ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your Favourite Movie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiteboy567 wrote:

Sure, there's the issue of colour being expensive to produce at the time. But if a director really wanted what he envisioned to be colour, he could of easily garnered support from the studio. Take for example the great Billy Wilder which you've probably never heard of(I wouldn't be surprised) he was more then a successful director. He could of easily colourized any of his films in the 50s and into early 60s. But no, he had an artistic vision and fulfilled it countless times. He did not use colour until 1963 because he realized Irma la Douce required it and wouldn't of worked in a B&W pallet. Another example of Billy Wilder is regarding the film Some Like it Hot, he was actually going out of his way to convince Marlyn Monroe into shooting it in B&W because the make up would of had a weird tinge to it, even though her contract said otherwise. Regarding Hi Def or Digital you have many popular directors protesting against it, who have more then enough to shoot film in those selected formats. Go ahead and search it up.

I have watched "some like it hot, and this is where I revert to my argument a page ago, I just can't get into the hokey dialogue of actors and actresses of those days. So you can talk all you want about its B&W aspect, and I'll shoot it down with "The movie still sucks." Of course I realize thi is purely an opinion and everyone is entitled to one, correct or not.

Quote:

In essence? far from my friend. Take for example the film Touch of Evil or even The Third Man(Which i've mentioned earlier) both of these films would of looked ugly if colourized. The majority of these two films take place at night, and use shadows and lighting to build up tension. Maybe you're not aware but these would of not worked as well in a colour flick.
Are you talking about "Colorizing" the film or "shooting it" with color film? Because technicolor almost makes it worse. In that case, yes, I agree, "coloring" the films would have a even more negative effect on my opinion.

Quote:
Okay, cool. The argument isn't colour over B&W. I was clearly talking about the recolourization of old films. You've clearly missed it.

K well then we were butting heads on subjects that weren't totally the same. I agree, technicolor is worse than B&W, no matter how good or crappy the film is.

Quote:
I never said B&W was the way to go. What i'm saying is if the project requires it, then do it. I never said B&W films are better then coloured films anyways. What i was getting on switchers back about was again, people going back and colourizing these old movies. Also we've lost a genre when we switched to colour flicks, film noirs. Sure we have neo noirs but they're not the same.

But like He also said, movies even in this day in age that would do well to be in B&W such as Schindlers List DO. But the budgets for film have pretty much skyrocketed when the movie industry started attempting BIG budget. Star Wars made the public say shit like "I'm never going back to black and white, or shot on a single stage. I want my flyover scenes. I want my Michael Bay explosions, I want my big shootout scene, with bodies! These B&W classics are just not living up to the demands of the modern day movie goer. I garauntee if we brought Schindlers list to the 1930's and let them watch it in a private theatre, they would never want to watch their own movies for a long time.

Quote:

Really then what the fuck is this. I must be seeing shit: http://www.amazon.com/Its-Wonderful-Life-James-Stewart/dp/B00005QCVY

Edit: I found another one: http://www.amazon.com/Its-Wonderful-Life-60th-Anniversary/dp/B000HEWEJO/ref=pd_cp_d_0?pf_rd_p=413864101&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00005QCVY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0P15D3ZB0DBRSX75NPZ1 Jesus Christ you must be either blind or really fucking stupid. I'm still undecided on which.

I didn't look too hard. I googled "Its a wonderful Life Amazon" and I clicked that first link. Not a B&W. Stop being so hostile whiteboy, noone's throwing punches here, its a debate. Calling me stupid doesn't make the point any clearer. Maybe I should call you a Roided out black and white movie freak.

dewww wrote:
ccarnage wrote:
The use of mouselook, jump and/or one key sr50 are clinical signs of aneuploidy.

the use of totally offtopic flaming is a clinical sign of trollism. i guess binded sr50 is zdaemon's twist on godwin's law?

We WERE talking about schindler's list, lol.

Heil!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
whiteboy567
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

switcher wrote:
Available but not readily so.
By VIABLE choice I was referring to the economics of film making.
In the 30s colour films were prohibitively expensive, and the use of colour was more of the artistic choice, like when they used colour in "The Wizard of Oz" (1937) but only after Dorothy had landed in Muchkinland. Do you seriously believe that all the B&W movies made since the 30s were only done that way for artistic value?

That's true about Wizard of Oz, the use of colour was an artistic choice because the selected scenes wouldn't of worked otherwise. I said most, nowhere did i say ALL B&W films were done that way as an artistic choice. Please reread what you quote.

switcher wrote:
In this case, I was referring to network broadcasts of Wonderful Life, which have been the colourized version for some years now.
I never stated a personal preference for colourized B&W films in any case. Flaming me on such an insignificant subject only served to display your ignorance and latent hostility.
Find a good shrink whiteboy, there may still be time to repair your brain damage before you hurt yourself thinking.

Again your statement about It's a Wonderful Life isn't true at all. You're Canadian right? It's a Wonderful Life appears yearly on CTV(Which is a basic cable channel) in the B&W format. So again, you're asshole is leaking better get that fixed. My ignorance?? Don't be such a fucking hypocrite switcher, you're ignorance in that first post was clearly transparent. I think you should find a psychiatrist before your delusional mind gets ahead of itself.

Quiksilver wrote:
I have watched "some like it hot, and this is where I revert to my argument a page ago, I just can't get into the hokey dialogue of actors and actresses of those days. So you can talk all you want about its B&W aspect, and I'll shoot it down with "The movie still sucks." Of course I realize thi is purely an opinion and everyone is entitled to one, correct or not.

That's cool and all but what i quoted from you and what i retorted with, was about the picture format not the acting. Unless you're trying to form some kind of argument regarding picture palette affecting acting, in which case that's totally retarded. Please think before posting.

Quiksilver wrote:
Are you talking about "Colorizing" the film or "shooting it" with color film? Because technicolor almost makes it worse. In that case, yes, I agree, "coloring" the films would have a even more negative effect on my opinion.

You can't really re shoot a B&W film now can we? Yeah lets go dig up all them dead actors and plop them on a set, that would really work wouldn't it? The only way to "re shoot" old films is to do a remake which is a whole other argument altogether.

Quiksilver wrote:
But like He also said, movies even in this day in age that would do well to be in B&W such as Schindlers List DO. But the budgets for film have pretty much skyrocketed when the movie industry started attempting BIG budget. Star Wars made the public say shit like "I'm never going back to black and white, or shot on a single stage. I want my flyover scenes. I want my Michael Bay explosions, I want my big shootout scene, with bodies! These B&W classics are just not living up to the demands of the modern day movie goer. I garauntee if we brought Schindlers list to the 1930's and let them watch it in a private theatre, they would never want to watch their own movies for a long time.

Ignorance is bliss.

Quiksilver wrote:
I didn't look too hard. I googled "Its a wonderful Life Amazon" and I clicked that first link. Not a B&W. Stop being so hostile whiteboy, noone's throwing punches here, its a debate. Calling me stupid doesn't make the point any clearer. Maybe I should call you a Roided out black and white movie freak.

Obviously you didn't look to hard. Then why even add that in your post? It was like you were trying to make me out as a liar. That is the reason why i've become hostile against you. Sure thanks for the compliment even if it's not true. Because in fact, my five favourite movies are in colour.
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiteboy, your sheer attitude is making this debate unfun. Heres it in a nutshell. B&W movies would have been fine if shot in color. (which is what I was saying, don't start flappin at the gums unless you understand the argument I made, if you assume I mean to reshoot the damn things then you are a stupid fuck for thinking that. Obviously I didn't mean that, I was comparing the hypothetical "what if it was shot in color instead." Don't be a dumb fuck. And stop being an asshole. It was up until now that I remained relatively respectful. If you can't seem to NOT insult people for posing an argument or an opinion, then it is YOU who needs a shrink and/or anger management classes, dipshit.

In general, I think black and white movies past the 40's were shot in B&W for budget reasons. Not for artistic reasons, if you disagree whiteboy, then cool, we agree to disagree. If you think movies that were shot from the 40's up that were in B&W were preserving a noir, then sure, it sounds logical as well. Both being said, I believe that those same B&W movies HAD MORE THAN ONE VERY GOOD REASON TO STAY IN B&W. Do you see? If you can't agree on that whiteboy, than your just a tard looking for a fight, and I am done with it. Good day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
switcher
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quiksilver wrote:
If you can't agree on that whiteboy, than your just a tard looking for a fight, and I am done with it. Good day.

then you're Very Happy

Other than that, the statement is correct! Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Body-Guard
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourites are Schindler's List and The Pianist. Awesome films. There are many others too what aren't in WW2 theme, but these are the ones out of the top of my head.
whiteboy567
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quiksilver wrote:
Whiteboy, your sheer attitude is making this debate unfun. Heres it in a nutshell. B&W movies would have been fine if shot in color. (which is what I was saying, don't start flappin at the gums unless you understand the argument I made, if you assume I mean to reshoot the damn things then you are a stupid fuck for thinking that. Obviously I didn't mean that, I was comparing the hypothetical "what if it was shot in color instead." Don't be a dumb fuck. And stop being an asshole. It was up until now that I remained relatively respectful. If you can't seem to NOT insult people for posing an argument or an opinion, then it is YOU who needs a shrink and/or anger management classes, dipshit.

First off when you're trying to call someone a retard, maybe using proper grammar and spelling would actually help that statement you know? Just saying. Again, we can go round and round all day over this, but the fact of the matter is films shot at night are better looking in B&W, while colour flicks bring out the colours of daytime. This is obvious, but just thought i would point that out since you're obviously lacking the intelligence. I couldn't make out what you were saying in the post before this one because it was such an incomprehensible mess. Maybe you know, again (this is just pro tip i'm throwing out there take it as you will) try thinking before posting. Rofl the rest of that paragraph of yours is just to fucking funny, i'm not going to even bother but it seems i hit a soft spot Wink. Comedy gold right there folks.

Quiksilver wrote:
In general, I think black and white movies past the 40's were shot in B&W for budget reasons. Not for artistic reasons, if you disagree whiteboy, then cool, we agree to disagree. If you think movies that were shot from the 40's up that were in B&W were preserving a noir, then sure, it sounds logical as well. Both being said, I believe that those same B&W movies HAD MORE THAN ONE VERY GOOD REASON TO STAY IN B&W. Do you see? If you can't agree on that whiteboy, than your just a tard looking for a fight, and I am done with it. Good day.

Well you thought wrong. Sure most of the movies in 40s were shot that way because of financial reasons. But by the 50s colour was costing about the same as B&W. I can agree on that but like i just said (i'll say it again since you seem a little slow) colour was around the same price by the 50s and onwards. So any director choosing to do their flicks in B&W was purely for artistic reasons. Sure i'm looking for a fight, an intelligent one which i'm not getting here. The only reason I became hostile in the first place was because you implied that i was "fibbing" about there being B&W copies of It's a Wonderful Life. So with that, i'm finished for now as well. Good night sweet prince.

Body-Guard wrote:
My favourites are Schindler's List and The Pianist. Awesome films. There are many others too what aren't in WW2 theme, but these are the ones out of the top of my head.

Hell yeah! The pianist is an awesome WWII flick. If you ever get the chance check out the WWII film Come and See. This flick shows the Nazis just beginning there regime stomping through Poland. Very emotional movie that's for sure.
switcher
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only on the ZDaemon Forums could a topic entitled "Your Favorite Movie" devolve into a flamewar. Evil or Very Mad
I guess that's why I bother showing up.
It's cheaper than the zoo, and you get to see more animals. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WeaponX
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

switcher that post has no relevance, stfu.
switcher
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WeaponX wrote:
switcher that post has no relevance, stfu.

It has more relevance to the preceeding conversation than your useless attack on me does. STFU yourself you moron.
ccarnage
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone needs to calm down Laughing... or not...I have always been an advocate for producing a flame section in this forum, dedicated to those who want to give abuse freely.

But back on topic, Schindler's List technically isn't 100% B&W, don't forget the girl in red Wink
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder: you guys are so frigging rude in real life as well? if so, how often do you get punched in the face? or you feel safe behind your keyboard and the internet anonymity so you act like assholes only here? Anyway... it seems you have to turn every goddamn thread into a flame war, so let's do it this way: seems to me that WeaponX and Whiteboy need a break from the forum. The next flamer (in this thread or any thread in the forum) gets an indefinite leave of absence with my name on it. Go ahead: I think some peace is needed.

Last edited by Kilgore on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enough is enough.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: