ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

~ dataDyne Death Match ~
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pErf3ct _DaRk_
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: ~ dataDyne Death Match ~ Reply with quote

Hi there ! Smile
I come up today with a quick duel map, made in 2 hours, Ultimate Doom Themed map, small, plays pretty good (thanks to fsn76 for the testing duel :> )

Anyways grab it while it's hot : * dataDyne Death Match *

Enjoy ;o

Last edited by pErf3ct _DaRk_ on Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alfred
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice details, I guess, but its just doom1 themed, nothing notably crazy about that. Don't get me wrong, its great for a quick-map. Pretty small imo, nothing to really make it stand out either. Probably great for a duel.

I'd suggest the following things to happen:
Add to a larger set of 1on1 maps
Spice up the map visually, it doesn't really feel bland, but it could stand out a lot more Smile

You could also step out of the doom realm a little with a weapon mod for this map and the theme, that might be pretty cool.
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Datadyne !

I take a look at it this evening. Wink
[WH]-Wilou84
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tested it with a bot, detail is very good ( particularly when you compare it to the classic duel maps we play over and over ), as always with your maps DaRk. :)
The gameplay is ok, yet a bit limited imho.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
pErf3ct _DaRk_
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's pretty small I have to admit it but it plays great, Fsn will confirm this Smile . Also I don't know at all about a weapon mod but it's something I really fear, see how people hate 2dmmaps :I . Spacepirate, I had no idea about the name so heeee, I picked this up Smile

Please be gentle people, it's my very first duel map ! Smile
Fsn76
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like your maps man.
pErf3ct _DaRk_
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fsn76 wrote:
i like your maps man.

And I like you :>
GhoulSlayeR
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just downloaded it and fired it up, and I must say, Im quite impressed with it.

For such a small map, the gameplay is fast, and it seems you can never stay still. The weapon placements are perfect for a duel map aswell. one SSG in the outside while the bfg is in the inside, kinda reminds me of pobla8 in that aspect though you got that other SSG behind that lift spawn which brings me to another thing. I like seeing spawns like that, they are more creative than simply putting a weapon in a cornor with a spawn on top of it, kinda like what d5m1 is like Mad

Though I got a couple of things I would recommend.

*The scrolling light could be made a little brighter, would make it slightly more noticable.

*Remove Acid damage, IMO acid damage doesnt work well for Deathmath games most of the time, can be annoying losing a frag if you get killed by it, but it can be used to players advantages in some cases, but I cannot find a way in this map yet.

*Add a exit room

Overall, This is a very solid map in it's current state I would like to play this map very soon on a server. It has the gameplay and flow needed for a fast action map. Cool

Good Job
pErf3ct _DaRk_
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Ghoul Smile
I re-uploaded a new version, fixing the broken teleports in multiplayer, adding an exit room and removing Nukage damages. Same link Smile
GhoulSlayeR
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plays better in this version since the broken teleporters are now fixed and,
the exit room adds a nice touch and another spot to escape from bfg if used right. Very Happy

and Np dark Cool
ZERO99
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont like this map, i dont know what some of you are talking about i find this map's gameplay to be boring. im sorry but making a big square with a teleport to either side of the map and making and a bfg route is not good fun gameplay. i almost feel like im a kinder gardener again running around playing tag when the person your trying to tag decides to go to a play ground or something and you just run around back and forth around the playground trying to tag them but soon as they see you they just run the other way and you run the other way trying to intercept there path..... i dont know about you but im a teenager not a kinder gardener.

this may sound a little harsh but its what i really think. but to conclude i ask this, is it a glorified square donut? or is it just some cool detail ideas you came up with but had no good idea for a good layout so you put it in a square donut to show off your discoveries in detail?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
pErf3ct _DaRk_
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok first person to don't like my work, they exist anyway. Idon't knwo if you actually practise a lot of Death Match or play a lot of new maps, if not I can understand why you don't like this map. I far can understand that the map is too small but guess what, this is what makes its gameplay, small map and fast-paced action; think whatever you want of my work, this map might be a donut to your eyes, you might feel what-ever-something-stupid and it's your problem mate, not mine actually ;] . And as far as you're thinking this map is just of show of my detailing skills, you got it wrong, All my maps are overloaded of detail and most of them play good. You also might have forgotten that this map is my first fucking map in death match style so taht explains things I guess.
ZERO99
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well welcome to the world of mapping i suggest you take criticism better then this and explane what you did in this map and prove what i said wrong. btw i do have quite abit of experience in deathmatch in fact if you look in zdreview i have a 1on1 map already there Wink but i dont ever remember yor u saying this was your first deathmatch map in your original post or i had just missed it some how but it is better then my first duel map thats for sure. next time just think of a better layout and take critism better and explane why you didnt do the things people question you about instead of just getting angry but i can also see why you were in the first place i was pretty harsh in what i said but its how i feel about this map.

Edit: oh yea i never said the map was to small i said i dont like playing cat and mouse games with people in 1on1 and calling it good gameplay so try again next time and learn from your mistakes like i did with my first 1on1 and fucking impress me come on i challange you make me impressed with a new map but take your time on it alright Smile
pErf3ct _DaRk_
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take criticism as it comes, I'm not angry at all, actually I think you just look pissed actually Wink Yes you might misssed a point in my first post, I said that it's my first duel map. You your map is better, fine, but you say taht since it's your map, I will act the same so I won't ask for a link. You can be sure that next maps will be far better, this was like a training to DeathMatch stuff to me.
ZERO99
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never said my map was better or anything, i just like to provide proof that i know what im taking about when it comes to gameplay or else i wouldnt have said the things i did if i didnt know what good gameplay was. but again like i said learn from your mistakes made and improve to make a better product for next time and i look forward to seeing your next map. just take your time and think of all possible outcomes in the areas you create and try to balance them out so both players have options to use at there disposal not a one way street all the time.
GhoulSlayeR
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This map kinda resembles sll2.wad in size and gameplay somewhat, perhaps slightly smaller. It's a pretty good map for it's size and being Dark's 1st deathmatch map, It's very nice, and I would like to get some games on it.

I wouldnt also say it is overloaded with detail also, It has a good blend with everything in this map.

When Detail blends in with eachother, It is perfect.

When you have Slopes upon Slopes and clashy shit, thats when it is far from perfect.

Here is somemore advice for you Dark,

Some of the spawns are in something some people like to call "High Traffic Areas". Meaning, in the middle of a hallway for example. 1 or 2 spawns in that type of area is alright, but I would suggest moving 2 spawns on the ground to a more elevated area or someplace interesting instead of on the ground. It makes a big difference in the long run, Kinda like how Sipooma.wad had 1 or 2 while the rest were in an interesting place, such as off the ground and behind a lift, same thing with Lazarus map04 in that aspect.

The spawn behind that lift is very well placed in this map, if you could do something like that with 1 or 2 more spawns it would be better Cool
pErf3ct _DaRk_
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This brings me a few ideas, thanks Ghoul Smile
Zero I can understand you don't like the map it's ok, I'll do my best on the next one Wink
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pErf3ct _DaRk_ wrote:
Thanks for the feedback Ghoul Smile
I re-uploaded a new version, fixing the broken teleports in multiplayer, adding an exit room and removing Nukage damages. Same link Smile

AH yes, I just looked at it and was about to comment on those teleports. Quite forgiveable if you're not used to making maps for DM and easily fixed. Now what's up with that sky? Razz

Yeah, it's a nice cosy size there. Definitely all action. Like Ghoul then I really don't approve of having the spawns be so clearly marked and also so far out into the action in such a small map.

Having damaging nukage in a DM map shouldn't really be an issue, providing you use some restraint - ie. not Superhellslime over areas you're going to have a hard time getting out of.

And exits are entirely up to the author. I'm personally not a fan of them for anything other than map switching.

There's not all that much to say about this otherwise, it's simple fast-paced fun which shows some good item placement. I'd have made the lift to the BFG slower though. And yeah, everyone has to start someplace. As long as servers and players continue to endorse Shoot.wad then this is just fine.

Oh and lol, I just realised that Phoenix is you Smile
pErf3ct _DaRk_
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol heh for some random reason I don't manage to fix the Sky under Zdaemon, its works fine under skultlag however, I'll fix when I get bored Smile
I'm currently working on a bigger version of the map, main ideas featured by ghoulSlayeR Cool

Stay tuned folks Wink

Ps lol I just noticed your avatar is animated shark ;o
Consigliori
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZERO99 wrote:
well welcome to the world of mapping i suggest you take criticism better then this

Now ZERO that's not fair you didn't make any changes to your map despite mine and ghoul's criticism, you got very defensive in fact.

As for squares making bad gameplay... Rolling Eyes

A good map so far, would make for a very fast paced DM, i'd like to play a few games here against good opposition instead of bots Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: