ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's going on here?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> European Tournaments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: What's going on here? Reply with quote

Hey guys!

I was wondering why there aren't any tournaments being organized anymore? The last 1 on 1 tournament seems to be from June and the last CTF tournament from the last millenium. We are already waiting for over 6 months for a CTF tournament to participate in, and the way things are looking here, we are going to spend another 6 months waiting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
[WH]-Wilou84
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What's going on here? Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Hey guys!

Hey Rontard,

Ronald wrote:
CTF tournament

Well there hasn't been a lot of advertising for ECDL here, I guess only the ones who took part in EDL knew about it.

Problem is that there's been a lack of interest in those tourneys lately.
People could never play their games on time, sometimes they never play at all and so on.
And tourney admins are a bit busy IRL too ( Ragnarok in particular ).

But maybe now that Thad's back, we could set up Vendetta tourney #2 :p
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Wilou said it seems for now most Euro's don't have enoguh time for these tourneys while EDL/ECDL go on but seeing as EDL has come to the end of its first season there is no reason why we can't have another 1-1 tourney here!

But getting a Vendetta #2 going would be a struggle imo at this moment in time, the clan scene is lacking atm except for [D] and [LM] though [IV] is around it'll take alot of organizing to get us all online Very Happy
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What's going on here? Reply with quote

well, the last ctf tourney got stuck on chaos splitting and not being able to finish their games in original teams, the 1on1 tourneys sort of died, because it was just all the (ex)chaos guys vs few other regulars vs occasional random newb. i suspect the high profiles had no interest in the map choices, because it was unheard wads/maps most of the time. therefore people were like 'omg i had to download this map to join, give me a sec to at least fly through it' in the first round. except chaos, of course, you could see them sparring endlessly on the tourney wads morning till night :)

[WH]-Wilou84 wrote:
And tourney admins are a bit busy IRL too ( Ragnarok in particular ).

i love how this implies draza is a lazy bum :))
Ragnarok
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So guys,

Most things have been mentioned above actually Smile.
Basically it was like this:
- Me and Draza were busy (Im still busy settling in Sweden, which apparently takes a long time here Razz)
- Interest for tourneys was rather low (especially CTF tourney)
- Zdaemon-site was fucking up our brackets by removing them.

The last point seems to be fixed now, since the Ausies started a tourney again with working brackets.
And if there is enough interest I'm willing to set something up (although a CTF-tourney will be very unlikely, since these things always tend to fail). However I dont have an own pc yet, so I can only be online when I'm at the uni. And there I dont have Doom, so I wont be able to look for maps or anything at all which involves playing.

So maybe a Vendetta thing would be better for now...
And like I said, there should at least be enough interest (which is doubtful if only 2/3 clans are active atm).
Draza_Jr.
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok let me post a few points here:

1) Players were / are lazy. Not the admins. We used to take care of the Euro scene in turns with Rag. Everything was fine until the players lost interest.

2) The point of making the Zdaemon tourney´s was to introduce new wads and maps to the community, not to create tourneys in worn out maps like dwango and such. Again european players failed to accept that

3) Last CTF tourney got stuck since Chaos and DH team weren´t able to play their game. DQ wouldn´t help cause all teams in the upper part of the brackets were kinda inactive..

The last fact might be the ECDL stuff going on around these days, so I guess when players didn´t have any interest when there was no ECDL and such, why would they play now. when they can compete in both duel and CTF??

P.S. I almost forgot that somehow plenty of brackets were deleted (like Rag said) and even the Zdreview doesn´t work anymore
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Draza, you sure are one with a positive attitude. Smile Do you know why people lost interest in playing tournaments?
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more likely the people who signed up to tournaments, and didn't bother coming online to play their games. There was a serious case of that even at the EDL, so there should be ground rules that it you're not going to be online enough during the week in the off-chance you get to play your opponent, then don't enter into tournaments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed that players should act a bit more responsibly if they're gonna sign up. I don't get that crap about so many people 'not having time for tournaments' as plenty of people don't even bother looking at a map before they play on it, it's not like they go practice on it for 2hrs a day or something Laughing

I was recently wishing tournies would resume again (on both sides of the Atlantic) and was even thinking of volunteering my own services for admin (once I get my internet back). It was also heartening to see Thad return as if anyone is gonna run something then he's a definite candidate.

Anyways, hopefully Prawnald has provided a kick up the arse to this area of ZD Smile
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It had a great deal to do with the reliability of the people who were entering. Not so much on the Euro side of things, but I've always had problems getting people to play. I'm not too interested in wasting a lot of time trying to track people down, and it gets quite irritating.

There's also some sort of issue with the tournament page. I have been unable to get in touch with someone to possibly fix the problem, but the login page is basically like my cellphone; it works whenever the fuck it wants to. Trouble logging in could go on for days, even weeks sometimes. I've also had some problems updating brackets. Half the time everything would work perfectly, and other times it wouldn't update and would somehow end up logging me out, leaving me unable to log back in.

I hope I can get in touch with someone to fix it soon. I've been trying for the past few months, but very sporadically because I've also been busy with some other stuff.

That's the deal..it's not my intention to keep things dead much longer, even if it means making brackets with notepad or something.
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not believe tourneys are for new maps only. Sure it can be used for that, but a tournament is a cool competition what has nothing to do with introducing new maps. Like the name says, tournament.

ZDS is for new maps, so no wonder players didn't accepted it.

Of course tourneys can use new maps, that will keep up the flow. Razz
pErf3ct _DaRk_
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacepirate wrote:
ZDS is for new maps, so no wonder players didn't accepted it.

Huh, Kame Sutra is THAT recent ? :/
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh don't drag ZDS into this, we run whatever the hell we like over there. But hey, the text with Kama says it is only 3.5yrs old - far from the oldest thing we've run!

spacepirate wrote:
Of course tourneys can use new maps, that will keep up the flow. Razz

Keep up with the Flo! Laughing

Like ZDS then the tournies here ran a mix of stuff. Sure, it was predominantly lesser known maps but fuck it, if all you wanna play is the same half-dozen 'standard' duel maps then go join the ECDL, IDL or whatever the hell. Not like you're exactly gonna be short of players there Wink
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Like ZDS then the tournies here ran a mix of stuff. Sure, it was predominantly lesser known maps but fuck it, if all you wanna play is the same half-dozen 'standard' duel maps then go join the ECDL, IDL or whatever the hell. Not like you're exactly gonna be short of players there Wink

Maplist for ECDL season 1:

"Something Epic - by AlexMax" (zdctfmp map08) ~ Week 1
"Tribute - by AlexMax" (4ctfepic map11) ~ Week 2
"Souls Cemetery - by FranckFrag" (zdectfmp- map08) ~ Week 3
"Frozen - by AlexMax" (zdctfmp map09) ~ Week 4
"Zero Fort - by Ralphis" (odactf1 map04) ~ Week 5
"Ralphis Magical Ice Forts - by Ralphis" (zdctfmp map04) ~ Week6
"Compatible Mainframe - by Izm" (zductf map10) ~ Week 7
"Cursed - by ATG_Death" (4ctfepic map06) ~ Week 8
"Cold Sweats - by Xsnake" (zdectfmp- map01) ~ Week 9
"Mainstay - by AlexMax and EarthQuake" (zdctfmp3- map22) ~ Week 10

I'm sorry Cybershark, I can't have you waving your wand in retaliation to otherwise neutral comments about ZDS whenever we put in the effort in ECDL to come up with a variety of maps for different styles of play? If you really expect us to make them play 100% lesser known maps then you might as well expect to have as much success with a Deathball league. If I'm not mistaken the IDL also reaches out to maps from CrazyCTF and 32in24, so where are you citing your information form?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I took offence to that too Sharky! All those maps selected for ECDL were based on different styles requiring a range of playing aspects. And as for the EDL... It's a classic map league, all those who wanted to did sign-up and compete.

But back to the main chat here, yeah I think someone should start these tourneys again seeing as EDL has now finished and we could do with a few until season 2 Wink but alot of the attention isn't towards this section of the forums anymore and it's understandable why. But sure what the hell, it's worth a try
Draza_Jr.
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good to know there is still some interest in playing tourneys here on ZD. But I can´t login into my administration account. Something´s kinda fucked up, like Boner said. Sad
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could run them via an EDL special section on the website no problem, I don't think it would require people registering either I can just add them to the league like I have with the ecdl teams... Just an idea that wouldn't be a problem. It can be run here then I update the scores on the site when the admin PM's me or something?

What people think? I'll do a mock run of that tonight to see if it works.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Nero and Stealthy:
Totally my bad there - been so long since I saw those acronyms around I was forgetting which was which! I of course meant the ZDDL rather than the IDL.
Thadeuss
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think EDL tourneys are a good idea Nero and the shoot tourney you guys hosted went well, but I think official ZD tournaments should remain independent of other leagues and set up through the ZD forums.

We need two things:

1) New tourney mods as Draza and Rag have rl commitments that stop them from being here that much.

2) A few more innovative tourney ideas with mods actually going into the community and asking people to take part to get competitive play going again.

I'd suggest having an open tourney, then if that goes well bring back intermediate tourneys and host some clan/team tournaments as well such as vendetta #2.

The new mods would also need to contact Kilgore and Raider about the tournament brackets being fixed, as long as they were accepted as mods by the development team ofcourse.
pErf3ct _DaRk_
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thadeuss has points there, I totaly agree.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> European Tournaments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: