ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CTF Tournament
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Oceanic Tournaments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Stealth
Gone with the wind


Joined: 09 Nov 2004

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was anything to stop me emmigrating to Australia with my parents it's the Oceania scene. It is quite dead. The problem is players are too few, and the ones you do have are not brilliant (in regards). Perhaps a little bit of advertising? In real life? It worked wonders in such a small country like Northern Ireland, y'know.. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andymun
Spamming!


Joined: 13 Mar 2006

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StealthCP wrote:
If there was anything to stop me emmigrating to Australia with my parents it's the Oceania scene. It is quite dead. The problem is players are too few, and the ones you do have are not brilliant (in regards). Perhaps a little bit of advertising? In real life? It worked wonders in such a small country like Northern Ireland, y'know.. Wink

Probably should do a little bit of research before you posted that. We have just as many active players as we have ever had and are those not so brilliant players the same players that consistantly dominate on USA CTF servers?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robbbbb
Born with a creativity deficiency


Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Location: Perth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StealthCP wrote:
If there was anything to stop me emmigrating to Australia with my parents it's the Oceania scene. It is quite dead. The problem is players are too few, and the ones you do have are not brilliant (in regards). Perhaps a little bit of advertising? In real life? It worked wonders in such a small country like Northern Ireland, y'know.. Wink


That has probably got to be one of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard. Hop off your high horse for a minute.

We have many CTF's in a night, and the 1on1 scene is alive also. Many players have regular duels.

As for the players not being brilliant, pull your finger out. On what basis do you have to make that claim? Scave is undoubtedly one of the best players around, and we have quite a few good players out there.

What makes you think you can come in here and run your mouth like that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Stealth
Gone with the wind


Joined: 09 Nov 2004

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not running my mouth, and I apologize. I did not mean to put it forward like that. The problem is that from way over here, the Oceania scene doesn't look good. It's got it's share of trolls and it's share of helpful people. I was actually more interested in helping out the scene, seeing as I may soon be very well part of it. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andymun
Spamming!


Joined: 13 Mar 2006

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StealthCP wrote:
I'm not running my mouth, and I apologize. I did not mean to put it forward like that. The problem is that from way over here, the Oceania scene doesn't look good. It's got it's share of trolls and it's share of helpful people. I was actually more interested in helping out the scene, seeing as I may soon be very well part of it. Confused

Trolls? We don't have any.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stealth
Gone with the wind


Joined: 09 Nov 2004

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, my reasons for thinking this were:

1. Rygrass did not put TeamDamage on the ZDS server. This just lead me to think that Oceania was full of players that disliked change, and would refuse to play otherwise. Also disliking TeamDamage led me to think the players were not good enough to avoid hitting their own teammates.

2. #Oceania does not seem welcoming. Although I used to lounge around in the channel from time to time, but it was usually to have a chat with Ry, I was kicked numerous times for being "non-oceania". This made me feel that the Oceania scene did not like to mix with the other side of the globe, and preferred to be shut away inside it's channel.

3. You have no monthly, or even seasonal tournaments, leagues, competitions, or any sign of competitive challenge whatsoever. I find this highly unfortunate but had you the players I would have thought even an 8 person tourney would have been possible during your summer months at the start of this year.

I am not justifing anything that I have said, I am just giving my impression. It is the things above that worry me about moving to Australia, because ZDaemon is a large part of my recreational activity. I daresay it is a bad impression, but it is the one I have been given. I am online here every single day, and I do not miss much in this community, however I do not see real evidence of a great scene. Do you have a seperate website or forums, etc? I hardly feel that this small tournament forum is adequate for what otherwise seems to be a decent scene from what you've said Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andymun
Spamming!


Joined: 13 Mar 2006

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StealthCP wrote:
Ok, my reasons for thinking this were:

1. Rygrass did not put TeamDamage on the ZDS server. This just lead me to think that Oceania was full of players that disliked change, and would refuse to play otherwise. Also disliking TeamDamage led me to think the players were not good enough to avoid hitting their own teammates.

2. #Oceania does not seem welcoming. Although I used to lounge around in the channel from time to time, but it was usually to have a chat with Ry, I was kicked numerous times for being "non-oceania". This made me feel that the Oceania scene did not like to mix with the other side of the globe, and preferred to be shut away inside it's channel.

3. You have no monthly, or even seasonal tournaments, leagues, competitions, or any sign of competitive challenge whatsoever. I find this highly unfortunate but had you the players I would have thought even an 8 person tourney would have been possible during your summer months at the start of this year.

I am not justifing anything that I have said, I am just giving my impression. It is the things above that worry me about moving to Australia, because ZDaemon is a large part of my recreational activity. I daresay it is a bad impression, but it is the one I have been given. I am online here every single day, and I do not miss much in this community, however I do not see real evidence of a great scene. Do you have a seperate website or forums, etc? I hardly feel that this small tournament forum is adequate for what otherwise seems to be a decent scene from what you've said Smile

Czar has setup a website the other day. It's pretty crap but gives you an idea of how many players there are active at the moment (http://www.freewebs.com/oceanicdoom). If you were kicked it would of been because you weren't speaking and your reasons for being in #oceania was questioned.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cybershark
Spamming!


Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Location: off the grid, but still fighting for the users!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh noes! He must have been A SPY! Surprised

And WTF Stealthy? You're moving down there? Shocked Don't knock their scene, they have some dedicated players and are hardly a-fearin' change with the introduction of their own CTF map-pack last week Wink

Robbbbb wrote:
Scave is undoubtedly one of the best players around

Sorry I just have to lol that you guys pulled out the 'Scave card' once more. How often does he play these days? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
andymun
Spamming!


Joined: 13 Mar 2006

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Oh noes! He must have been A SPY! Surprised

And WTF Stealthy? You're moving down there? Shocked Don't knock their scene, they have some dedicated players and are hardly a-fearin' change with the introduction of their own CTF map-pack last week Wink

Robbbbb wrote:
Scave is undoubtedly one of the best players around

Sorry I just have to lol that you guys pulled out the 'Scave card' once more. How often does he play these days? Laughing

He goes by another name, he's on about 6-7 days a week. Played against him tonight Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robbbbb
Born with a creativity deficiency


Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Location: Perth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I pulled the scave card again. Point being? He's on all the time, have a look on IRC then. And that's not to say that other players havent beaten Scave before. He may be our best player, but he certainly has competition down here. Maybe you guys should pull your head out your ass and stop attacking Oceanic players as being less skilled and few. The only reason Europe has so many players is because the population is far greater, as for being better skilled, that's very bland and only a complete, ignorant moron would stipulate that without any reasoning.

If you guys want to run around thinking you're so much better than us, go PM each other in IRC about how great you both are. The rest of us would rather not hear it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
DX-Chain
Spamming!


Joined: 24 Jan 2006

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AUS scene is fine in my opinion. Sure, it could use a kick in the pants with an organized contest, but it's fine by what I have seen.

Plus, they are taking full advantage of a certain TDM league that'll accomodate a division for them Very Happy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stealth
Gone with the wind


Joined: 09 Nov 2004

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've now lost respect for someone I had otherwise thought the Adereth of Oceania. I have already apologized for my comment, and shown my views on what the Oceania scene looks like (to me). There is a lot I have apparently missed out, and I'm thick-headed for not seeing some things. My comment had no meaning apart from improvement, which is apparently not needed. However you do not seem to see this, so I apologize for thinking you would. I shall talk this over at home.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andymun
Spamming!


Joined: 13 Mar 2006

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StealthCP wrote:
Well I've now lost respect for someone I had otherwise thought the Adereth of Oceania. I have already apologized for my comment, and shown my views on what the Oceania scene looks like (to me). There is a lot I have apparently missed out, and I'm thick-headed for not seeing some things. My comment had no meaning apart from improvement, which is apparently not needed. However you do not seem to see this, so I apologize for thinking you would. I shall talk this over at home.

Boohoo, and comparing Rob to Adereth is a slur against Rob.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stealth
Gone with the wind


Joined: 09 Nov 2004

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not, what I was really hinting was that Rob has been very helpful in the past and contributes to this community. Unfortunately you were one of the people I was referring to when I said the Oceania scene didn't look so good. I've rarely seen you be nice to anyone, andymun. Give me a reason to feel different.

And seeing as anyone of you could beat me in a 1on1 hands down, it was not my place to say you do not have good players. Unfortunately, i was under some dim-witted 'impression'. That's all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cybershark
Spamming!


Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Location: off the grid, but still fighting for the users!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto. I'm shit too! Smile

And lol, what's with all the victimisation down there? I never said anything insulting about the Oz scene - quite the reverse. My bad for not knowing Scave is still around (you'd think someone who has as many nicks as me should be more aware of such things Razz). But still, pulling just one name out of the hat everytime your collective skill is questioned is kinda lame.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Robbbbb
Born with a creativity deficiency


Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Location: Perth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
But still, pulling just one name out of the hat everytime your collective skill is questioned is kinda lame.


And if I named anyone else, would you know who they are? He's the only player that you guys know is decent because he is one of the only players you would have seen in action, our doom scene is too segregated for any of our good players to even make a mark worldwide, so yes, we will pull out the scave card, again and again.

edit:
StealthCP, I was hasty and I only read Cybersharks pm before I reposted, and as such I apologise. As for the victimisation, Cybie, it pisses off the whole community, including myself, when you say that we're shit, and then laugh at our "Scave card". As I stated earlier, do you actually know any of our other players to be decent, because if you do, I apologise for my earlier statements.

Now I'll address some of your earlier points, stealth
StealthCP wrote:

1. Rygrass did not put TeamDamage on the ZDS server. This just lead me to think that Oceania was full of players that disliked change, and would refuse to play otherwise. Also disliking TeamDamage led me to think the players were not good enough to avoid hitting their own teammates.

My only response to this is that, because the people who were playing didn't like TeamDamage, that means we're shit? Personally I prefer no TeamDamage also, I don't think that because some players have a different preference means that they're not good, it just means they don't like it. They tried it, and will continue to do so in the future with TDMania.

StealthCP wrote:
2. #Oceania does not seem welcoming. Although I used to lounge around in the channel from time to time, but it was usually to have a chat with Ry, I was kicked numerous times for being "non-oceania". This made me feel that the Oceania scene did not like to mix with the other side of the globe, and preferred to be shut away inside it's channel.

Quite the opposite, I thought. This is not something which would have happened while I was there, I assure you of that as the kicking is something I certainly do not condone, and I happily invite you to the channel. At the moment we have roscoe, domains, lockwolf, chaindude and Joshsmith idling in #Oceania, and you're just as welcome as they are.

StealthCP wrote:
3. You have no monthly, or even seasonal tournaments, leagues, competitions, or any sign of competitive challenge whatsoever. I find this highly unfortunate but had you the players I would have thought even an 8 person tourney would have been possible during your summer months at the start of this year.

We have monthly tournaments, if you look on the zd tournament website, they WERE fairly regular mid-last year, but they've been put on hold for a while. We have difficulties getting wads put onto our servers and that is the main reason for this. In fact I was about to throw another one until chaindude snapped my attention with his TDMania, and everyone was interested. I feel one tournament, for now, is enough.

StealthCP wrote:
Do you have a seperate website or forums, etc? I hardly feel that this small tournament forum is adequate for what otherwise seems to be a decent scene from what you've said Smile

Everything that needs to be said is discussed in #Oceania. I don't think a forum is needed as we use polls, discussions and channel topics.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
revstar
God like!


Joined: 16 Jan 2007

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

instead of just making comments from afar, why dont you just join one of our numerous ctf games and actually see how good we are? i know it's tough for euro players as the ping is so high, but its still possible. I get 350 ping on some far away US servers and i still manage to get a decent game in (ie able to frag with some skill). i ping 400+ on euro servers, and i can still get a good game in.

it would also help boost the oceanic scene as well, right?

btw this invitation is open to all...
hmm maybe we might have to take off the password off the ctf server, but there are other ones we can use. in the meantime, just join #oceania

and yes, sometimes weird stuff happens in #oceania, but on the whole, i think that 90% of us are decent people
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cybershark
Spamming!


Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Location: off the grid, but still fighting for the users!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good to me Rev. My tolerance for run-of-the-mill CTF is low but I definitely need to get some games in on the new OCMP and likewise I'll play anyplace. I'd be in for the Oz ZDS if it weren't at such a ghastly time for me Razz

Robbbbb wrote:
...it pisses off the whole community, including myself, when you say that we're shit...

You're kinda fabricating evidence there Robby as I said nothing that could even remotely be taken that way.

No I'm not up on who's hot in the Oceanic scene as I generally only see them in CTF games and with all the action in there then you don't exactly get chance to appreciate where everyone's from Wink
I will say due to your location and relative lack of servers that Aussie/Kiwi players are the most versatile as they are so used to adverse ping that they never bitch. You could certainly teach those Russians who never leave their home servers a thing or two Laughing

Anyways, yeah, once you're done picking fights for no good reason then you guys need to get this thread back on track. There was a CTF tourney to be organised, no?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Robbbbb
Born with a creativity deficiency


Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Location: Perth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
You're kinda fabricating evidence there Robby as I said nothing that coud even remotely be taken that way.

Fabricating? No. Misunderstood, yes. I simply thought you were implying we're all shit apart from Scave

Cybershark wrote:
Anyways, yeah, once you're done picking fights for no good reason then you guys need to get this thread back on track. There was a CTF tourney to be organised, no?

Personally I think we had a right to defend ourselves, as for the CTF tourney, not happening right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
andymun
Spamming!


Joined: 13 Mar 2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StealthCP wrote:
No, it's not, what I was really hinting was that Rob has been very helpful in the past and contributes to this community. Unfortunately you were one of the people I was referring to when I said the Oceania scene didn't look so good. I've rarely seen you be nice to anyone, andymun. Give me a reason to feel different.

And seeing as anyone of you could beat me in a 1on1 hands down, it was not my place to say you do not have good players. Unfortunately, i was under some dim-witted 'impression'. That's all.

Probably a fair assessment. Once I start talking to someone it's quite different however. It's just that most of the people on ZD piss me off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Oceanic Tournaments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group