ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.xm files not looping

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whymes
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: .xm files not looping Reply with quote

Hi. I've noticed a situation for at least 5 years in ZDaemon where certain .xm tracks don't loop. They play fine once, then stop until the map ends. They loop fine in newer versions of ZDoom by the way. Not much else to say. For a sample of one song which doesn't work, just go to the mod archive and find a couple of .xms. One of them is bound to be broken.

edit: Ive found that editting out the end byte on song files solves the issue. However, I still feel its a bug because if its BGM of course you want it looped. Zdoom does already. So it's not really a bug but I think it still should be checked into.

I should probably add that the only way I can seem to get them to work is to use an ACS script to play the music. Just taking out the end byte doesn't fix it alone. But neither does using ACS scripting alone. It's strange.

Last edited by Whymes on Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Empyre
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do other tracker formats, like .mod or .s3m or .it do the same thing? I was thinking of using a s3m for my next map, but I can't if it won't work.
Sr69Mm-jC
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Operation drowned in blood (odib.wad) uses .mod format music as far as I remember and I believe it works just fine there.
Whymes
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only a problem with .xm. And as I said, some .xms work fine. It has to do with whether or not the person who tracked the file tracked it in a way such that it will loop properly in zdaemon, but as I said before it still seems to be a sort of bug because it does this even to .xm files that will loop fine in, for example modplayer and even in other doom ports, but not zdaemon.

I'm not sure how much of my original post is correct, I didn't really thoroughly test it, I just know that after altering the .xm file and adding that script that it looped. But it didn't work for another .xm file I had. And some .xm files work without even doing anything.

EDIT: I give up. No matter how much fucking around I do with some .xm files, it still doesn't work. I'm guessing it's some sort of FMOD issue or something. I really don't know at this point. Now my only option is to get new music for my map. So I hope you look into it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic doom supported only some very limited sound/music formats; the only reason that formats such as XM are supported in ZDaemon is, because of the use of the FMOD sound library. Unfortunately, even FMOD may not handle all possible variations of all formats it handles;you might want to investigate FMOD and its support of the varoius formats; ZDaemon cannot do anything about all that, short of replacing FMOD with something else (which is not very likely to happen); sorry.
Aeyesx
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whymes just consider convert it to other format like ogg~, Or you could write short acs script that loops the music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Rejected Bugs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: