ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
niv
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: 1.09 Reply with quote

Did they get rid of easy sr50 macros yet? Since some of us can do it without those buttons it seems unfair to give those who wont sacrifice a finger the extra speed.

Just sayin'..

Also it's especially unfair because the original doom was in lockstep, you moved, everyone else did, then the game loop continued.. if you have a better ping you send your movements/actions faster to the server, and move/do things faster..

But I digress to my love of doom2.exe.

How about a server side setting at least? I want to know I'm playing another person who has to do the same crazy key holds to exploit sr50. Though I could easily write a kernel driver to emulate those keys, most people can't..
No more NTVDM in x86/64 Windows tho.. can't even map the null page to setup the IVT (you understand that and maybe you could write said sr50 exploit). Just write a keyboard driver that detects when zdaemon is in a game, then when you press your sr50 key, then simulate the other keys.. I used to do that with the BIOS keyboard input buffer in segment 0040 to own BBS sysadmins. And DWANGO moderators (yes you Romeo! Wink).

So Raider/Kilgore: a server setting is probably sufficient.. is that coming along?

Nivenh
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyfe
Puts the 'Z' in ZDaemon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1.09 Reply with quote

niv wrote:
How about a server side setting at least? I want to know I'm playing another person who has to do the same crazy key holds to exploit sr50. Though I could easily write a kernel driver to emulate those keys, most people can't..

So, you want to disable a feature to un-level the playing field for people who can [write and] run programs that give them SR50, versus those who won't?
GhoulSlayeR
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is 1.09 out yet?
Sr69Mm-jC
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhoulSlayeR wrote:
Is 1.09 out yet?

It's been out for a long while now and it's very nice. Last time I heard from devs 1.10 was under development as well (with solid progress).
rygrass
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sr69Mm-jC wrote:
GhoulSlayeR wrote:
Is 1.09 out yet?

It's been out for a long while now and it's very nice. Last time I heard from devs 1.10 was under development as well (with solid progress).

Lol "sarcasm"

This has already been talked about in multiple threads ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
_Beast_
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.09 Reply with quote

niv wrote:
Did they get rid of easy sr50 macros yet? Since some of us can do it without those buttons it seems unfair to give those who wont sacrifice a finger the extra speed.

Just sayin'..

Also it's especially unfair because the original doom was in lockstep, you moved, everyone else did, then the game loop continued.. if you have a better ping you send your movements/actions faster to the server, and move/do things faster..

But I digress to my love of doom2.exe.

No more NTVDM in x86/64 Windows tho.. can't even map the null page to setup the IVT (you understand that and maybe you could write said sr50 exploit). Just write a keyboard driver that detects when zdaemon is in a game, then when you press your sr50 key, then simulate the other keys.. I used to do that with the BIOS keyboard input buffer in segment 0040 to own BBS sysadmins. And DWANGO moderators (yes you Romeo! Wink).

So Raider/Kilgore: a server setting is probably sufficient.. is that coming along?

Nivenh

niv I respect your opinions but my opinion of yours is that its baseless

The sr50 is achieved by a few by binding keys in their configuration file, which has been posted many times over. The same type of bind that some use to spin 180 degrees and shoot a rocket. Whereas I just spin my mouse and shoot a rocket....do you see what I mean baseless.

Further more if you sr50 with the 4 to 5 button pressing you actually envoke it faster, especially if you are using the mouse dragging technique. The players who bind the buttons in their config are actually at a disadvantage.

From experience the 'mode' of achieving the sr50 when binded locks you into an odd angle and you can't spin or or manipulate your movement in any other direction except the one your already headed.

Lastly sr50ing doesn't win games skill and a plethora of other techniques do, their is footage to support this. The true advantages in this game IMHO are:

1.movement, no not sr50 but deadly ssg dancing, running avoiding pickups which make sound and give away position, and moving about maps in unconventional ways in which no one is expecting.

2.predictable preemptive strikes, players keep attacking the same fire some rockets in the general direction at random or even as you come upon these areas fire expecting someone to be there......soon n0bs will think your hacking

3.weapon mastering (ie.. many don't know the power of the chain gun and sg as they are to fascinated with the ssg which ends up getting them narrow minded and killed especially on maps with a good weapon spread.

4.experience , lets face it, if you want to perfect your swing shots you have to practice them it doesn't happen overnight

niv with no sr50 and no always run on could probably beat any n00b with sr50 binded ...does that help.
WeaponX
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going on the above post. Swing Shots - has this been proven that the shells create more damage?
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swing shots are an old wife's tale. We can stop the silly now. :>
_Beast_
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WeaponX wrote:
Going on the above post. Swing Shots - has this been proven that the shells create more damage?

I have heard about this but honestly I don't know. Maybe it appears they do because most swing shots are point blank. I usually swing shot when someone is running around me trying to avoid my sites. I never really run up on someone and then try to bust spin moves to complete a swing shot I just know that due to the situation that I'm in its highly effective when used properly.
WeaponX
God like!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast, I think it's just a case of actually aiming accurately =]
niv
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrt writing a kernel driver to emulate the sr50 key combo, I wouldn't.. however, you could also write a kernel driver to peek into the memory of Zdaemon and find the other players location (given sufficient reverse engineering) and then display said sprite on the correct cooridinates of the screen.. it's just integrity that prevents people who can do it from doing it. There's sort of a "law" in computer security:

[Ignore the below if you have no interest in said topic]:

When you have physical access to a device (even something like SecurID, which is "tamper-proof"), it is only resources (time, skill, money/equipment) that is the the protection against exploiting the device. For example, SecurID secret keys can be stolen from tokens if you have a full EM lab with something like a FIB (Focused Ion Beam) which ionizes the atoms on silicon and other materials and allow one to analyze the scatter of said atoms to glean information about the running hardware's state. The state can also be changed by, say, altering a trace (an address or data line). For fun: Google for something like +"Focused Ion Beam" +"Obama" to see the smallest (nano/picometer scale) sculpture of President Obama, for example. It's been done on a PCB (programmable circuit board) and is just a handful of atoms, which an electron microscope lets you see. The FIB alone costs about $1M USD.

This holds true for software, except the resources for software are pretty much only skill, and maybe a few tools (IDA Pro). The cost is significantly lower (this is why ZDaemon, and all games on the PC, are susceptible to pretty much any reverse engineering/modification one can think of. It's also why server-side security is the best, because an attacker doesn't have access to the server binary, in order to change it). There are some mitigations for this (Arxan is a piece of software that obfuscates executable files [say PE32/64 .exe] that can give even the best reverse engineers) headaches. It obfuscates the files to such a degree that a great reverse engineer would have to spend orders of magnitude more time to get the same result as they would with the same executable code not run through the Arxan software.

[End of disgression]

Swing shots don't work. It's an old-wives tale indeed, because people who can pull off great swing shots tend to associate the results of said swing shots with some intrinsic change in the game. Your super-shotgun generates as much damage while "swinging" your mouse as it does while standing still. There is no additional "velocity" added to the bullets from a swingshot due to a bug in the game.
Skitz0.X
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great that some people here are educated in software development (I'm a novice), but it seems like niv went a real roundabout way of simply saying:
"Some people have the skill to exploit the game but they don't"
Ok...and? Rolling Eyes

I wouldn't want to presume you were just rambling to show off knowledge on a forum, who would ever do such a thing?! And on the internet?! Laughing
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop the presses! It's in 1.10b1.

Code:
11. Added a new dmflag (DF_MULTIKEYBINDS = 1073741824) and an associated
    CVAR (sv_multikeybinds). It determines whether aliases/bindings can
    trigger more than one key at the same time (typically used for SR50
    automation).
_Beast_
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skitz0.X wrote:
It's great that some people here are educated in software development (I'm a novice), but it seems like niv went a real roundabout way of simply saying:
"Some people have the skill to exploit the game but they don't"
Ok...and? Rolling Eyes

I wouldn't want to presume you were just rambling to show off knowledge on a forum, who would ever do such a thing?! And on the internet?! Laughing

Yes its rambling, as there is no juxtaposition to my post about sr50. Just to be clear binding directional commands into a customized configuration for a game isn't reverse engineering, its 1337 and shared when asked...lol. Most people just choose to bind stupid 'say' spam when they get double kills and stuff.

niv wrote:

[End of disgression]

Swing shots don't work. It's an old-wives tale indeed, because people who can pull off great swing shots tend to associate the results of said swing shots with some intrinsic change in the game. Your super-shotgun generates as much damage while "swinging" your mouse as it does while standing still. There is no additional "velocity" added to the bullets from a swingshot due to a bug in the game.

Who said it did more damage?

My hint at this move is the skill of swinging and hitting the opponent in a tight area not that it creates more damage. However we all know that tapping the chaingun will place the damage directly on target as opposed to spreading the shots out which would cause less damage. We know that at long distance the shotgun is more effective than the ssg and that these weapons have an inverted relationship.
_Beast_
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[n00b]Adereth wrote:
Stop the presses! It's in 1.10b1.

Code:
11. Added a new dmflag (DF_MULTIKEYBINDS = 1073741824) and an associated
    CVAR (sv_multikeybinds). It determines whether aliases/bindings can
    trigger more than one key at the same time (typically used for SR50
    automation).

highly unnecessary but I guess it will make everyone happy, personally I think a CVAR for extended killing sprees with cartoonish words flying about the screen and earthquake like effects would be more appropriate and welcome but thats just my lame ass non-appreciated opinion.
DX-Chain
God like!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny to see people still butt hurt about sr50 "automation" and this being a reason to either come back or not come back to playing Laughing

Some people gotta have a reason to feel relevant again, I suppose... Well done, internets!
Fsn76
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El dioude ! Very Happy *demasked*
Shakal
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niv plz!
switcher
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Niv my man, I must say you make an excellent point,
In fact I couldn't have said it better myself... or maybe I already did.
Bottom line is the SR50 cheat ruined this game years ago.
A fix after so many years of these cheaters abusing the SR50 one finger hack just would not be fair to them.
So no, leave it alone.
Let them use the one finger hack.
I will continue to used my bent out of shape clothes hanger.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: