ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

seeding system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Tournament Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccarnage
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: seeding system Reply with quote

I've seen recently that there have been proposals for an intermediate tourney, which has had a lot of interest. I'd like to propose some form of seeding system in which players are effectively ranked (in terms of 1on1 ability). Now whilst it may be tough to do this, i think its possible to allocate at least some rankings based upon opinion. I also think the rankings should be split between continents, altho that it is not to say some1 can't have a high ranking on continents where they have lag ( e.g. i can beat the majority of american players on us servers).

I just think this will make it easier to sort out who enters the intermediate tourney and who enters the higher skill one etc. Of course these seedings wouldn't be static, as of course many players do get better.

The tournaments would then be organised as say tennis tournaments are organised today. The best players in terms of seed would be placed in different parts of the draw (this would avoid the 2 best players in the tourney playing in the first round). I think the random allocation in the current USA tourney is pretty stupid. One of half of the tourney contains Dred, traci and trigger, arguably players in the top few of those who entered in terms of ability. However ace's side of the draw seems easier for some1 of his ability. As it turned out the 2 best players are playing in the final (ace and traci), so i guess that one worked out ok Laughing .

Anyway what do u guys think?
urhash
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point.

The DMcon1 LAN tournament was done in such a manner that the top players faced the lesser skilled players first, so that all the good battles wouldn't take place early on leading to a lackluster final round.
Ralphis
That blue hedgehog again of all places!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree
ccarnage
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea good tournament that, altho gotta love the Sslasher's decimation of galiu in the final Laughing , I personally think yerac could have beaten sslasher had he got to the finals.

http://www.doom2.net/doom2/textfiles/dmcon1.txt

If you look at the map01 tourney, the 3 best players on m1 entering, yerac, sslasher and galiu are all placed in different parts of the draw. And its not a surprise that all 3 of these players made it to the semi finals.
urhash
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't Galiu's prime though. In fact, I heard the reason sslasher stopped playing is because Galiu started to consistently keep beating him.

I used to play modoom with Xenos a lot, and I used to think the guy was unstoppable... until I saw Galiu decimate him as both green and indigo! lol...

Wish there were some decent yerac demos too, Bahd mentions his vaunted agility in the player profile.

Anyways, not to derail your topic here, sorry.

P.S. That yerac/galiu demo is totally awesome. It has one of my all-time favorite frags!
Vampire Knight
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

urhash wrote:
That wasn't Galiu's prime though. In fact, I heard the reason sslasher stopped playing is because Galiu started to consistently keep beating him.

I used to play modoom with Xenos a lot, and I used to think the guy was unstoppable... until I saw Galiu decimate him as both green and indigo! lol...

Wish there were some decent yerac demos too, Bahd mentions his vaunted agility in the player profile.

Anyways, not to derail your topic here, sorry.

P.S. That yerac/galiu demo is totally awesome. It has one of my all-time favorite frags!

urhash, any chance of me getting hold of that demo?

shy thats a great point, because me and dan have been talking about having a similar stlye system like this (couple months ago, although ours wasnt seedings) and youve spelt it out clearly.

AGREED.
urhash
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the demo is part of a larger package of that tournament:

http://www.doom2.net/doom2/lmps/dmcon1.zip

The demo is called: R3yergal.lmp (Round 3 - Yerac vs. Galiu).
Twiztid
Who wants a body massage?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralphis wrote:
Agree
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tai*WarGreymon
YOU PERVERTS!!!1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralphis wrote:
Agree
Corporal Cliff
I really can't think of a good title

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, Tai's back

Here we go again Rolling Eyes
deathz0r
Custom Title

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I really want to voice my opinion on this, for obvious reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Twiztid
Who wants a body massage?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Joker87
sleeping with one eye open

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan. Give the man a cookie.
ccarnage
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of draughting a top 20 list for each continent, any ideas?
Samiam
G-String Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'll be too late for this tourney Shy. The idea sounds good though, you know where to find me if you want to talk about it Smile
Vampire Knight
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right so there going to be seeds list?! cool.

if there is, is it going to be a main list? (overall) or one for each class i.e. intermediate? or both?

wow this sounds fucking great.
ccarnage
God like!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm i was thinking of just one big list, any1 above a certain ranking wouldn't be allowed to enter intermediate etc, that way as some1 got better their rankings would increase. If any new players turned up, they would be unseeded..in which case, in any draw they would have to face the tougher seeded players in the preliminary rounds, if anybody would post their opinion of the top 10 players in each of the continents, that would be a great start. Canada, USA and europe are gonna be bigger lists obviously, but there are many other continents with players. Don't forget also that certain players may be seeded high on another continents list..The other thing is that a lot of people do not enter tournaments, for example ocelot is the best player in europe, but it is unlikely that he will enter the tourneys, so i guess it wouldn't be worth having him on a list. Anyway, post your top 10 in terms of opinion, on each of the ping zones
Vampire Knight
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so shy whats your top 10? Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Tournament Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: