ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Safe switch in the Rocket Launcher and the BFG

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Looper
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:40 am    Post subject: Safe switch in the Rocket Launcher and the BFG Reply with quote

Short story short:
Original Doom prevents the player from shooting, if you hold fire button down while switch the weapon into RL or BFG. It's the "OS way" and it's all good in that sense.

Problem:
It causes a lot of desyncing

Why:
Because if you click the fire button down exactly perfectly down in your own screen, you will see a rocket/bfg shot and ammo reduced in your client. Problem is, it never shot as server thinks you clicked too early. This causes shots that deal no damage, or invisible shots that kill randomly.

I think I am pretty good with timing this kind of "safe mechanism", as it is present in the original Doom. It is just super annoying because the netcode is not perfect. EVEN if you rapidly spam the fire button by clicking rapildy, it will make the actualy rocket come out of the weapon in a 'random time' as there's usually "soft locked in server but not in client" situation.

Solution: remove it or leave it as an option if someone wants to use it in their OS servers. Please don't leave it "on" as a default, as it causes a lot of annoyance. I personally dislike this change a lot, and I know I am not the only one as several people have contacted me about this.

First I said "well, it is present in the OS, so seems fine in here, too." No, it desyncs too often!
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This behaviour has been reverted for 1.10.17.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Implemented Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: