ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TheDevilzWork: 7 maps for DOS Doom2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: TheDevilzWork: 7 maps for DOS Doom2 Reply with quote

**New bugfixed version, now known as TDEVIL2.WAD**
Changes: Extreme tutti-fruttit/texture bits fixed, teleporters fixed on several maps, added 3 demos.

Hello fellow Doomers Smile This is a highly updated version of older 3 map release.

Here we have 7 SP/coop maps designed for DOS Doom2. I put a lot of calculation into these regarding ammo and health balance. Difficulty levels are present, but only in terms of power-ups rather than monster count. They go in order from easiest to hardest, with map01 having about 50 monsters, and map07 having over 400. Every map has secrets to hunt for, and I've attempted to make them look "detailed" within DOS mapping limitations.

Some Screenshots:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/510x319q90/854/itlp.png
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/531x319q90/196/t7ry.png
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x400q90/706/6ryz.png

I found no visplane overflows when playing through these, so if you do, please notify me! Naturally, jumping and crouching should be disabled when playing these, since they're intended for vanilla play. Deathmatch is also possible in these maps.

Of course, the link to download TDEVIL2 (updated/bugfixed):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8wawn4tfwp26xff/TDEVIL2.zip

If anyone wants to host these on a server, feel free - They seem to go pretty well with about 4 players. As always, any feedback, praise or soul-crushing amounts of criticism are welcome!

I have a few days of free time, and I've been using it to do as much mapping as possible. I'm planning on releasing ZMatch 2014 soon, as well as some CTF maps which were made with the help of other Doomers - Keep an eye open for them!

Last edited by DoomKid on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
UberGewei
SuperAntler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, Keep those maps coming!

EDIT:
Here's my feedback to all 7 maps (played with 4 people):

Map01 - Good map, Not much to say! a little more ammo for Ultra-violence might help.

Map02 - Maybe a little more ammo on Hurt me Plenty and Ultra-violence

Map03 - both Hurt Me Plenty and Ultra-violence need more ammo, played it with 4 people and we kept on dying. There's just too much revenants and barons and too less ammo/health

Map04 - On Hurt Me Plenty it's alright maybe a little more ammo might help.

Map05 - Really liked this map, however there's not enough ammo! little more shotgun shells at the beginning might help (after we got the plasma it was fine tho)

Map06 - Cool map reminded me a little of the original DooM maps, although i needed a little more ammo in the beginning (even with 4 players)

Map07 - Awesome Underhalls remake (Ronald will be flattered by this map)!
You really put some effort to this map and didn't really run out of ammo this time, maybe little less cybies! and a little more health might help.

Personally, I would build up the monster usage instead of throwing barons in already on the first map.

and another thing that bothers me are the colors that are used, it kinda breaks that real doom2 feel.
(or weren't you trying to achieve that? i tought so since the banner says DOS Doom)

All in all, good job! although you've used some new colors it still really gave me that classic DooM feel a little more ammo and it would be complete. I'm sorry i had to complain about ammo so much but, I find it really annoying when i have to punch the monsters for half the map.

Here's a permanent server:
zds://85.214.72.227:10611

Last edited by UberGewei on Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:33 am; edited 10 times in total
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks very much! In my next release, I may not use new colors - for some reason I love changing them up every time.

EDIT: A few bugs have been squashed, new version here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/8wawn4tfwp26xff/TDEVIL2.zip
UberGewei
SuperAntler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoomKid92 wrote:
Wow, thanks very much! In my next release, I may not use new colors - for some reason I love changing them up every time.

EDIT: A few bugs have been squashed, new version here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/8wawn4tfwp26xff/TDEVIL2.zip

Alright, awesome.

Server updated! Wink
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apprecaite the feedback, I'll be sure to include more ammo for multiplayer next time. Maybe I'll change the item respawn settings to help out with the ammo issue Smile

EDIT: I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to rcon commands. I've looked through every command line in zdaemon, and I cant find anything about item respawn. I was expecting something like "rcon itemrespawn 30", but that didn't seem to work. What am I doing wrong? Embarassed
UberGewei
SuperAntler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll PM you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: