ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Improvement of RandomMap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chimila
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Improvement of RandomMap Reply with quote

hello!
Good stuff adding the RandomMap CVAR to the NJ's ctf server, it breaks the routine that we've had day over day over the years knowing what to expect as for next map thus knowing where to play and where to spec/quit, although there's a bug: it isn't setting up the whole wad mappack but it's locking itself in a loop replaying 3 maps over and over again, like 15 minutes after we've just played 'em already.
is it missing a 2nd. CVAR command maybe or does this one need a little retouch?
bless_
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.
Just last night I remember playing on the Dwango United - New Jersey #04 server.
And not long after having played map11 (the snow map with a bfg in the middle, if I'm correct) like two levels after it switched right back to it.
Then it happened again with map21. We finished a game on it, went on to map26 and after it back to map21 Mad

I checked to see if maybe the maplist was messed up but that did not seem to be the case. Don't know what happened.

-
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This behaviour does indeed sound undesirable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ch0wW
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems the random code is the same as a random in ACS...

EDIT : And doing this system:

1- Play the Map randomly chosen
2- "Temporarly" remove the map by putting it into another array
3- Continue
4- Once the last map has been played, put all the maps back into the maplist
5- Goto One
.Lristrân
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know but shouldn't it be either on the Confirmed Bugs or Pending Request section?
bless_
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Lristrân wrote:
I don't know but shouldn't it be either on the Confirmed Bugs or Pending Request section?

Well, you should of posted it there since the beggining................................................................................................................................................................................................................

-
.Lristrân
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lolz I know what you mean but I ain't gonna argue with you about it Razz Think whatever you want.
Chimila
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boomping.
Players keep complaining about it and it's understandable, same maps keep coming right after they have passed already, once and twice and thrice and so on, in a so-short time space.
I am not a coder but I guess what Ch0wW posted above shouldn't be that hard to implement, seems neat. Also IMO with this random feature there is no need to skip maps from the mappack, if the wad contains 52 maps why to limit the maplist only to 26? there are pretty good ones I'm sure people would like to see them and play them back; after all that's what the compilation was made for.
Buli
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing on a public CTF yesterday, and it was, some time later resulting in "going right back to map 08 / map 16" and it was the case every 2 games.

It sucks having to play 6 times the map 08 out of 10, and I'm not even exaggerating :/
bless_
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really needs to be moved over to the "Unconfirmed Bugs" section.
Also, yes, it is still happening. Map rotation seems to be somehow jacked.
Maps will repeat shortly after 2 maps.

-
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a bug. What the randommap feature does is to always randomly draw the next map from the whole maplist. This means that the selection is fully random and you can get selections like map01,map02,map01,map02,map01,... sometimes.
You are confusing it with the so called shuffle feature. In that case a map is randomly picked from the list and removed from the list so it will not be selected twice before the whole maplist has been played.
This has not been implemented here and we never claimed randommap would work like shuffle.
If you want a shuffle feature then you need to make a feature request i guess.
Chimila
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

though none of you ever stated randommap to work the way shuffle would, that's the way I'd expect it to be because then, in which other form would the randommap be any useful if shuffle gets implemented, fruit. That's why I asked if it needs an additional command or something.
On the server the maplist is set to 26 maps, leaving others 26 out for no playing, just saying if that's what the bolded whole stands for, don't know.
Empyre
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the server has only 26 maps in its maplist, then the sever operator only wants those 26 maps to be played. If you want to play on the other maps, your only options are to either start your own server or try to persuade the server operator to add more maps to the playlist.

If the randommap is truly random, then selections like map01, map01, map01, map02, map01, map02 can sometimes happen, but such occurrences should be rare, and can be coded against. Code could be added that would remember the last, say, 5 maps and not let the randommap feature select those maps. Of course, the devs would have to take into account the possibility that the maplist could have fewer than 5 maps. If this sounds good to you, Chimila, you should request it in the feature request forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: