ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doom3 mod for Doom2 [DSDooM3]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaundice
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This wad looks absolutely fantastic. Very high quality feel to it. The lighting is used well, judging from the screenshots, it's dark enough to instill some fear, but not pitch-black-I-wish-I-could-duct-tape-this-god-damned-flashlight-to-my-gun type dark, and that's something to be proud of - lighting isn't easy in Doom, and making it work for you can be tough. The structures look great - definitely fits the mood, big looming edifices that you just know are going to be crammed with enemies, great stuff here! I'm rather excited to play this, as it's been years since I've been excited for a single player wad (got tired of seeing maps where they'd dump every imp recolor from R667 into it, make a couple shitty maps, and call it a day) This is some seriously impressive stuff, and I'm curious about the storyline you've concocted, and how I can jump into it and start blasting my way to the end of it.
Sniper 109
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, just wanted to let you all in on the update. over the year, I managed to start and finish all of map25 and started a good chunk of map26. Map22 is the next down on the list. In essence, only one map remains to be completed!
Once all the maps are done I will take about a month or so to fine tune the maps, add secrets, shortcuts and all the cherries I can possibly shove in this cake.

Here are some shots of map25 (Notice this is being run in GZDoom so Zdaemon players will not have access to the super shotgun, unfortunately.

Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniper 109 wrote:
Here are some shots of map25 (Notice this is being run in GZDoom so Zdaemon players will not have access to the super shotgun, unfortunately.

That... sounds like a pretty crippling omission.
Could you explain the problem behind this?

Zdaemon has no shortage of custom guns available to it Laughing
Sniper 109
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I put additional weapons into the rotation? Can this be done through dehacked?
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. syn2.wad did this by getting reskinned versions of the Heretic weapons available. Those hacks are definitely not compatible with GZDoom AFAIK but there's no reason to not release two versions of this wad, one with DECORATE weapons and the other with dehacked weapons. Hmm and worst-vd-plas probably had some pwads demonstrating this concept but I'm not sure if he uploaded them.

Haha I still remember when you showed me the first few maps of this online. It was relatively cool and would still like to see it complete.
Sniper 109
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never knew I could do this, in that case, expect a zdaemon wad too!
Body-Guard
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you don't want to alter the behavior and frame numbers of the heretic weapons you are good to go with replacing their spirtes. To go further than that you need to use DEHSUPP which is sadly very underdocumented. Worst put up a reasonably good explanation about it on the zdaemon wiki and I supplied some example wads for it, but the wiki disappeared, and the documentation is gone now....
Sr69Mm-jC
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCupboard wrote:
Those hacks are definitely not compatible with GZDoom AFAIK but there's no reason to not release two versions of this wad, one with DECORATE weapons and the other with dehacked weapons.

I strongly believe there's no need to create two versions; instead, if done smartly, one version can do the thing.
ZDoom-based ports completely ignore all dehacked changes the moment they find DEHSUPP lump in the wad, so they will fully rely on DECORATE instead. On the other hand, ZDaemon has no idea about DECORATE lump but is capable of using dehacked+dehsupp stuff.
So you can simply recreate all your custom changes both in dehacked and decorate and include both of them in your wad. I don't see why it wouldn't work (unless you used some decorate stuff that can't be recreated through dehacked+dehsupp at all).

Body-Guard wrote:
Worst put up a reasonably good explanation about it on the zdaemon wiki and I supplied some example wads for it, but the wiki disappeared, and the documentation is gone now....

Worst's documentation is not gone. I'll pack it up if you need it. The problem is that it unfortunately can be barely described as a 'documentation'; the more valuable references are zdaemon 1.06 source code and zdoom wiki: heretic classes list.

Body-Guard wrote:
To go further than that you need to use DEHSUPP which is sadly very underdocumented.

Indeed. DEHSUPP is quite tough to understand, and then there are limitations like inability to assign codepointers to heretic states. Chances are it's probably going to take quite a while to learn it. So, if anything, I'd gladly volunteer to help out with the dehsupp-related stuff for this project - especially if it's only about implementing one extra weapon.

P.S.
Body-Guard wrote:
As long as you don't want to alter the behavior and frame numbers of the heretic weapons ...

You kind of make it sound too restricted Razz You can do anything with the frame durations and frame orders, no problem with that. It's just that you can't reassign codepointers directly. There's still much, much one could do with it.
Body-Guard
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sr69Mm-jC wrote:

Worst's documentation is not gone. I'll pack it up if you need it. The problem is that it unfortunately can be barely described as a 'documentation'; the more valuable references are zdaemon 1.06 source code and zdoom wiki: heretic classes list.

I do know DEHSUPP very well, I have my own lump compiled including the current Hexen support too. And yes, the zdaemon source and the class list are probably the best bet now.

Sr69Mm-jC wrote:

Indeed. DEHSUPP is quite tough to understand, and then there are limitations like inability to assign codepointers to heretic states. Chances are it's probably going to take quite a while to learn it. So, if anything, I'd gladly volunteer to help out with the dehsupp-related stuff for this project - especially if it's only about implementing one extra weapon.

You CAN assign codepointers to heretic states, what you can't do is assign Heretic (or Hexen for that matter) codepointers to any of the frames, since they are not exposed for use to dehacked. So eg. to use a Heretic weapon codepointer, you need to link to the frame which 'hardcodedly' has the given pointer. This limits the use of that codepointer to only as many times as it occours in the zdaemon source.

Eg.:

[CODEPTR]
Frame 600 = MinotaurAtk1

Can't be done since MinotaurAtk1 is not a codepointer which is useable in dehacked. Changelog says however that work is being done to enable heretic codepointers for such use.

Sr69Mm-jC wrote:

You kind of make it sound too restricted Razz You can do anything with the frame durations and frame orders, no problem with that. It's just that you can't reassign codepointers directly. There's still much, much one could do with it.

Yes, if you use DEHSUPP, but they were talking about only replacing the weapon sprites.
Sr69Mm-jC
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing it up Body-Guard, you're absolutely correct and I remember it now as well. Yeah it's been quite a while since I last touched dehsupp to be honest. Confused
UberGewei
SuperAntler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely stunning screenshots, I can't wait! Awesome job sniper! Very Happy
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniper 109 wrote:
I never knew I could do this, in that case, expect a zdaemon wad too!

Yep. And it's clear there's many folks here who'd like to ensure help that this comes to pass Smile
Sniper 109
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you really don't see the time go by with a project this big, I can't believe that after 4 years this still isn't done, but at least we're getting there. I just completed map22 (a map that I've been working on and off for two years) And although I'd like to show you all what it looks like, at this point, I think it'd be best left as a secret, besides, there are plenty of existing pictures to scroll through.

With that said, there's only one map left to go, yep one single map left to finish up.. Unfortunately, though there is still a lot of work that needs to be done after the map set is complete, I still have to do the intermission graphics, review and tweak all of the maps, and clean up some things here and there, but the project is 98& done, so you don't have to worry about this getting cancelled (I think it's pretty impossible at this stage)

As for a release date.. well, you guys might have to wait a few more months, but as long as I feel creative, I'll try my best to wrap it up as quick and as thoroughly as possible.
Any last comments final thoughts guys?
Doomination
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not dark enough
Sniper 109
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's not dark enough?
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's trolling you softly.

Cheers tho, nice to see another designer working hard. There are a few of us still around working furiously in Doom Builder these days, though we mostly like to keep to ourselves until we are 100% finished. Screenshots only go so far as you know, the real product is what counts. The other awesome dehacked mod in progress is the one by the Hungarian Body-Guard duo.
Sniper 109
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Map22 pictures!

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/8d81/i4jh6skls4c5tchfg.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/0594/2z8lky8vw0516pwfg.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/157e/1fsp9kdmcm9gdxhfg.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/60c5/lz61ad40d269z63fg.jpg
Chimila
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Map27 - (I can't reveal the name) - 100%

such a weird name you chose for that map. Razz no, it got me now curious !
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to map22:

I have to say that the sky looks epic in steep proportions. Still, I would advise you choose a less "monotonous" white rock texture. 'Tis repetitive, ya' see. It's ok to have a little bit of that white-gray texture, but maybe retexture or add additional rocky sectors which showcase some brown-ness.
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I'm excited for this, looking really great by the screenshots.

Did you decide if theres going to be 2 separate versions, or just one that works on both ports?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: