ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bones: How about a special Team DM tournament?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> USA Tournaments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
niv
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Bones: How about a special Team DM tournament? Reply with quote

Read topic. 2v2 would be the best for now, and easiest to organize. D5M7 and D5M12 are great Team DM maps.
Gamma
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd join Smile
TheMionicDonut
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as would I
lockwolf
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me would join
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alfred
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be up for a tdm tourney, but those maps don't really give way for much team fraggage imo

They're just pretty basic is all i'm getting at. I think that a Vexdoom or Lazarus tdm tourney would be much cooler...
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would ever run a TDM tournament (or any tournament for that matter, if I could help it) with any dwango maps, it's just so boring Razz. Vex-zdaemon, to me, is the best fit wad for TDM.

However, that seems to have become quite overplayed as well, so we'll see what we can do. There's also a few more wads out there now, and we can do some polls and such to choose.

Other than that, I'm up for running one! Just give me until the end of the week, because after this week is winter vacation Very Happy.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HumanBones wrote:
I don't think I would ever run a TDM tournament (or any tournament for that matter, if I could help it) with any dwango maps, it's just so boring Razz. Vex-zdaemon, to me, is the best fit wad for TDM.

heh, well i wasn't going to say it Razz
but no, that's an unfair generalisation. sure those two are little more than box maps with very little depth but purely as an example then something like DW10 M3 & M5 could be good.

as for Vexation then meh, it's just one of those WADs that people assume is 'best' for TDM because the gamemode is so underplayed on much else. in reality then many FFA maps can be great for it. a lot of Toketrib plays very well in that mode and stuff like Lazarus works very nicely with it too.
a couple of WADs i've revisited over the last two nights - Nowhere-X and Etkhaos would work well for it too.
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the wads I've played, I feel as if it is the best wad for TDM out there. I didn't assume it was, it's how I feel.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i like Vex for TDM or FFA but really maps like 03, 07, 08 and 10 aren't particularly superior to the Dwango maps that niv named. also the corridors on map05 are a bit too tight to be helpful in team games and map09 inevitably sees too much action take place on the two flat blue floor areas.

TLSDM2 is at least the equal of Vex.
[EG]Marine
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in.
GhoulSlayeR
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a Tdm tourny sounds pretty good actually.

Never really liked vex a whole lot, I noticed how EVERY spawn in EVERY map is spawn w/ ssg, ruins the purpose of putting in the boomsticks and chainguns imho.

A really good set of TDM maps is Lazarus, It doesnt have that always spawn with ssg trend so you actually move around in the map more and collect weapons and use the chaingun and boomstick more. You also have more health laying around the maps so you can collect it while your teamate keeps the others off your back and vise versa. The layouts are not as "simple" as Vex's aswell. Map06 of Lazarus has ssg's on almost every spawn so people who are used to it will find the map likeable right away. It is not a bad thing to always spawn with ssg if the map is meant for it, But for every map, It can get old rather quickly and ruin the purpose of other weapons and certain areas of the map.

For a tournament like this, Team damage would have to be enabled. It would add more stratigy to the table instead of the "Both players grab bfg and get 3 spawn points each" one.

Kilgore once told me he was gonna originally have friendly fire for TDM, but decided to make a dmflag for it since it might get abused. I don't see why team damage shouldn't be enabled for a tournament like this Wink
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...decided to make a dmflag for it since...
Hm.. not a dmflag (yes/no). It's a floating point cvar called "teamdamage". That was the zdoom design and I thought it's better to not mess with it.

I think you're referring to the usual practice of setting "teamdamage=0" for public games. It's just common sense from the server admin side given the attitudes of some players out there. However, there is no law that says teamdamage should be zero for more private games.. hell.. I can remember clan games where we used teamdamage=1. It's not a bad choice if you want to reduce mindless spam.
GhoulSlayeR
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
Quote:
...decided to make a dmflag for it since...
Hm.. not a dmflag (yes/no). It's a floating point cvar called "teamdamage". That was the zdoom design and I thought it's better to not mess with it.

I think you're referring to the usual practice of setting "teamdamage=0" for public games. It's just common sense from the server admin side given the attitudes of some players out there. However, there is no law that says teamdamage should be zero for more private games.. hell.. I can remember clan games where we used teamdamage=1. It's not a bad choice if you want to reduce mindless spam.

Ah, slight misunderstanding on my part.

And it does, infact, reduce mindless spam and makes BFG using interesting.
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not against using Dwango 5 maps, but I think there are other good wads out there.

If everyone makes suggestions (and yes I suppose you can add dwango 5 maps Razz), we can start picking from them and get this going.
GhoulSlayeR
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HumanBones wrote:
I'm not against using Dwango 5 maps, but I think there are other good wads out there.

If everyone makes suggestions (and yes I suppose you can add dwango 5 maps Razz), we can start picking from them and get this going.

I would Suggest Lazarus and Onsl3
Oath
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll join if it's Laz. Consider it a suggestion.
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buh. Since tournaments have my attention again, let's get this moving! Seems Lazarus is the front-runner this time so let's go with that.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Some things to think about:

- Map choices
- Number of games
- Fraglimit
- Number of teams

Also, does 2v2 still sound appealing? I'll start looking for stuff like that as well but if I'm not playing it would seem kind of pointless. Razz
lockwolf
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Map choices: Map24 (Mid's Map)
- Number of games: 3
- Fraglimit: 50 each
- Number of teams: 8
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> USA Tournaments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: