ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Map reset" can crash client in rare circumstances

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: "Map reset" can crash client in rare circumstances Reply with quote

This report can be considered pedantic but may help with other random crashes, you tell me. It seems to only work if you are attempting to connect to a server that is not online anymore, before following the rest of the steps below. It's reproducable - albeit under quite a specific circumstance - so I've posted it to inform you.
  • Join a server that no longer exists (start one, refresh list, close it and join from old list)
  • Disconnect from menu or console cmd
  • Issue console cmd: map reset
  • Get this Fatal Error message
rhinoduck
Potatoes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, a note about terminology: Unless you also got an OS dialog saying the application crashed, this is not a crash. "ZDaemon Fatal Error" means the client exited in a controlled way; it just ran into something which it judged as not worthwhile to try to recover from.

Anyway, I can't reproduce this. The map_reset command (I assume that's the one you meant) does nothing for me when I try to follow your instructions. A video recorded with OBS or a different screen capture software showing what you've done and what happened would be a great supplement to the textual description.

Since the "Bad right index (# >= #) (A)\n" error comes from when sidedefs are being processed during level loading, have you tried with a different WAD? Have you tried loading the maps in SP to see if that goes fine?

If you have a reproducible case and it's not just a matter of the WAD simply being corrupted, please provide all the WADs loaded (and the order they have been loaded in), the server config, and the client config (make sure you strip sensitive data from all, or provide the files over a secure/non-public channel).
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a crash then, thanks!

"Map reset" (without the underscore) is a client command whereas "map_reset" is the one (and only?) accepted via rcon. It should be reproducer Street that
If it's not, I have OBS ready when I get back to the blamecave.
rhinoduck
Potatoes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about any client-specific 'map reset' command; what 'map reset' does is run the 'map' command which tries to change to map named 'reset', which in turn rightly tells me there is no such map because I have no WAD containing a map named 'reset' loaded.
Code:
> map reset
No map reset

My bet is you have a lump named 'RESET' in your WAD and you are thus telling the client to try to load lumps which follow it and treat them as map data; which will fail of course, because they most likely do not contain map data.
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I should have figured that one out or at least slept on it. Thinking about it now, what you said seems so obvious.
rhinoduck
Potatoes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is obvious now because we know; I don't think it was so obvious before because ZDaemon definitely should not be trying to load "maps which clearly are not maps". You may have confused what 'map reset' does, but it lead to an issue being uncovered in the end anyway; and it will be looked into.
rhinoduck
Potatoes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed for 1.10.02.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Fixed Bugs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: