ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A bid farewell

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sniper
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: A bid farewell Reply with quote

I’ve been thinking about making a thread announcing my retirement from the doom scene for a while now; but I’ve never really been a fan of goodbye threads so have been putting it off.

I originally met Doom when my grandfather got hold of a copy of it for PSX on a car boot sale. After having played the single player to death I was thirsty for some online impse. It seems like a lifetime ago back in 2005 when I first discovered ZDaemon via a google search for ‘online doom’. Now, over 8 years later my passion for the game seems like it has finally been exhausted. I do not mean in a negative sense, I still think Doom is brilliant but I really don’t have the motivation to get involved these days. Paired with a new promotion at the beginning of 2013, a stable long-term relationship and (all being well) buying my first house at the beginning of next year; it makes sense that I make some sort of bid farewell.

I have had some monumental times throughout the years, and have met some fantastic people along the way; some of which I do not even deem to be ‘online’ friends anymore and have played a big part in my real life. That is rare thing and is something that our previous generations probably could not have accomplished. Although the community seems to have diminished slightly over the years it is still here and I’m pretty sure the dev team is still developing. Will there ever be an end? Who knows?

I did a bit of mapping over the years (albeit fairly basic), took part in several tournaments, hosted a few LAN parties; I even met a chaotic frenchie! (Cheers Fsn!)

In-game wise I feel that I peaked around 2010/11 where I (arguably) gave some of the top players in the world a run for their money. I could never quite get over the last hurdle but I like to think that I have been ‘useful’ from time-to-time. There are still some great talents out there spread out over all of the ports and I hope those people continue playing. Having veterans around is good for the game and is essential for the development of newer aspiring players.

I’m not going to do a list of ‘thanks’ to the many people that deserve one. After 8 years (which equates to a third of my entire lifetime) there are far too many people to list. But it goes without saying that the dev team and ZD staff deserve a huge amount of credit so thanks for keeping the game alive. They have had a bumpy road at times but have stuck with it and without certain members of the team the port that we all take for granted would not be here for all to enjoy.

I know I’ll see some of you around on social networking and in real life but to those of you that doesn’t apply to, good bye and good luck!

Best regards,

ShadowForce.
Skitz0.X
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cool that things are going well man, goodluck.

Over the years people are fairly dismissive with goodbye threads by pasting a long quote of links to the dozens that have been posted on here, but fuck it, ZD meant something to you so it seems fitting to leave a last note.

Goodluck with everything. I didn't know you very well but have seen you around.

The ZD community are all pretty close, in good and bad ways. We're also part of a very unique and interesting corner of the internet that refuses to die. Cool
So yeah, stop by the lobby from time to time. It's never really "goodbye" for anyone here. That's a good thing.
ItalianStallion
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll always be the biggest bint I ever knew. Good luck with life. You better at least come around irc once and a while.
dewww
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your life. One day you'll achieve it all, a good haircut included. :)
.Lristrân
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an oldie player to look up and to want to overcome one day. Glad to see that everything is going well for you now taking another path in your life. I never knew you pretty well but anyway we belonged to the same community and had quite same interest so we are in the same gang :p
good for you man wish you the best and do it well IRL, cheers
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ShadowForce! We haven't spoken much, but I believe we've spent a lot of playing time together in-game over the years, especially in CTF. I'm not sure if you remember me, but I definitely remember you. Smile That's why I know you're gonna be missed as a player as well as a community member.

It's good to see things go well for you in real life. Really, good for you! I hope things will work out for you in the future as well. I also hope that when you have some time to spend, you will spend that here and come by from time to time.

I wish you the best (including the good haircut). Until next time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skitz0.X wrote:
Over the years people are fairly dismissive with goodbye threads by pasting a long quote of links to the dozens that have been posted on here...

...It's never really "goodbye" for anyone here. That's a good thing.

That was precisely what they were dismissive of. Largely due to several cases of people taking no more than a few day's break before they again scratched the itch.

Anyways, take care Sniperface Smile
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People leave all the time, and what's nice about it is that even when someone you've known for a very long time leaves, you're left with the memories.

Have a nice break ShadowForce, I'm sure you'll have the occasional game again in the future. This community has been a part of all our lives, and it's nice to see people come and go Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IleKallio
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one ever really quits.
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Romero will make you his bitch again some day.
rygrass
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone comes back

Wheres that list again?

Goodluck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Edwart
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^

GG Shadowforce :)
WeaponX
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ok, you've lost shadowforce, but on the upper hand you've gained a better one (myself) =]
OurHero
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks shadowforce you've always been someone i looked up to when i first started playing zdaddy... grinding my way up the top 25 EXP ladder you will be missed farewell
Watermelon
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMWforce should be a pokemon.

Please hop on IRC so we can chat about BMWs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: