ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Win7/10 Volume Mixer issue with ZD and .ogg music

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Win7/10 Volume Mixer issue with ZD and .ogg music Reply with quote

This problem applies from 10808 to 1.10b08 and will affect vista/7/10 users who define a maximum volume of the zdaemon client via Windows Volume Mixer (I hear this feature is in linux too).

I asked Vampire (Tyrell) to test this with me as we both have Win7. Both x64 too.

EDIT: .ogg format is the trigger.

More often than not, if the volume for zdaemon.exe is lowered the value will reset to the maximum value of whatever the master (speakers) is set to upon both intermission and map change. I noticed this problem in ZDS last night, using the wad x-noob_15in32.

I noticed that strangely it requires specific map transitions to occur sometimes. For instance: If I were to join a CTF server and set the volume for zdaemon.exe to value '10', tab back to zdaemon and call a mapvote to change map then the sound stays at the value '10'. However If I were to score 5 flags to end the map and bring up intermission then the value would reset to the maximum (in my case: '100'). After this happens callvote will also now change the volume back to maximum from whatever I set. The volume will also reset as intermission ends, after changing it back during this period. I could not reproduce this problem running through only doom2 maps using every gamemode, changed dmflags etc so it led me to think that it must be music in pwads. It seemed to make sense pretty fast and I tested the theory (read EDIT above).

I ran doom2 using whatever dmflags last used online (had to enable 'allow exit'). map change, map exit, intermission. No issue. Different gamemode? Nope, not offline at least. nothing. Joined FYBO tonight to see if it happened there. Nay. Then I asked around for win7 users and found Vampire. We tested x-noob_15in32 and got exactly the same results each map, setting the volume back down to the low value after each intermission and map. We tried various ways of changing map, different dmflags (0), different game modes. There was one instance where the sound did not reset. Screens below:

http://imgur.com/a/iUgpc#EFTth & http://imgur.com/a/lE3Dp#J0oF5

Hope it's useful.

Last edited by Evolution on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:07 pm; edited 4 times in total
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe that helps:
x-noob_15in32: maps: midi music, intermission: ogg music

Last edited by Krawa on Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this could be an fmod problem when switching from midi to ogg.
can someone test this in latest zdoom? ideally use what krawa suggested.
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tested with 2.6.1 (r3794) and 2.1.0 (r201): system volume does not change.
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asked to provide an update on this just as I was providing an update on this! I've revisited the same WAD for testing.

This issue still occurs, though I'm running Windows 10 now. The volume for ZDaemon will reset to the amount defined for the Device (overall) in Volume Mixer.

To trigger this: Start a map and then set open Volume Mixer. In VM, lower ZDaemon's volume. Now call 'changemap mapxx'. You should be taken to the intermission screen which should raise volume, at this stage it may only be audibly apparent, not visually*. When you advance to the next map, Windows Volume Mixer should then update the volume slider to the max amount defined for Device (overall).

My device is standard 'Speakers' through on-board. The midi device chosen in ZD sound options does not affect this.

* On a second test, the volume reset was both visually and audibly noticable instantly on end of map / start of intermission.
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the bug appears with Midi Device: Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth
- Start Singleplayer Doom2
- Move volume of ZDaemon in Volume Mixer down
- Change map
- Volume get raised by map change

Picture book

Last edited by Krawa on Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to Confirmed.
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some investigations it's not a bug, it's a feature of the engine Smile
ZD really sets the volume to maximum at different points, e.g. after intermission.
Maybe the reason is because you can reduce the volume for sound, midi, music, ... in game (and no need for an external volume mixer).

If you want fast access to volume the easiest way atm is to bind keys to change the volume in game (e.g. with keypad + and -):
Code:
kp-=eval - $snd_mastervolume 0.05 snd_mastervolume; set tmp 0; eval * 100 $snd_mastervolume tmp; playsound menu/change
kp+=eval + $snd_mastervolume 0.05 snd_mastervolume; set tmp 0; eval * 100 $snd_mastervolume tmp; playsound menu/change

The playsound command is only that you hear it changes.

It would also be possible to change "mute when out of focus" from no/yes to a value in percent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Pending Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: