever one people prefer, i think wins might be better). top 4 go into semis, where there would be only one map to choose from (donno take a vote on which map out of the 2 or w/e). same deal with grand final, one map/wad. winner based on frags for semis and finals, obviously.

any thing comes to mind, do post it here..

no more than 8 people
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Oceanic Tournaments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group