ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZDaemon map pack?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rellik_jmd
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: ZDaemon map pack? Reply with quote

I was just reading about a ZD mappack over on the UniDOOM site and I was wondering how this project is going? Is it going to be BOOM compatible? I hope so as I myself am working on kind of the same thing. If I do have my info straight I was gonna tell ya bout some stuff I'm messing with that so far has been pretty fun.

I play NoItems Quake3 every now and then and am incorporating that into my BOOM DM wadpack. I've tested this system out on the 5 maps I have done so far and it works great. First off, as you could guess, it involves there being absolutely no items on the map. No health, ammo, weapons, anything. When a player spawns they are in a short narrow hall that's also a conveyor. This conveyor drags them over a pile of weapons and then chucks them into a teleporter and end up on the map fully loaded and ready to rock. I love playing like this because it makes the game much more basic. You switch to your weapon of choice and just purely fight. There's no items to pick up so fragging is your only goal. I set it up so on Skill 1/2 it's NoItems style, and skills 3/4/5 are regular DM. It's pretty fun IMO, but it's something you can add so that every map can be played in two very different ways.

It also makes it real easy to make the map compatible with an Excessive weapons patch like in Quake3. Very Happy

The other trick which is really handy is a teleporter that teleports you to a randomly chosen spot, instead of one fixed spot. It involves teleporting the player to a sector outside the arena, the floor of this sector is attached to four other sectors which control which direction the 1st floor scrolls. A monster on a conveyor is constantly tripping wires that keep changing the direction the floor is scrolling which makes it impossible to judge just where you're going to end up when you enter the teleport. I've only made it teleport to 4 different locations so far but I imagine with a little work a person could greatly increase that. Just something I whipped up a few days ago that worked really well that you guys might find handy.
Ralphis
That blue hedgehog again of all places!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, noone really wanted to participate in the map pack thing. Maybe I didn't promote it enough though. I'd still love to do it. and your ideas rule. Only problem is with the conveyer/monster idea is that DM, by default, doesnt have monsters which could pose a problem.
999cop
Daemon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Fyre has up to 25 maps or close as he claimed
enVision
A.K.A. Rat-Arsed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Bangs head off Wall*

YES, the fyre will still be taking in entries.

It will be BOOM compatible, but try to make it as compatible with doom2.exe as possible. I removed all BOOM features from my map...
Rellik_jmd
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I know I'll have to get people used to using monsters when they play my mappack, but hopefully they'll all RTFM. :p I plan on using lots of BOOM effects for stuff like the semi-random teleporter, another remotely like it which instead makes a random powerup spawn at a location ( instead of the same one over and over ). I was considering going for vanilla compatablity but since the big three online ports (ZD, Skulltag, and Legacy) are all BOOM compatible I decided against it. I personally want more editing features available to me and there's a lot of cool stuff you can do with BOOM.

Here's some screenshots of a few of the levels, as you might guess by looking at 'em I'm actually making a FreeDM IWAD as a FreeDOOM sub-project. There's still lots of work to be done but I think it'll be pretty bitchin. Heh, the texture work is going much faster now since I realized that there are loads of quake1/2/3 texture packs that are free to use in non-commercial projects. Anyway, take a look, I'd appreciate any input.
enVision
A.K.A. Rat-Arsed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, can't wait to play it.
Ralphis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um, you guys are thinking of a different project. The unidoom project was supposed to be all ORIGINAL maps for a wad, fyre's project is a compilation of the best wads in use for tournaments
enVision
A.K.A. Rat-Arsed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um....I am and always have talked about fyres mappack in this topic.
Ralphis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not what he was talking about.
Rellik_jmd
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was talking about the from-scratch map pack. I thought the one fyrestorm was doing was finished. Sorry for any confusion. Smile
999cop
Daemon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyre wouldn't accept custom textured maps though
deathz0r
Custom Title

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not true in the slightest. There's some maps that have custom textures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
enVision
A.K.A. Rat-Arsed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*big ass mutha trucker SIGH*

He said we couldn't use new textures in the rules...
Although, he did say that sky textures were ok to use but that hardlys counts for textures being allowed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: