Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:56 am Post subject: 3 Singleplayer Maps (TheDevil'zWork)
Hey everyone, I recently finished up 3 vanilla compatable singleplayer maps and I would like to know what you guys think. I posted about these over at Doomworld, but my theory is that more feedback makes a better product!
Also, the MIDIs were made by The Devilz Work, which is my band. You can use them if you'd like, but give credit!
Kinda sad to see no replies in such a long time. I hope you're still with us. Anyways, I'll post some quick comments, maybe you'll see them:
Comments on the whole wad:
There was a pallete swap, correct? I really liked it, it looked very good.
The music was very doomlike and definitely helped.
Props for vanilla-compatible. I really like that.
MAP01 - Score: 5/10
This map is not bad. It has good architecture and design. It would make for a very strong starter map in a megawad. However, there are some major flaws:
1. I realize its just a bunch of single maps, but putting 5x red barons and a few hell knights with just a few shotgun rounds and no medikits (only stimpacks) is a bit unfair, especially when there are hitscan monsters nearby to reduce your health, which i'd rather not kill since im trying to conserve ammo, but i have to do it or theyll snipe me to death, which leaves me with no ammo to kill the barons with. Nothing wrong with a hard map, but this makes it hard for the wrong reasons. Add more health drops, ammo, or change the red barons into hell knights.
2. Dont ever make a slime pit that you cant get out of, especially if you use SUPPORT texture on the side to make you think you can get out. Just put a teleporter in the slime, problem solved NP. This isn't such a big deal but it can definitely piss some players off. Personally I wouldn't make pits without a way out.
MAP02 - Score: 7.5/10
I liked this map much more. It seemed there was a lack of SSG in the map. As well as the previous. Which is totally cool; I prefer maps with more of a DOOM I strategy / weaponry. But the lack of a rocket launcher, ssg, plasma, or bfg was getting to me. But then I stumbled across the rocket launcher! Just a few things I thought could be improved:
1. Ammo / health, again. There isnt a SINGLE health pickup; not even a 1% health bonus, until near the end, when the wave of monsters is there. Yes, there's a megasphere, but you have to kill quite a few monsters to get to it, so yeah. All you would need here is a few stimpacks or a single medikit or two near the beginning and that would make this map far better. You ditched the red barons for hell knights so that's good.
2. The exit. Why is it so hard to get to? The only way to get to it is to wall creep to it. Unless I did something wrong. But I opened the map in doombuilder and didn't see any other way to get to the exit. It's kind of cool actually, but it could be a major issue in multiplayer or online, where ping/lag/other dick players cause it to be hard to get to. I would suggest adding harder jumps that are straight on or at slight oblique angles, not near-90 degree wall creeping. But this one might just be me bitching at something that isn't "normal". Ive made some pretty weird shit myself.
MAP03 - Score: 5/10
I wanted to say this map was the best of the three. It ALMOST is. Strategic use of the plasma rifle and soulsphere provides some good play. But there's some MAJOR issues in other areas.
1. Another inescapable slime pit. Take it out or add a way out!
2. I like the monster teleports. However, you reverted to the use of high numbers of red barons, which is a monster that is sadly over-used in many wads. They are not difficult and take long times to kill. I would tone down on them a bit. But it's not just the barons. The amount of monsters just becomes so overwhelming that you can't NOT take damage. If I have to use godmode and still can't get past the big ass clump of monsters without noclip, that's poor monster placement, or insufficient firepower (lack of cells or rockets). This would not be so bad. BUT THERE'S STILL NOT ENOUGH AMMO AND HEALTH.
In conclusion, I sorta liked the pack. Would I ever play it seriously? Nope! Sorry, but the thing placement is just too poor. Luckily, this is easy to fix. So don't take it too hard. Always always always put more health and ammunition than you think the player will need. Good difficulty comes from strategically places monsters, puzzles, FAIR traps, and other things. NOT depriving the player of ammunition and health. Unless youre idgames and this is E4M1. Then you can put no health (; I feel like this pack would be MUCH better with the Super Shotgun, but that's just me.
Final Score? 5.5/10. With sufficient health and ammunition? 8/10.
By the way, I hope it doesn't seem to harsh. But terrible thing placement REALLY puts the damper on it. At least the maps are beatable. But you have to painstakingly lure the monsters away, since you won't have enough ammo to win. I played each map from a pistol start.
EDIT: After further inspection of the wad in doombuilder, I found an SSG. Too bad they are tough to find =/ I see that you are more of a deathmatch player, where weapons are generally given differently, but in a DOOM2 wad that uses a lot of strong monsters, you'll probably want to give a powerful weapon to the player early on. Further, my runs were pretty quick, I didn't spend a whole lot of time on each map, so take my review with a grain of salt, if you must.
Joined: 05 Jan 2005 Location: off the grid, but still fighting for the users!
Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:11 pm Post subject:
Kinda sad to see no replies in such a long time. I hope you're still with us.
Oh he's always around, on and off! But yeah, sad indeed that this one slipped right under everyone's radar
Maps were a nice size, and not outrageously puzzlish. The Baron/HK count seemed a bit high to me, but everything else seemed spot-on. I could say that getting to shoot revenants behind bars on MAP02 seemed a little cheap, but they get to have ample revenge
Didn't understand that trapped Arachno on MAP03 though. And yeah, those tunes work nicely.
Big thanks to Whymes for a much richer review - extra props for nobody having to tell him to do it
Hopefully someone else will be feeling selfless enough to give him more feedback on his Master Co-op
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum