ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grotesque CTF
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alfred
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Grotesque CTF Reply with quote

My final release to this community.

Going out with a bang. (hopefully)

A twelve map set consisting of various themes and design skills, mostly high atmosphere and lower-end gameplay value. Hopefully good for a great couple of games. (You don't have to read what follows... Especially if you've alpha/beta tested with me.)

Map01 - Crysalis

Rival forts fight over the Crysalis river choke, for dominance in the land. Red vs Blue in its finest most simplistic form. However expert rocket jumpers can appreciate the goodies up in the cliffs.

Map02 - The Salt Mines

A strike has broken out in the East facility against the evil West facility, with the salt dwindling, jobs will soon trickle to a halt, fierce combat will decide the dominance over the area.

Map03 - Swamp Stone

Dark and erie, the marines trek into this old decrepid swamp to find a broken down fort covered in vines. It appears this is the newest choke in the battle for supremecy.

Map04 - Urban Assult

The battle shifts to a cornered off section of city somewhere in the west, advancing troops fortify into their new base-camp and ready for battle in an unwelcoming urban territory.

Map05 - Forest Redluse

Bad blood runs thick in these parts, its the O'Reds vs McBlues in this time-honored fued. In the dead of night, shots ring out in the backwoods.

Map06 - Fallen Baisen

Emerging from the caves the men garrison up in these ruined stations. Cliffs and a split river define this new territory.

Map07 - Charred Earth

An accident causes fires to burn in the coal mines under this ruined backwoods ghost town. Passers-by are recruited into the legions vieing for the territory.

Map08 - Asylum

Its Doctors verses mental cases in this battle royal over the hospital.

Map09 - Benedict

Once filled with holy monks harmonizing now echos of shotgun blasts and screams of anger. This once holy sanctuary has been defiled and taken over by the warrior barbarians.

Map10 - Gusty Valley

Mud and wind whip your face and dirty your boots. Blue's claimed the top, Red is stuck on bottom, work your way to victory in this tiny gultch.

Map11 - Fiery Disadvantage

Hell-fire and raining magma burn this once bustling metropolis.

Map12 - Forest of Ash

Aftermath of the devastating fires. Blackened rivers and scorched trees dot the landscape of this once lush forest. A burned out cabin is your only redluse in this desolate land.

Map13 - Techno Rivers

I've got nothing important to say about this map. Something from the old RFACTF decided to throw it in since people seemed to like it back then.

Map14 - Xenophobic

Formerly an FFA map for my discontinued grotesque-FFA. The layout seemed pretty decent so I mirrored it and made a middle, nothing extremely crazy but its a decent map.

Map15 - Isle Keep

Sort of the greenish twin to the first map, sort of, but not really. This map is large, has hills and an open feel with a lot of mobility and little hiding space.

Okay, enough of the level descriptions. Onto other junk: there happens to be some real music (.ogg format) on this pack, so its slightly larger than your average wad, totaling out to 7.65MB compressed. 14.7MB decompressed.

Download here

Last edited by Alfred on Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir, your final? Why?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Swag
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played most of these in the RFA CTF when you were last in it these are very good I'll have to check this out later
Alfred
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last as I don't really play doom all that much anymore. Also I've become bored with mapping for doom, its just too simple or something. On top of that, I don't feel I can personally best these maps on my skills. So there you have it.

heh, yeah, theres been some minor modifications to the maps that were in RFA ctf and plenty of new ones, be sure to check it out. Smile
Swag
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding the two high entrances to the base really helped Map01 it should be more fun now. Map02, Map03, Map04, and Map06 were the best maps made by you before I didn't really notice a difference in these really, but they didn't need a change I still say these are the best by you. Map07 is changed because it's visible in the bases now... I didn't need the arrows there, but it could help some people out. Map07 is much better though. Map05 is still so-so.. Map08, Map09, Map10, Map11, Map12 well I'd like to actually test these in-game. Map11 doesn't look like it will play well the other maps should, Map08 and Map10 might be quite tough to defend. I'm sure this is the best mapset I've seen anyone make in quite a while. I'd give it 9 out of 10 overall you know how to map for CTF.
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfred wrote:
My last as I don't really play doom all that much anymore. Also I've become bored with mapping for doom, its just too simple or something. On top of that, I don't feel I can personally best these maps on my skills. So there you have it.

heh, yeah, theres been some minor modifications to the maps that were in RFA ctf and plenty of new ones, be sure to check it out. Smile

Simple? Well maybe the maps you make are simple. But I do not find it simple at all what I make. Razz Even lots of maps aren't so good. But you need to try different things. New stuff, and because this community is very bad and actually sucks when it comes to new maps. I suggest you can make some SP. So the people who come here would give it a try and you have still fun when you play it yourself.

I will look at those maps later and say what I think of it Wink
Alfred
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm contemplating re-releasing this as i found a rather troublesome bug in the last map... after release of course, thats when we find them isn't it? lol.

Anway, the bug: one side of the back cave on the blue base always takes you back to blue base, when it should take you to red. The other side of the cave works, takes you to red base. I can't see how I missed this one, but yeah, I did. So, expect a re-release sometime today, probably in a short while.

***Edit***
Fixed. Hopefully this is the only oversight. I've gone over the maps several times again, so everything should be in order. Still the link in the first post.
andymun
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the host is down, can't download it Confused
Alfred
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

appears to be working for me...
andymun
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfred wrote:
appears to be working for me...

yeah its working for me now Smile
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasn't sure i could be bothered to comment on these again but there's lots new since i last looked. and yes i'm going to comment on lots of visuals and technical crap because Alfie put the work in and it really shows. remember kids, this is Zdaemon, not Chocolate Doom!

well firstly Zdaemon informs me on startup that you screwed up the TERRAIN stuff. no biggie i guess. love those little gas spurts you have around the place, they're pretty fresh to mein eyes...

map07... you should have made the base identification much stronger. nad having an all-blue sky is confusing as hell
all those smoky(?) tunnels may make for interesting games or they may just be annoying as hell. at least they're clearly marked!

map08 is great! finally someone makes use of one of Doom2's most unloved textures! Laughing
but seriously, this map looks like hella intense gameszes. little lacking in colour and rows of blue health bonuses are a bad move but i think this'll be sweet in action. love those shootable grates too!

map09: wow! great conversion of an Elder map! only thing i'd knock here is that you went against the usual convention for teleport colours and again with the desaturated look. blue/red candles in the walls would've been way better. still, a very strategic map.

map10 - well, it's simple, fairly bland. nice layout which'll make great 3on3 games, just seems like too much of a mix of stuff we've already seen. y'know, kinda a cross between Swamp Stone and The Salt Mines (or something).

map11... little curious about the BFG in here. some secret teleport or an RJ?
and ARGHHHHHH! PUT SOME FECKING COLOUR IN THE HALLWAYS! doesn't have to be a lot
still, as there's not much way to deviate of those halls then it won't get too confusing btu still, it's like you're not trying to help yourself here Sad
and i can see why you made the windows the size you did - to fit the dimensions of that window texture. unfortunately this renders them pretty nonsensical Mad
think the RL room should've had a window too.

map12 - ok, so purely from a technical view then the those ruined houses are awesome. the breaks in the floor and the way the fog makes the lines melt toegther are really something. those rear teleports are pretty evil and mean you always have to watch your ass here. the house interior seems a bit cramped - y'know, like something i'd make Razz
more very intense matches i suspect.

sorry if that seems overcritical but it doth vex me that there seem to be so many holes in the later maps when they could have been much mroe impressive. i'd really suggest taking a few of them back to the workshop one final time Wink

also i think Ronnie and his treehouse pals will be swinging by with some more feedback for ya shortly Wink
Barclays
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alfred!

I wrote a little review for your CTF maps. It's a bit of a long post so I don't hope it bores you. Razz Anyway, here are my thoughts about this wad.

MAP01

Appearance: The lay-out of the map is long and big and it is not very detailed, so it looks a bit bland. Especially the flagroom looks “unfinished”.

Gameplay: The gameplay in this map can be very nice, but I suggest at least 5 vs 5. The map is rather big. The map is very interesting for flagrunners, because, well, you can just run for it! A perfect weapon to chase with is a shotgun, and this weapon can not be found in this map.

MAP02 The Salt Mines

Appearance: This one looks like a small factory, with some mines next to it. Detail is better than map01, but it still looks a bit bland here and there and there is no variation in the detail that’s there.

Gameplay: Gameplay should be interesting. The map is rather small and there are some good places to hide. Weapon placement is good, although it could use some more ammo. Again the shotgun is left out!

MAP03 Swamp Stone

Appearance: Absolutely the best looking map in the pack. The map looks like a temple built in a mountain, with a swamp deviding the two bases. Detail looks pretty nice with the grass and the plants.

Gameplay: Gameplay is ok as well, though navigation could cause some trouble. But I guess it will be ok if you get to know the map! Oh, and cheers for the lonely shotgun!

MAP04 Urban Assult

Appearance: A little town with some buildings. Some buildings / homes can be entered. Outside it looks ok, but nothing special, except the lanterns maybe! Razz Inside it looks rather empty.

Gameplay: Could be nice and fast. The size of the map is great for 3 vs 3 or 4 vs 4. Weapon placement is fine too. On most starts you can find a Super Shotgun. Too bad there is no player start near the middle.

MAP05 Forest Redluse

Appearance: I would not call this a forest. I would rather call this an open field with grass with some trees placed on it. It looks pretty nice although it might be a bit on the dark side, the outside that is. The bases are formed by cabins on the edge of the field. The insides of the cabins are a bit dull.

Gameplay: I guess another good map for flagrunners. Since it is a wide open field and there are no again no shotguns available. Also the base is hard to defend due to the many entrances. The trees prevent the map from being spammy, although the plasma gun is very easy to get.

MAP06 Fallen Basin

Appearance: A bit of the same theme as MAP02, although when it comes to detail, this map looks more complete. Maybe that’s because this map is a bit smaller, I don’t know.

Gameplay: Very interesting gameplay could take place here. It is a small map with lots of places to hide. I imagine this being a map full of action.

MAP07 Charred Earth

Appearance: Again a huge open field with trees placed in it, new here are the are the half destroyed cottages. The flags are hidden in boring grey caves, in which the fog way to thick for my taste. Thank God for the arrows in there though.

Gameplay: I think the cave part of this map is a disaster. It would make me disconnect for sure. The fog makes it hard to tell if you are looking at a teammate or an opponent. I also think the field is way too big. By far the worst map in the pack.

MAP08 Asylum

Appearance: This map has the characteristics of a warehouse, with some office rooms to the sides of it. Though the same texturing makes it look pretty bland.

Gameplay: A rather small map which will have a lot action, no doubt about that. With the weapons placed on the right place I think this will be an interesting map to play.

MAP09 Benedict

Appearance: The only map in doom2 format! A very nice detailed little dungeon map with a yard even.

Gameplay: Could be very interesting, because it’s a real sneak and snore map lots of places to hide. The plasma gun in it might be a bit too much though because the corridors are rather narrow which means they are hard to dodge. Might be a bit confusing at first, but that will cear up soon enough after playing a bit.

MAP10 Gusty Valley

Appearance: The name says it all! Two bases are placed on the middle of a mountain, devided by a mountain trail. The red team has to move up and the blue team has to move down the trail.

Gameplay: Again a small map with a lot of action. No places to hide to hide this time except behind the base! I am not sure the moving up and moving down give one team a certain advantage, but it might be the case. I would rather chase down than up to be honest.

MAP11 Fiery Disadvantage

Appearance: Hard to recognize a certain theme in this map, but I would describe it as some kind of ghetto which is surrounded by lava. Pity the insides of the warehouses look a bit empty again.

Gameplay: I enjoyed this one very much. This one again is a bit on the small side, but that makes the fights more intense!

MAP12 Forest of Ash

Appearance: This map is dedicated to the color. And when I say grey I mean grey! There are things that have different colors, but you can not tell until you stand close them due to the fog.

Gameplay: The teleport behind cabin might be a bit confusing. I for one went with the flow a few times, ending up in my own base. I first thought the team starts were messed up, but it appears to be a nifty teleporter. This teleporter also is the thing that distinguishes this map from for example MAP06. Other than that it played quite well.

Overall: Some of the maps offer some interesting gameplay due to some interesting lay outs. Being a bit on the small side, I'm sure they will be intense games! The bigger maps on the other hand might probably be a bit boring, at least to me.

I can tell you have put a lot of hard work into this wad. There are some pretty cool things in here, but somehow, when it comes detail, most of the maps seem unfinished.

Last but not least I would like to mention the status bar. I tried to find a nicer word for it, but I think it looks ugly. Also me being that actually still has the status bar on screen was kinda irritated about the fact that the face is black and blue all the time. This made me think I was hurt several times.

Well, that's what I have to say about this wad. The way it is now, I would give it a 5,5/10.
Geit-vd-plas
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your time their Barclays!
I'm sure it's apriciated!

I'm not much of a ctf guy so I won't bother giving feedback. to bad it's a final release though, I did like some of your creations.
Though I must say that klaas is everywhere and my piss just can't handle him! It hurts him, sure! but, aye, not enough!
AARGH!

YOU'RE ALL NERDS AND NERDS WON'T STOP HIM!
Alfred
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree, the larger maps in the pack are pretty boring, too much running and I just can't really figure out what to do with all the space, its appearent that I'm not that great of a detailer, never have been. I feel this is mostly due to the fact that once I have the general theme of something down, I feel its okay to call complete. Most people aren't satisifed with this... unfortuante.

map07 really the worst o_o I guess from a gameplay standing it could be a little irratating, and I really felt i wasn't done with the theme I had from map05.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback!
Alfred
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Final version in the download link in the first post.

and here.

Well I can say my mapping held on a lot longer than my serious dooming did. I may have dropped mostly all ties with this community, but I felt somehow obligated to share this with this community which ate up enormous amounts of my ample free time way back when...

Anyways hope you guys enjoy my new works and other modifications to the existing maps in here. I look forward to reading the review if anybody feels compelled to get around to it.

Really final, thats it, kuput, no more.
Fluffles
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I like the wad rather alot most of the maps are really good! I especially like the salt mine and the one street one. But most I would play. Hope people play your wad would be awesome to get games off it.

Also the atmosphere of most of the levels is really nice.

I did notice I got stuck slightly on some of the levels while running like if I ran up the stairs near the flag I would get stuck slightly but thats about all.

Overall I would rate it around a 8-9/10.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought you'd forgotten about this Alfie. Thanks for making one more effort - even if it is your final one Sad
ZERO99
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn alfred id hate to see you go i love your work i think its totally top knotch shame to see you go but thats life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfred wrote:
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree, the larger maps in the pack are pretty boring, too much running and I just can't really figure out what to do with all the space, its appearent that I'm not that great of a detailer, never have been.

Alfred wrote:
Also I've become bored with mapping for doom, its just too simple or something. On top of that, I don't feel I can personally best these maps on my skills. So there you have it.

Just checked out the new arrivals and Map15 would beg to differ with you Razz
Not sure how practical it is with the flag so open in the base and teleports which warp you across half the map but I'm looking forward to finding out! Smile
Alfred
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats unfortunate is that I can't watch nor play doom anymore, it gives me some pretty bad motion sickness... No idea why that is.
Otherwise I'd make attempts to come and see how the new maps fair with a wide group of folks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: