ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restoring Deimos - On /idgames

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whymes
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Restoring Deimos - On /idgames Reply with quote

[Introduction:]

Restoring Deimos is a 32-map megawad, compatible with single player and cooperative. It also has basic deathmatch support (weapons, ammo, health, and start points are placed for deathmatch). It also has difficulty support. There are 2 episodes, consisting of MAP01-MAP15 and MAP16-MAP30. Map 31 is a secret level from map 15, and map 32 is a credits map which automatically starts after beating map 30. Map 16 has a forced pistol start, as well as the boss maps (map 15 and map 30). It is based on ZDoom V 1.23, and so is compatible with zandronum, zdaemon, and other ZDoom compatible ports. Music in the wad is composed by various authors, mostly tracker music. I have used only music which is released under creative use non-commercial license, and have also credited the original composers in both the readme and the final credits map.

Link to Doomworld thread (Has screenshots, etc.): http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/73047-restoring-deimos-megawad-released/

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[WAD Download:]

HERE: http://www.theultimatedoom.com/download/rdeimosa.zip
MIRROR: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/rdeimosa.zip

[Full Credits:]

HERE: http://m.uploadedit.com/ba3d/1434401714284.txt

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I'd like someone to maybe review this wad. I'm looking on starting a new project, so feedback on this wad would help a lot. Further, I'm looking for someone who can host the wad online as well, since that would be helpful. This section of the forums doesn't get much love, but I guess it doesn't hurt to post ;p
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the Doomworld thread, so I'm glad you posted here too!
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This wad has a very classic feel to it.

The detail is quite sparse, but the texturing is competent and clean, which is honestly fine by me - I hate too much visual clutter. The gameplay overall is on the easy side, but if you just want to kill and have fun, (my favorite way to play) this wad will suit you well.

There are a few design choices I thought were slightly strange. On map02 you get the yellow key and must backtrack to the yellow door. That in itself is fine, but it would be nice if a few more mosters had spawned or perhaps a few monster closets opened up to give the player something to kill on the way there.

There are design choices I really liked as well. On map03, there's the dark room with the computers and the 'wires' running along the floor - More of that would be great. As I mentioned I do like maps that aren't over detailed, but there are a number of large plain walls (honestly, similar to the circular room in map03 of Sinister Seven) where it would be nice to have a window to the "outside world" or even just a computer terminal or cage with a corpse in it or something. I know it seems pointless, but that stuff goes a long way to create immersion Smile That's why I like that dark computer room on map03 so much.

There are a few halls that are too cramped - If you want a wad that will not be frustrating for cooperative, you'll probably want at least 96-128 units of space to move about in. This isn't a major recurring thing, but it's worth mentioning.

I thought the ZDoom effects were a welcome touch. Usually ZDoom maps are either mega-detailed or total crap, and this has a nice spot in between. As someone who likes oldschool style maps, it was sort of a rare treat to see the two combined. The green lighting on map08 and scrolling skies = Thumbs up.

It was nice to see a good amount of secrets in the maps. It's always nice to have my peeking around rewarded Cool

Another good thing I liked with item/monster placement, for example, was how the Invuln sphere on map04 lasted the perfect amount of time to take both spiders out with the SSG. I like attention to gameplay like that.

If I had to pick a favorite map, it would be map20. Darn fun, and looks good!

I think your mapping is really good overall, all I would reccommend is a slight bit more detail, on those early maps (but please don't go crazy) and a few small tweaks here and there. Overall I had fun with it and would score this an 8/10 Smile

I hope to see more maps from you in time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: