ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Good GSN#03 Days (2.5 Years ago) .: Petition :.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poignant
Still Spamming

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys can you stop calling Tokes work. It’s a wad you love or you hate, no need to out right flame it. It was a very popular server for a long time, Raider has already given a full explanation for the rotation.

Last edited by Poignant on Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Fred512
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excelblue wrote:
I'd like for it to be back, but I think we should all take a different approach.

We should probably get Doom2.net or Quakeworld.us to host a similar server with a similar scheme (eg. Quakeworld.us #03 Dwango5 FFA) or pull out the money ourselves. Heh, GSN is no longer hosting popular FFA's, so it's time that someone chips in and replaces it. Question is... who has the money?

Quakeworld vanished and doom2.net will never make a good enough server for 16. i'll sign that petition btw.
deathz0r
Custom Title

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whine, whine, whine. Servers don't last forever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fred512
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathz0r wrote:
Whine, whine, whine. Servers don't last forever.

but neither do the players
DoomGuy666
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll definitely sign the petition. I, too, miss the old days of GSN#3 Dwango5. It was there that I spent many hours on zdaemon getting better. Sure, I fell victim to omgmaps, but regardless, I'd love to play dwango5 again. I miss FFA!!!
Blas
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I agree that a "petition" may not be the best option for attempting to bring back "the good ol' days" of Dwango5 GSN#3, I don't see how it can do any harm to sign it, considering that I am all for it, so you can include my signature on that petition. Very Happy

I too remember what it was like about three years ago on ZDaemon. There was the 16-player and the 8-player FFA Dwango5 servers that were both active at almost any given time. As Raider mentioned in his previous post on another thread that has been quoted, it was I who originally convinced him to run a 16-player FFA server, and with good reason, it was a blast! On the other hand, however, it was no surprise that Dwango5 almost completely died out, it was overplayed and over-hosted on many servers. It was "the WAD of choice" for a very long time, and there wasn't many other options back then that were being utilized. I feel that a decent amount of time has passed since this WAD was overplayed, and with the proper map rotation, I feel that this WAD can help regenerate FFA gameplay since it has seemed to somewhat die out a little bit since the introduction of CTF (don't misinterpret that, I am still all for CTF).

Now, I am looking at the current list of servers hosting Dwango5 FFA. There is a 6-player doom2.net server that is full. However, it is only map01, not a rotation. The only Dwango5 map rotation FFA servers that I see are doom2.net servers, and with no players. As I said earlier, I am all for signing the petition for a classic Dwango5 FFA server or servers. This includes most if not all of the dmflags that were used, and a decent map rotation that makes most everyone happy (you can't make everyone happy no matter what). Unfortunately, I no longer have the .cfg files for the server that I used to host with a good map rotation, but trying to redo it to the best of my ability, it went something like this:

(starts on map01)
addmap "map07"
addmap "map02"
addmap "map01"
addmap "map17"
addmap "map07"
addmap "map01"
addmap "map02"
addmap "map11"
addmap "map01"
addmap "map14"
addmap "map07"
addmap "map01"
addmap "map17"
addmap "map02"
addmap "map01"
addmap "map18"
addmap "map14"
addmap "map01"

Now that is just my own configuration that worked well and made for a very active server. Notice how the more popular map01 is every 3rd or 4th map for example, and map07 appears a little bit less, followed by map02 and then a variety of other maps sprinkled in there.

Now, as Raider mentioned, the 16-player FFA server seemed to be too demanding on the hardware it was being ran on, so removing it was understandable, as no one wants to play on an unstable, laggy server. However, I do see two 16 player CTF server being ran on GSN right now, and an attempt to bring back both the 8-player and the 16-player Dwango5 FFA servers is perhaps asking for a bit much, and it is not likely that both would be active at the same time, and since 16-player games seem to be a strain on the server...... perhaps a 12-player classic Dwango5 FFA server would be an ideal solution?
Samiam
G-String Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run the GSN #3 Rotation server, and yes the wads change daily, Dwango5 is still on there with a 16 player limit, here's the wads and days they are on;

Sunday - omgmaps player limit 16
Monday - jditxe player limit 16
Tuesday - cybercrime2 player limit 16
Wednesday - nutty player limit 8
Thursday - winterdm player limit 8 (added last week)
Friday - zodiac player limit 8
Saturday - Dwango5 player limit 16

Dwango5 and omg will probably always be on there, the others I change over from time to time, they are all good and fun FFA wads, I've had requests for Crimson to go on the rotation too, so that will be added, anything else you'd like to see on there just ask. There are plenty of Dwango5 FFA servers up, so don't bother asking for #3 to just host that 24/7.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, how come there is neither brit11, nor exec when those wads have proved their worth year after year on the other side of the Atlantic? I would not be surprised if either (or both) of these wads become more popular than d5 or omgmaps.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's that Kil? how dare you try to derail the jihad! Laughing
nah i don't understand that one either - people always seem to be crying out for Exec on US servers.

y'know, at first i wasn't even sure if this was a joke thread or not.

regardless of style of gameplay how can anyone not agree that playing the same WAD day in day out is kinda dull.
i played DW5 for maybe a couple of months after i got here. then... hmm... well, i got bored.

i mean sure you might have your favouite movies that you can watch time and time again but does that stop you going to the DVD rental place or watching something new on TV?

yes it's comfortable having a 'home server' you can drop in on anytime and get straight into the swing of things on any map, but how about some of you hardliners make an effort to maybe take a look for something else you might like?
if not then i can only propose that some sort of system to stop EXP from being gathered by DW5 veterans be enabled. Razz
play for the love of the game damnit!

suppose GSN were to cowtow to this? in a couple of months time you start getting the 'petition to get something else on #03'. swings & roundabouts...
i said this in another thread recently and i'm saying it again - back the hell off GSN. they don't have as much leeway serverwise as they used to and they are doing a fantastic job of getting new stuff seen now. don't like it? then go bug some other host or get your own damn server.

ClimHazzard wrote:
If you're for it just post in here that your all for it. If not, stay out of this thread and please keep it on topic and not turn it into a flamewar

oh genius... let's all make a controversial thread and say that only one side is allowed to represent...

Blas wrote:
...and then a variety of other maps sprinkled in there.

you seriously have the nerve to use that phrase here?

i see that Samiam has delivered the final say here. so guess it's all become pretty academic now, but still i felt the need to speak on the subject.

reading shit like this is such an inspiration for mappers everywhere to go hang themselves.
thanks a bunch guys.
Fred512
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how come there is neither brit11, nor exec when those wads have proved their worth year after year on the other side of the Atlantic? I would not be surprised if either (or both) of these wads become more popular than d5 or omgmaps.

not a bad idea. d5, d12, execution, and brit11 on rotation. i would play everyday Very Happy
climhazzard
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, the last thing I want here is a flamewar between d5 and omgmaps
Poignant wrote:
Guys can you stop calling Tokes work. It’s a wad you love or you hate, no need to out right flame it. It was a very popular server for a long time, Raider has already given a full explanation for the rotation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Samiam
G-String Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brit and exec were on but when GSN lost 10 servers they went down with them. Just let me know what you want, there are so many great wads out there, and it's not a problem to rotate the rotation with new things added each week. I'd happily swop d5 and omg for brit and exec, I'd probably be hung from the ZD rafters if I did though hehe. I'm going to try and swop one or two wads over each week on there, to keep everything fresh and new (apart from omg and d5). And of course good new FFA wads coming out by the communities mappers will always have a slot on there in the rotations somewhere.
climhazzard
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but how many of them are US, 24 map rotations, 16 players, and exp enabled... lets see, 0
Samiam wrote:
There are plenty of Dwango5 FFA servers up, so don't bother asking for #3 to just host that 24/7.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really about exp? Pssh, Just have fun Razz
climhazzard
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if theres going to be an ffa server exp would be nice to have on
switcher
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HumanBones wrote:
Is it really about exp? Pssh, Just have fun Razz

Well, as previously mentioned... it seems to be what brings em crawling out of the woodwork.
Personally I couldn't give a shit... but if it brings the players out, who cares?
Let's face it, FFA on ZDaemon is completely dead now compared to what it was before we started rotating all these unknown (and largely never played) wads onto the scene.
How about we begin to rotate out D5M1 as the standard 1 on 1 map and replace IT with someones new homespun artwork every week?
I made tons of maps in the late 90s too... but you won't see me ramming them down anyones throat.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Admiral-Shakal
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got my vote clim. nuff said.

Being one of the origonal FFA masters Im sure if you asked Bazooka he would sign it as well.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admiral-Shakal wrote:
Being one of the original FFA masters Im sure if you asked Bazooka he would sign it as well.

lol, i wouldn't bet on it. FFA is not where he spends most of his time these days.
and being Spanish i doubt GSN factors much into his thinking.
Fred512
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u might be surprised shark
climhazzard
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody spends there time playing FFA these days because ITS DEAD. This is one of the reasons of this petition is to revive FFA
Cybershark wrote:
Admiral-Shakal wrote:
Being one of the original FFA masters Im sure if you asked Bazooka he would sign it as well.

lol, i wouldn't bet on it. FFA is not where he spends most of his time these days.
and being Spanish i doubt GSN factors much into his thinking.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: