ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEXTUREx and PNAMES without surplus Doom2 records

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cockad
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: TEXTUREx and PNAMES without surplus Doom2 records Reply with quote

Hello!

I have been testing this for a while and I thought this could also be a bug report as well, but I would say now it's rather a feature request.

Here are two example wads demonstrating different texture "parsing" or I don't know how it's called:

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/aIouH8nElue0tw4AUZmUnpfG6mOXRhvObD9RQ8sB9qB

The textur.wad contains just two new patches for textures but the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES contain all the records for Doom2 iwad textures and the two new textures as well. This works as it should.

The textur2.wad contains the two new patches and a dummy one and TEXTURE1 and PNAMES only contain the records for these. (no iwad records)

But in the textur2 the north wall in the map won't get the BRICK7 iwad texture. It gets the other grey texture. Why?

It could be a feature request that the iwad records in PNAMES and TEXTURE1 should be optional, as this information has already been obtained from iwad itself. So pwad shouldn't override PNAMES and TEXTURE1 info from iwad.

Currently, ZDaemon only supports the first version correctly, which is a substitute for the original records from the iwad. (override original records from iwad by pwad records)
The second version would be an additive method where ZDaemon wouldn't replace original iwad texture info but would only add the new texture infos from pwad. And pwad shouldn't contain the surplus texture infos from iwad.

I can't explain better, but other zdoom-based source ports can understand new texture infos in pwads without iwad texture infos in pwad.
Flambeau
Malibeau

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TEXTUREx and PNAMES without surplus Doom2 records Reply with quote

cockad wrote:

But in the textur2 the north wall in the map won't get the BRICK7 iwad texture. It gets the other grey texture. Why?

Hey Cockad,
textur2.wad has 3 entries in the texture1, and alphabetical the first full wall texture is BROWNGR8.
Normally when there is a missing texture in texture1 it will replace it with the all known ASHWALL2 texture.
Since your textur2.wad doesnt have ASHWALL2 in it, it replaces the missing texture (BRICK7) with the first wall texture, BROWNGR8.

cockad wrote:

It could be a feature request that the iwad records in PNAMES and TEXTURE1 should be optional, as this information has already been obtained from iwad itself. So pwad shouldn't override PNAMES and TEXTURE1 info from iwad.

Currently, ZDaemon only supports the first version correctly, which is a substitute for the original records from the iwad. (override original records from iwad by pwad records)
The second version would be an additive method where ZDaemon wouldn't replace original iwad texture info but would only add the new texture infos from pwad. And pwad shouldn't contain the surplus texture infos from iwad.

As far as I know ZDaemon only loads one texture1, and thats the last one in order of loaded wads.
You only need to make a new Texture1 if you want to include custom textures.
But if you also use IWAD textures, you should import those from the IWAD base resource when making your Texture1 to include them.

So Pwads dont override PNAMES / TEXTURE1 info from IWAD's
(pls correct me if I am wrong)
cockad
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: What is the reason? Reply with quote

Quote:
it replaces the missing texture (BRICK7) with the first wall texture

Yeah, the problem is that it is missing. In ZDoom it works well.

Quote:
ZDaemon only loads one texture1, and thats the last one in order of loaded wads.

That might be a problem. So if you have more pwads with different texture infos loaded at once, will only the texture info of the last one be loaded and taken into account?
Then by knowing that the last wad (currently) should contain all the textures required for a project. And you also have to copy texture1 entries from iwad again.

Quote:
you should import those from the IWAD base resource when making your Texture1 to include them.

Yes, I understand its function, but I don't understand the reason for it.

All the other zdoom related source ports don't ignore iwad texture entries if new textures from one or more TEXTURE1s (or 2s) are loaded. That's why I think this could also be a feature request.

In ZDoom pwads can have iwad texture info, but it's not necessary/required if there are custom textures in pwad but at the same time the maps also use iwad textures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Pending Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: