ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Respawning into objects

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cockad
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Respawning into objects Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or it is considered to be a feature request. When "spawn where died" dmflag is activated, the players can respawn and can get stuck in obstacles or objects.

Can this case be handled the same way as the damaging floors? So if the player was respawned into the object then the program would just teleport them back to the starting point. Thus they can't get stuck and don't need to reconnect either.

Maybe this could be done by giving the stuck player an artiteleport artifact and activating it immediately.
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to confirmed.

Here is a demo wad: http://85.214.149.120/demowads/samespawnspot_demo1.wad
The map shows how you can get stuck:

● Ceiling (or floor) moves, you die and respawn. There is not not enough space to spawn.
● You die on a bridge and respawn.
● A thing spawns at the place you died before you respawn and you stuck in a Thing.

If nukage kills you, you spawn on the Player Start (that's correct).
This should also happen if you would spawn in a place you stuck (bug).
Fix: Spawn on the Player Start.

Hint: Use Spawn Where Died (sv_samespawnspot 1).
cockad
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceiling (or floor) moves

Does this also refer to the crushing ceilings/floors?

I tested your wad and I can't die at the left switch where the torch appears because the rocket thrusts me away from the torch.
A minor question to this: How can the rockets of the rocket launcher be set so they could hurt the player but wouldn't thrust him?

On the other hand, there is an interesting thing about respawns.

If I go to the lowering ceiling and shoot into the wall (facing towards the wall) I will be definitely thrusted back to the floor in ZDaemon and in ZDoom too. But when I respawn, ZDaemon somehow puts me back from where I shot the rocket and thus I get stuck into the ceiling. But at the same time ZDoom puts me where my body was previously thrusted to. Thus: no getting stuck at all.

The same phenomenon happens at the bridge. When the player is respawned ZDaemon puts him back to the bridge, while in ZDoom you'll be respawned on the normal floor.

So for me it seems that the thrusted deaths have something to do with the respawns.
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crushers work the same way as the nukage does. It's a death without a killer (player/monster) and so you spawn at the Player Start.

Important is, it's the place where you die, not where your corpse stops sliding.

Here 3 demos which show sticking after respawn:
http://85.214.149.120/demos/2019-07-25_191803_samespawnspot_demo1.zdd
http://85.214.149.120/demos/2019-07-25_191609_samespawnspot_demo1.zdd
http://85.214.149.120/demos/2019-07-25_191541_samespawnspot_demo1.zdd
cockad
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the sliding can be clearly seen in the bridge demo. Your corpse is thrusted away, though you are respawned into the bridge.
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed for 1.10.10.
cockad
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: respawn protection :( Reply with quote

Hi!

This works as it should, but if the respawn protection is on, then the program won't put you back to the start.

Can it be fixed so that if the respawn protection dmflag is on then program would wait that 2 seconds and decide after that whether you should be placed back to the start or leave you where you were at the moment of your death?

And another bug coming from this: when you die on damaging or instant floors and repsawn protection is on you won't be placed back to the start either.
Flambeau
Malibeau

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many more situations where respawning at the same place is unwanted. Deathpits is just one of them. What if you die in the path of a projectile spawner (like in some LA maps). You would keep dying.

As you suggested in your original post, giving a artiteleport could be a workaround, which is possible by making a respawn ACS script and give that inventory item. But you would have to be quick to activate it tho Very Happy
cockad
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep dying but you can jump out of their path, though it's not easy.

Quote:
(like in some LA maps)

But just bear in mind that those maps have been designed for survival gameplay in most cases. Hence, creators didn't have to think of respawn at all.

Quote:
making a respawn ACS script

But we are talking about dmflags here. Creating ACS scripts is wad specific and not a global zdaemon option that could be applied to any of the wads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Fixed Bugs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: