ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Generic topic for server/client instant deaths

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeyesx
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Generic topic for server/client instant deaths Reply with quote

Let's make sum generic topic for this really anoying issue.

So what's that Question
You're randomly playing and then BAM! You're client crashes with no error at all. Following by Bad packet while u reconnect.
This can be annyoing when suddent disconnect might destroy you're game (survival etc.)
The worse scenarion : Connection interupted, while the server process sudently die with nothing in log at all

Since it is reaaaaalllly random (but not random enough making it annoying)
its making it really hard to track down.
But at least one thing is known. It happens in advanced wads that are using newschool features, dehsupp with advanced ACS etc.

Such as :
horde1_r1f.wad (epic coop by Sr69 *)

ZDCity_v35b.wad (sandbox by ubergewei yet i am unsure if it still happens here)

coh_r3.wad (Made by Xsnake, rpg yet short but epic wad, with common crashes making it hard to finish without crash, great for debuging yet xsnake for some reason forgetting to include sources for ACS's i think).
And some online TNS or ZDS etc. events...

In beta03 there might be autoreport of these issues. But still we need to find what it causes so devs. can fix it, for better playing experience Twisted Evil

My personal opinion is that it causes old (some known as *stable*) or zdoom generic dehsupp patches.
Sr69Mm-jC
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said numerous times, you should report a single bug in any given topic. Creating a "generic topic" is no good. Reports like "my game randomly crashes" don't help either. How would you, as a developer, even start working on a problem described as "zdaemon crashes with some newschool wads"?

While you do provide specific wads where the crashes occur, you still can't really expect the developers to sit down and play the wads long enough to experience a crash - let alone expecting them to guess the required gameplay settings, C/S or SP mode etc.

Now here's what we *can* do instead. We need to find a way to reproduce the crashes consistently. This primarily means creating minimalist versions of these wads so that you can run it and crash - reliably and as soon as possible. If, and only if, it is totally impossible to create a wad with a reproducable crash - then we start thinking of other options.

Coh_r3 is a new release (it's been out for what, just a few days?) and we could at least go ahead and try to figure out when or why the clients crash. We could strip the wad down as much as possible and see if the crashes still occur; once they no longer do, we've probably just removed something that triggered them. It's just that it took me almost a whole hour to beat coh_r3 with iddqd/idkfa cheats in singleplayer; I can't expect that a developer would play through all that to find the source of the problem or test a potential fix. When or where do crashes happen most often? Do they happen online or offline? Does it happen if you play alone on the server or you need multiple players? Does it crash for some players but never for others? You need to provide at least SOME information man.

Speaking of my horde2 wad, most client crashes have been fixed since b02. Some others are more complicated to fix but developers are aware of the issues. So there's not much more to it at the moment. I don't know anything about zdcity_v35b.

Last but not least.. Whenever ZDaemon client crashes it generates a memory dump and puts it to \_crash\ folder. "Collect" those and send them to developers providing the exact wad names which were used.
Aeyesx
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty aware of all the things you described, that's why i maked this topic to gather and collect those, and make as minimalist version they can be... btw. i made it through COHr3 in SP too, and it doesnt seem to crash in local... Ch0wW keeps saying that its in linux server binary, and a lot of random people that it causes "portal thing" (i have same experience once i made portal nukage pool) and coh_r3 is one big portal

Edit: played about 2 hours again and again on local win server, it doesn't crash, might it be in linux server binary ... mmm

Edit2: damn 6 17:40 pm, didnt managed to crash its like agrhhh!

Last edited by Aeyesx on Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aeyesx wrote:
I am pretty aware of all the things you described, that's why i maked this topic to gather and collect those
How can you acknowledge what sr69 says and then propose a "kitchen sink" topic? that's self-contradiction. A topic that handles 10 different bugs is not really useful in terms of finding & fixing them; in which case, I'd question the whole point of the topic.

I'd suggest we keep the current method man; after all, it seems to work pretty well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Rejected Bugs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: