ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A_Spawn-ing Projectiles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jad
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: A_Spawn-ing Projectiles Reply with quote

Basically, how do I go about doing this?

I've made a DEHACKED patch that changes the imp's attack frame codepointer to A_Spawn, and given the frame's unknown 1 & 2 params 17 and 36 respectivley.
This spawns a baron fireball, but it doesn't move.
See: http://jadwerx.com/files/spawntest1.wad

I've tried some other stuff too like adding a tracer codepointer to the projectiles spawn state, nothing.

Is there a way of getting the spawned projectile to move like a projectile should? I'd really like to be able to make custom ones for new monsters.

1.09b27 release (2012-05-10) wrote:
5. Fixed missiles spawned with the A_Spawn codepointer in online mode.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aeyesx, just wtf are you even talking about? I can't even tell if you're trying to help or just to confuse Laughing

Jad, I checked your patch and it makes perfect sense - although I thought the codepointer was "A_spawn", not simply "spawn", but that makes no difference.

The thing is that you're trying to use (A_)spawn as an attack. But it isn't one, it's exactly what it says it is - a spawner.

If you want to add "new" projectile attacks you'll have to resort to using some of that Heretic DEHSUPP stuff.

So that's all clear enough. I just don't understand what that development release note is all about. Could someone explain that?
Does it mean that missiles spawned in that way are removed (in the same way that any other missiles with 0 velocity is)?
Jad
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so to use a "custom" projectile, I need to point the monster's attacking frame to the correct heretic frame (defined somewhere in DEHSUPP), and it will use it's projectile attack.

This is as close as I've gotten, and I've gone though every heretic imp frame (1380 - 1417) looking for its projectile attack, but it doesn't seem to have one. This causes the imp to scratch you when you are close.

Code:
#imp attacking frame
Frame 453
Next frame = 1394 #Heretic imp attack?

Frame 1394   #Heretic imp attack?
Next frame = 444

#heretic imp fireball
Frame 1426
Sprite number = 41 #baronball sprite

Frame 1427
Sprite number = 41 #baronball sprite

Do I need to do anything special to the heretic imp fireball to get it to spawn in doom? The last 2 frames in the dehacked above should just change its sprite so its visible while it's moving, but I haven't seen one spawn.

I have tried adding the "Game = Doom" declaration under Thing 176 (HereticImpBall).
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jad wrote:
Okay, so to use a "custom" projectile, I need to point the monster's attacking frame to the correct heretic frame (defined somewhere in DEHSUPP), and it will use it's projectile attack.

Correct. As I told you the other day, Heretic has no codepointers which can be externally referenced.

And yes, sorry, it's quite a bit of guesswork to find a particular state for a Heretic actor. Doomer did have a DEHSUPP which is better documented for this, I'll have to see if I can find it. Or if you look in Cuppy's Hehretic the DEHACKED in there may give you enough clues.

Not sure about trying to change the Heretic imp attack the way you are trying to. Why not just change the codepointer on it to "BruisAttack" if it's Baron fireballs you're after? I thought the whole point of the exercise was that you wanted new projectiles rather than existing Doom ones?

Jad wrote:
Do I need to do anything special to the heretic imp fireball to get it to spawn in doom?

You do need to make that you have sprites in your PWAD for it, otherwise Doom will have nothing to display when the fireball spawns.
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm a fool at this shite but hehretic_f.wad might help, worst-vd-plas redefined many Heretic monsters using dehacked. For example this is what the gargoyle looks like:

Code:
Thing 172 (HereticImp)
Hit points = 40
Speed = 655360 #10
Pain chance = 200
Mass = 50

# HereticImp Far attack frame
Frame 1395
Duration = 10
Next frame = 1396
#Code pointer = A_FaceTarget

Frame 1396
Duration = 2
Next frame = 1397
#Code pointer = A_ImpMsAttack

Frame 1397
Duration = 3

Frame 1398
Duration = 3

Frame 1399
Duration = 3

Frame 1400
Duration = 1
Next frame = 1396
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: