ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest ZDaemon update forgets/messes up my video settings.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfendog
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:04 pm    Post subject: Latest ZDaemon update forgets/messes up my video settings. Reply with quote

Literally yesterday I had finally got my ZDaemon setup working decently again. (Linux as host OS, running VirtualBox running Windows 10.) I finally somehow got it to go true fullscreen (no borders on the top and bottom), apparently from simply moving the VM from my NTFS disk to my ext4 one. I have no idea how that could affect the video modes and stuff, but it did.

Anyway, the new ZDaemon update that was released earlier today has introduced some change which:

1. *Forgets* my setting to use native fullscreen every single time I quit a game. (Not even the whole ZDaemon application.) So I have to re-enable it every single time I join a server, which makes it feel like such a chore. If I leave it as default, it's in some sort of "semi-windowed" bizarre state. I've never seen it before.
2. Even when you switch it back to fullscreen (either type), it has the borders and crap again... and seems to perform worse again.

All of this frankly feels like it happens randomly, without me having changed anything, so maybe what I've reported is meaningless. But I had to mention it now that I'm finally able to post here.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case can you check your ZDaemon Launcher, go to Settings -> General -> Video Mode.

Check to see whether any override is being set there or not.

Make sure it is set to "Last Used".
Wolfendog
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AF-Domains.net wrote:
In this case can you check your ZDaemon Launcher, go to Settings -> General -> Video Mode.

Check to see whether any override is being set there or not.

Make sure it is set to "Last Used".

Somehow, it had set itself to "windowed" there. Setting it to "last used" appears to have got rid of this particular issue. But it freezes the whole VM when I try to go fullscreen in the VM... But that is probably unrelated to ZDaemon. I have to restart it and try again and perhaps wait until the "title screen" is gone for it to not freeze. Sigh. So many problems with my setup... Was the same with VMware before. Especially on Linux as host.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See whether Borderless works for you under those circumstances rather than Native. (Unless that was already attempted)

Tests on this end on multiple versions of Windows and also hosted under WINE didn't otherwise highlight any stability issues when it came to different screen mode types.
Wolfendog
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just changed it from "borderless fullscreen" to "native fullscreen" and that makes it not freeze the VM when I fullscreen the VM. Still has borders (in both modes, ironically!) on the top and bottom, but that's (apparently) a different issue and at least I can play the game now again.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it; glad to know you're able to play the game once more.

Moving to Rejected Bugs, but the workaround is still valid if this crops up again for anyone else.

I suspect that what occurred in this instance was the result of a couple of CVAR changes between 1.10.22 and 1.10.23, specifically those that were accounted for by the launcher's specific Video Mode settings.

For default cases this shouldn't crop up.

If the "Video Mode" in the launcher for whatever reason reverts or a condition is encountered that results in that occurring, detail what was done (if possible) or at least report it and it can be investigated further.

Due to that detail, this topic will remain open.
Wolfendog
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh...

Today when I started ZDaemon, the screen size had shrunk to an extreme degree with massive black borders in the top and bottom. Out of desperation, I decided to try the new "change blit mode" (I think it was called) to see if that would fix these bizarre video issues (which could be partially or even fully caused by the virtual machine software). Sadly, it not only didn't fix anything, but has broken my ZDaemon and locked me out from it as it immediately crashes when I try to join a game, not allowing me to access the in-game menu system in order to revert the "blit mode". (Yes, I saw the warning, but I was desperate.)

I don't understand how it's technically possible for things to change day by day without me changing anything in ZDaemon, Windows 10 in the VM, Virtual Box, or the host OS (Debian Linux). I am forced to run the open source GPU drivers because the official, closed source binary blobs from NVIDIA cause my entire system to freeze and crash constantly on Linux. Even though my card is explicitly listed as supported in the Debian manual. (Never had any issues with that while running Windows as the host OS on the same hardware.)

Not a week ago I seemed to have perfect fullscreen in ZDaemon which now has shrunk with increasingly thick black borders in the top and bottom. It feels embarrassing to even report it since it sounds nonsensical/made-up. Yet things keep breaking and (rarely) even fixing themselves randomly without me doing anything that could possibly be related to any of this.

I did switch from VMware to VirtualBox recently, but even after I dropped the former, things have significantly changed in terms of performance and available resolutions for ZDaemon to "see" and be able to let me select. It's beyond weird.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the blitmode setting it is entirely unrelated and shouldn't be touched in this case. If it hasn't already been changed back, it should be set to blitmode 1 once more. The setting was added in a number of years ago for certain uncommon cases for NVidia users.

On the launcher side the only adjustment made internally was to the internal ordering concerning vid_mode, option 1 being 'Windowed' rather than 'Fullscreen - Native'. This was done to better accommodate a transition from the old 'fullscreen' and 'fullscreen_bl' CVARs to the singular 'vid_mode'. Unfortunately that one slipped by. Even then, after adjusting (or re-adjusting) it to 'Last Used' or back to 'Fullscreen - Native' would have only needed to be done once.

1) What resolution are you using (or trying to use)?
2) Are you still in borderless or using Native Fullscreen?
3) If you're using Native Fullscreen, in Virtualbox do you have it set to scale your screen? (While testing within a VM here - VMWorkstation - if I want to do this then 'Stretch Guest -> Keep Aspect Ratio Stretch' is used. You'll need to check for the equivalent under VirtualBox)
Wolfendog
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first of all, I found the setting "vid_blitmode" in a ZDaemon config file and set it to 1 (was 0) to get back into ZDaemon at all...

1) On both the host OS and the Windows 10 VM's desktop, I use my monitor's native resolution which is the standard 1920 x 1080 pixels. This is what I always set the video mode in ZDaemon (when it's available).
2) Native. The non-native fullscreen becomes a bizarre Franken-mode which is neither fullscreen nor windowed. (Mentioned earlier in this thread.)
3) I'm unsure what you mean by this, but I of course have the option checked called "Auto-resize Guest Display", which simply means that if you change the dimensions of the windowed VirtualBox window showing the VM, it changes the resolution so that the desktop looks sane and doesn't require you to scroll around in the virtual desktop. But this was the same with VMware and never was a problem in the past.

All these problems really started when switching from Windows to Linux as the host OS. VMware on Linux sadly appears to be orders of magnitude worse in performance and wonkiness compared to the same program running on Windows, which is why I was forced to switch to VirtualBox.

1920 x 1080 and many other resolutions are not available in ZDaemon for me anymore. Instead, it has forced itself down to use the maximum resolution available in the in-game list of resolutions: 1920 x 995.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, do you make use of the VirtualBox software on the Guest OS as well?

If so, it sounds like the resolution it has made available is based off fthe available dimensions within the guest client area (if it is basing that off of the guest being run out of a window for instance).

Perhaps it's a setting within VirtualBox that could lock it to a specific resolution based on the available area. I cannot be sure.

Edit: Some topics out there seem to indicate that the option "Enable 3D Acceleration" could be the culprit for your guest configuration; perhaps attempt to disable that and see whether it makes a difference.
Wolfendog
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AF-Domains.net wrote:
Hmm, do you make use of the VirtualBox software on the Guest OS as well?

Assuming that you mean the "guest additions" (kind of VM drivers), yes, that's a must for any VM to run on today's hardware (it seems).
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, just wanted to clarify there.

Just in case it was missed I made an edit to my previous post:
"Edit: Some topics out there seem to indicate that the option "Enable 3D Acceleration" could be the culprit for your guest configuration; perhaps attempt to disable that and see whether it makes a difference."

Perhaps give that a try to see what happens.
Wolfendog
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just tried it but it seems to have no impact on the resolutions that ZDaemon can use. Same thing, in other words. Sad
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is.. bizarre.

The way it fetches available resolutions is quite generic.

Could be something obscure somewhere. (I don't use VirtualBox in this context so cannot really say)
Wolfendog
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, when I turned on the VM and launched ZDaemon, it had the record-small resolution with ridiculous borders all around the little stamp-sized screen (slight exaggeration).

I turned it off, turned "3D acceleration" back on, started it and launched ZDaemon again. Full 1920 x 1080 with no borders at all...

It probably won't stick. The next time I start it, it'll more than likely be back to black borders (different resolution). It's driving me crazy.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a bizarre case.
Wolfendog
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AF-Domains.net wrote:
Definitely a bizarre case.

I agree, and it didn't stick. Back to borders with no changes. Maybe it does have something to do with the dimensions of the virtual desktop.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hotfix hsa been released that deals with an edge-case that was related to the migrated video mode options.

Although it may well not apply to your specific case, I'd recommend updating nevertheless.

The release article for reference purposes:
https://zdaemon.org/ktarticle.php/2323
Wolfendog
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I always update since ZDaemon does it automatically, but I still get the "random limited resolution with huge black borders on all sides" issue every day now. I have tried maximizing and changing the VM's "window square" in an attempt to "trick" ZDaemon into seeing the actual desired resolution (1920 x 1080), but in the video settings, it's just limited to these lesser resolutions. Very frustrating and puzzling. As mentioned before, I have been able to play in actual fullscreen with this exact setup and no changes made by me, but it's apparently happening at random. Extremely strange.

I've been suggested to run ZDaemon on Linux through Wine, but I really wanted to separate things for security. Also, I suspect that it wouldn't run well if at all, based on my past Wine experiences.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few do run ZDaemon through WINE quite frequently.

If it is an option I'd recommend giving it a try regardless, there may have been improvements within WINE in the meantime to make for a better experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Rejected Bugs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: