ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zdaemon II kickstarter commercial worldwide project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
S2RM
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Zdaemon II kickstarter commercial worldwide project Reply with quote

Hi guys. After enjoying some Survival online in an unknown talented wad, the idea visited my mind that Zdaemon should be remade. With enough money, we could make the same good old online doom, but 1. with modern graphics (irrelevant) and 2. with commercial wads and content.

What I mean is that if we, the community, make a Kickstarter project and raise as much money as, for example, Planescape Torment 2 raised, we can pay people to make us great new wads.

If we'll make a subscription-based service, people will pay us money for playing, and that money will go to designers, composers etc. We'll never be out of new content.

I imagine the same good old Doom with BFG and SSG and lots of dumb Hell Knights and Cacodemons, but with 2013 graphics. The maps will remain the same weird stylish dungeons full of hell and scifi, there's no need for cutscenes or events or scripts or whatever. The deathmatches will be the same good dwango and brit10, but this time, with bumpmapping, shaders, aa and shit. The community of players will be greatly expanded. There will be thousands of players.

That's about it. If we get enough commitment from the zdaemon community and modders and mapmakers and players, why not try kickstarter?
Sniper
God like!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont want to bash your post, it's a nice idea to monetise aspects of the game. What you mentioned about all this 'good old doom' with 2013 graphics doesn't really ring true to me. For me good old doom is about shitty graphics and textures. Classic doom with improved graphics has been tried before but has never really caught on. I believe some of the original maps have been reworked for Doom 3, but I am unsure if that's true. The classic aspects you speak of can already be enjoyed on zdaemon. Also, we have many ridiculously skilled mappers in the community who build maps and wads for free for the sheer reason of seeing others enjoy them. That is a great thing and paying people to design wads may discourage those who already do it for nothing and that would have a detrimental effect for us.

One thing that could be taken from your idea is getting the word out about zdaemon and increasing interest in our game. This has been discussed before and people have done good things to start the ball rolling but nothing ever materialised. A short search on the forum would uncover those threads if you are interested.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's never going to happen. Why? Well, how do you think iD software would feel about other people making money off the backs of one of their games? Laughing

Like Sniper [welcome back dude!] said, there's no shortage of creators around. But you have it completely ass-backward if you think it's them that need paying to make new content, when it's really the f&*%ing players who seem to need paying to play it!

Just keep playing "unknown talented wads" and telling others about them Wink
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remain firm in my standard rate of production line assembly for your custom pwad needs: $0.10 USD per vertex.

It's against id Software's terms of service to release a commercial modification of a Doom engine/port.
Emui-Tan
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, if your name is Raphael, and you bribed iD with 5000 US$. Dunno if he used kickstarter or not tho, but beware, as you all soon will play balanced DooM with fair weapons, money make world go round /!\
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also don't think this is going to work. The reasons have already been given. I have no reason to add to that list myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jad
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCupboard wrote:
I remain firm in my standard rate of production line assembly for your custom pwad needs: $0.10 USD per vertex.

I'll pay $1.40 for 2 perfect connected regular heptagons, larger than 64 units on a side.

Extra stipulation:
As long as no tool is used to do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: