ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

doom portrait question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madgunner
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: doom portrait question Reply with quote

As you all may have known, the little picture of the doom marine's face on the status bar (sometimes referred to as the portrait) can be used to determine from which direction an attack came from. Though I might be wrong, I believe when you are hit or shot, if the marine's head moves to the left then something from the right of you attacked you and vice versa. Now my question is, when you are attacked do you, personally ever actually look at the portrait to determine where the attack came from?
pErf3ct _DaRk_
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do on Single Player level surrounded with hitscans attacks, can be usefull to know where the chaingunners are attacking from Smile
Madgunner
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i guess it has more of a use in single player, but when I'm playing online I never look since I'm more worried about getting away from the person and am too distracted to take a glance at the portrait. Smile
switcher
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really a good trade off to lower your screen size to include the marine face information bar.
Using the next higher setting still allows you to monitor your health, ammo, armour, time and score info while still being able to use the full screen.
Including the marine face bar cuts about 10% of the image off from the top and bottom and then squeezes the remaining image by about another 10%.
You're much better off playing without the marine.
In the vast majority of cases you always know where shots are coming from anyway, so the rare advantage it would give is not really worth the smaller image and screensize IMHO.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZERO99
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL in a 1on1 or ctf there aint no time to look down you'll be dead. i have a better idea use your ears Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
rygrass
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time you look you be killed anyway plus i play without it seems better and more space as people said above
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
impslayer
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the status bar has clear uses in sp, but in "coop 'en masse" or deathmatch-style games, its not really nessary
Rammstein
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unnessesary at all

for example in half-life u see the red lines on the screen so its like arrows for u to look somewhere
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But this is Doom and Doom doesn't have that. But yeah, i'd rather have more vision on the screen then a face that looks in a similar direction to where you've been hit, in DM you don't focus on one guy in 1-1 you should have a good idea where your guy is and if not reaction time comes before looking at a face!!!
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know, I'm thinking you could perhaps mod the 'portraits' to show arrows within the game window instead...
(Also I'm honestly not sure if I ever knew that about the attack direction thing Surprised)

And welcome other-new-forum-guy!
DevastatioN
God like!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the status bar on the bottom always in CTF and 1on1, and never think of not using it.

Switcher, where do you get the information on the 10% being cut off? As far as I can tell with all my testing it's actually identical for the most part and slightly stretched in a weird way.

I don't use the face the tell where the attacks come from though, I use the sounds to determine. I use this to determine the ammo counts of all weapons etc.
Sniper
God like!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Dev, i also use the bar to check what ammo i have got. and for a map01 player like you im sure it is quite useful.
Xenaero
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's curious. I usually keep track of the ammo and weapons I have in my head just fine.

The status bar just adds a cool look to it, though. Very Happy
DevastatioN
God like!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenaero: That is also good, I just prefer the status bar since I keep track of my opponents ammo left in my head. Keeping track of both sets of ammo, plus my opponents remaining health is harder than just their ammo and their health imo. But to each his own, I think this is clearly personal preference of the player.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Y'know, I'm thinking you could perhaps mod the 'portraits' to show arrows within the game window instead...

Remembered today I was gonna play with this idea and thus:
http://zdr.nukelol.com/indicator.wad

You obviously have to have the status bar on for it to work and for some odd reason the screen refreshes it right out of existence quite quickly unless you then reduce the screen size once more (so you have one level of border displayed). It's pretty handy then, especially if you're playing with no sound Smile
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hgere's a related question. Does Zdoom have 5.1 capabilities? if so, how does that work. If something is behind you, does it just register on a different channel?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Geit-vd-plas
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot the other guys walking arround, hoping they'll die. If not I shoot again untill they are dead. I also try not to get shot by others if I'm concentrated.

You guys really should try that. It's so relaxing!
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use 5.1 surround sound with ZDaemon. In my case, this is as simple as enabling the CMSS-3D function on my X-Fi sound card, and enabling software 3d sound within ZDaemon. You'll need to check your mixer settings - using 3d sound in ZDaemon often results in low quality sound, because ZDaemon's settings are ignored and Windows' defaults for DirectSound take over - something which I always wonder why they default to low sampling rates.

This is also the solution to getting sound to work on ZDaemon under Wine - simply enable software 3d sound mode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
niv
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DevastatioN wrote:
I use the status bar on the bottom always in CTF and 1on1, and never think of not using it.

Switcher, where do you get the information on the 10% being cut off? As far as I can tell with all my testing it's actually identical for the most part and slightly stretched in a weird way.

I don't use the face the tell where the attacks come from though, I use the sounds to determine. I use this to determine the ammo counts of all weapons etc.

Hehe, I used to use three minuses back on my P100 just because it would render faster.
999cop
Daemon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, not sure if that "portrait" functions that way accordingly.

But just imagine in a practical use, by the time when you look at the portrait to figure out which direction your opponent is coming from, he's probably gone the very next second.

Not very dependable to your strategy, relatively speaking, eh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: