ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retiring from ZD.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pritch
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Retiring from ZD. Reply with quote

On August 31st I will be giving zdaemon up indefinitely. I will complete any tourney matches, then that will be it. I've already had a few queries about this so this thread is to clarify why I'm doing this and to let you know that this is not a knee-jerk reaction to some recent events, but that I had this summer planned to be my last on ZD for some time now. If you don't know me this won't bother you much Smile

There are a few reasons. The main one is that I'm 22, going into my last year of postgraduate degree, and I need to get my head down and focused on the task. This time next year I intend to be working in a decent job in London and too busy to play computer games. It's fair enough, it's my time.

There's also the issue of stuff that happened in the last week or so. Samiam had a good go at me and Humanbones for something childish and immature made my another member of Unidoom. Now I want to make it clear I don't blame her for being angry at this, even though I think this whole situation is ludicrously melodramatic.

But what got to me was that I thought I had established a good relationship with Sam and it really annoyed me that she simply saw me as part of that and, to quote, 'supported it', when I did neither. Basically she wasn't prepared to treat me as individual, so that's that really. That's her call, and it's fair enough, like I said I can see why this is upsetting her and others, but I just won't be part of it, nor will I be held accountable for it.

You see I then realised, as I had begun to suspect, that the way things are I could be in Unidoom, or get on with Sam et al., but not both, which is an unacceptable position to be in. Well, Unidoom have always been loyal to me and whatever their other sins, they are loyal to the individual and to each other. Seeing as I won't quit UD that made my position within the community untennable in my opinion. I realised that however long I stayed around, I would be in the middle of a bit of a mess zd politics wise, because of my natural desire to try and treat everyone fairly being taken advantage of. And that's not why I log in to play after a hard day's work. I'm simply not prepared to be a part of zd for as long as this political situation goes on. Maybe one day it will be resolved and I could think about coming back, but because of my main reason for going, I dunno about that.

So it's an unfortunate situation. I don't blame anybody, from my point of view this is nobody's fault, I just want out of it, and it comes at an apposite time. I just do hope for ZD's sake it gets resolved. Doom, although ti is just a game, is the greatest game ever, and ZD along with ZDoom is the greatest advertisement for its legacy carrying on into the 21st century. These two sourceports are more important than any one person, or any clan. That's why I do have a great respect for both Randy Heit and the ZD team. Whatever the criticisms, and regardless of whether or not they get something wrong, I think in their own minds they always try and put the best interests of their product first. It's difficult to ask for more than that, given the long-distance nature of an internet community.

Anyway I go out with way more positives than negatives as far as I'm concerned. Most of the time zdaemon is played with great sportsmanship, as all games should be, and I put this down to a trickle-down OS attitude. It's especially evident in tourneys, which is excellent to see. Long may that continue.

I made a thread that has become a bit of a monster, as I'm sure you all know. I posed a simple question designed to stir actions, and though it did degenerate I want it clear that I was impressed by many of the replies. I may not have made myself clear on that before and I apologise. It is a shame some of the things that came later but again that's an argument I'll have none of. It doesn't interest me. What I want to see is the next generation in servers, havng fun, and bringing more of their friends with them as a result. To use an old phrase it's about 'bums on seats'. Like I said, Doom is the game I care about the most. I argue its case in real life and I care about its survival now. And the future is youth. But anyway that topic has nothing to do with me leaving, so that clears that up for a few people who asked.

That just leaves a few thank yous, or rather a lot. BOD, particularly nogame, - thank you for caring more about how the game is played than what the result may be. Thank you for including me in your numbers, and for setting an example for the community to follow. Long may it continue. A big thank you to the zd team past and present for the game itself, to all the top-rated players I've watched, admired and occasionally riled at (Arrogance Smile), I really do admire your skills, whatever clan you're in! And a big thank you to the mappers, zd has some of the best, and it's always a joy to play such professionally produced wads. You have exceeded the quality of the original game's maps, and added to the Doom universe.

Though I won't play anymore I will continue to be around dw and #zdoom from time to time so I hope to see some of you there.

[EDIT] Yeah I'm sorry this is a bit long and bullshitty (again), I do tend to ramble, as you know if you've heard me on teamspeak Smile

All I really want to say is thanks and GGs.

Last edited by pritch on Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
[dp]FairLight
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope to see you more around in #zdoom then.
Aurelian
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck, cya round sometime hopefully
izm_
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry to see you go Pritch... hope everything in the future works out.
[dp]Eclipse
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck Pritch, and earn some real money! :]
Punaxe
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same from me. ggs.
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no fucking comment
Gollum
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[PRITCH] on top!

you've come to be one of the coolest guys on my buddy list. I could write a big long farewell, but all you really need to know is that you will be missed. GGs, and GL/HF in the real world. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fodders_DS
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be missed m8, it's been a pleasure playing you and talking to you. Good luck with all you attempt in the future.

Can you rewrite your epitaph with shorter words for Ralphis?

Last edited by fodders_DS on Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tiki
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See ya!
Adios.
DoomGuy666
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to you in the future, Pritch! I hate to see you not playing zdaemon anymore, but that's the choice you've made. Doom truly is the greatest game of all time, and honestly I don't think I could bring myself to quit. You have done what I couldn't, OMFG!!!

Take it easy Pritch! UD ON TOP!
Angel 91
All Your flags are mine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathz0r
Custom Title

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HumanBones wrote:
no fucking comment
Seconded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GhostlyDeath
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Retiring from ZD. Reply with quote

pritch wrote:
And a big thank you to the mappers, zd has some of the best, and it's always a joy to play such professionally produced wads. You have exceeded the quality of the original game's maps, and added to the Doom universe.

Cool
killingblair
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C ya Pritch. Sad
switcher
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to see any DooMer hang 'em up here... even a UD! Wink
Seriously Pritch, all the best in your future endeavors.
Make sure you come on back after you've got an education, career, life, family, mortgage... boy, glad I'm done with all that shit.
Lotsa time for DooM! Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
[dp]Eclipse
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Education, Carreer, life, family, mortgage and Pension by the time you have all that you will need. But hey, that new walking stick is really an advantage to the fist.. Even with beserk. GL.
Shadow_Ghost
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hate to see you go man, but i guess its for the better. Good luck on getting that degree and get a good job Exclamation Very Happy
Fred512
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heart u pritch come back soon Very Happy
Crann
Unstoppable!

Location: Home of Beer, the Maple Leafs and Chesterfields: Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adios. And one-word farewells don't suit me, so I'll quote a fairly talented musician:

Billy Joe Armstrong wrote:
It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right. I hope you have the time of your life.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: