ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doom 2 tournament at quake con 2013
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doomination
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Doom 2 tournament at quake con 2013 Reply with quote

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doomworld-news/64502-doom-2-tournament-at-quakecon-2013/
http://www.quakecon.org/
Saw this hadn't been posted yet. I'm in Austin, TX until August 9th, yet unfortunately I will not be able to make this.. (no car)

Hopefully you guys will enjoy it!
OurHero
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[DB4D]DemonSphere will be attending and representing DB4D

Very Happy
[DA]DarthBane
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OurHero wrote:
[DB4D]DemonSphere will be attending and representing DB4D

Very Happy

AND ZDAEMON don't forget that !!!!!!!!
DevastatioN
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm most likely going as well, hope to see others there!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no word on which port/settings they'll be using?

Can't imagine Dev would be attending unless he'd had some assurances in that regard.
DevastatioN
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have is that it will be computer based... it will be duel...

I have nothing in regards to which port or maps, or settings (besides that it will be no mouselook, no jumping, so classicalish settings).

Knowing that it's duel/PC based is enough for me to say I'm most likely going to go, just trying to arrange details with some other players. I'm still checking out all the sources everyday waiting for a firm announcement on maps/port to be used.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ch0wW
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the port used will be Doom2.exe, unofficial version 1.9.1 for fixing the mouse-problem while demo-recording...

I can't see this on Console. Afair, I have never seen a console tournament during the QuakeCon.
DevastatioN
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not believe doom2.exe (it's not a port anyway :/) is being concidered. Since it would require DOSBox or something to run, unless they wanted to set us up with Win98 machines, and then figure out hardware problems.

Thankfully it will not be played on console.
Doomination
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DevastatioN wrote:
unless they wanted to set us up with Win98 machines, and then figure out hardware problems.

It definitely won't be this. From their website:
Quote:
Bring Your Own Computer
What is the BYOC?

The Bring Your Own Computer (BYOC) area at QuakeCon is the largest free gaming Local Area Network (LAN) party in the world. We provide the tables, chairs, power, and enormous gaming network; you bring your computer that’s ready-to-play your favorite video games. It’s just about that simple.
What should I bring?

You should bring your computer (tower, desktop, or laptop), a monitor, and any peripherals that you want to use at the event like a keyboard, mouse, and headphones. It’s also great to bring personal security devices, like laptop lock cables. We do an amazing job keeping your equipment safe, but it’s always good to be pro-active about your investment.

I could see them using Doom95 to run it, have fun haha
DevastatioN
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of their major tournaments, meaning it's not a BYOC event... the tournament wwould be played on their tournament machines, so you don't even have to be in the BYOC area.

So it could technically still be Win98 tournament machines, but that would be silly.

DooM95, I can't imagine, but that would be funny. Does Doom95 even run under WinXP?
Ch0wW
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DevastatioN: with some fixes, yes, it can be run.

That's why DooM2.exe would be a better choice: only Dosbox will be necessary, no 3rd party fix Smile
DevastatioN
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they ar elooking for pure oldschool, chocolatedoom would probably be the best choice.

The other side of this, we want people to get exposure to how doom is currently played, and teaching them how to run a ton of dos commands isn't necessarily the best solution. Something more modern with client/server launcher etc. would be more familliar to players who currently play newer games. So this could be another boom for online doom.

As much as I'd love nothing more to see doom2.exe/chocolatedoom, I don't think it's the best choice for this event. We'll see what they think though!
Ch0wW
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
IPXSETUP.EXE -deathmatch -timer 10 -file dwango5.wad -record XXXX -nomonsters -maxdemo 4096

rem Optionnal:
rem -warp 07
rem -altdeath

I don't see what's difficult running this command to make a DM game; plus, at a time where batchs exists/ed Smile

Anyway, I (and too the makers of the tournament) prefer to get the original game rather than a port that is "close to" the original game (ie: Zd/Skt/Oda).

That's like QuakeWorld during the QuakeCon today: no nQuake/FuhQuake/XX port, only the original game, (gl)qwcl.exe .

EDIT: updated the code part with deathmatch && -timer 10 parameter, "in case of" Smile

Last edited by Ch0wW on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
DevastatioN
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, I would definitely prefer it personally, and so would any hardcore player.

Still not sure that's the best option though, when you consider trying to bring in new players, unfortunately ways to play the original are not really possible, and no community exists for it.

So it depends on the goal of the tournament really. From what the organizer has said, they want it a mix of oldschool / casual gaming, so unfortunately it'll include a timelimit instead of a frag limit.... that alone is going to distort how the game is played.
Ch0wW
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When new players are coming, offer them a better port, where possibilities and ways to bring fun are "endless".

But when you get an official tournament, bring the official port, that's as simple as that...

I know there is no community for the official doom2.exe excepted as the defunt dwango service, but there are still people who uses it, mostly for coop demos, or deathmatchs. Some people on the DooM2 Steam forum, JCD, Dislogical, Oxyde & I are some people using it a lot for example.

Yet, hitting the fraglimit is one way to play a game... But, using timelimit actually offers more stress to the players (fragging the enemy a lot to get more advantage and protect myself a lot) but it is another way to play the game, and reduces the time used for a tournament; when I've seen duels taking 45 minutes for 40 frags on D5M1, I can imagine that decision. To be honest, except on the "now-defunt XIII", I have not seen a lot of games having duels with fraglimit...

That's like on 0-X-Duel from Oxyde. We're using on this NS map a timelimit of 10 minutes to get it as quaky as it seems instead of the classical 40 frags. It's another way to play the game, that tends to give players another vision of duelling, even if it's not truly "DooM". And worst of it, it actually interests people playing this way!

Back on the topic anyway: for DooM, I think they will do duels the normal way, having 10 minutes/round, Bo3 style...

HOWEVER. What version will they use? Version 1.9 having mouse-look problems? Or 1.9.1 unofficial bringing back normal mouse-precision while recording?

As I'm assuming they will record every demo people will play online...
DevastatioN
God like!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiousity, does DOSBox have builtin encapsulated IPX for playing online? Or are you using a third party software to connect? I'm generally always interested in playing some doom2.exe, #Nightmare isn't as active anymore of course.

Timelimit will be interesting... when you get two serious players, it turns kinda silly. I could easily see some rediculous camping 1-0 games between JKist and I, I'm not so sure that's spectator friendly.
Ch0wW
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dosbox does have IPX support ; all you have to do is to :

1) Open port 213 (the port used for IPX if hosting online)
2) in your Dosbox parms, search for:

Code:
[ipx]
ipx=false

and set it to true

3) as the hoster, write this command to create the ipx server:
Code:
ipxnet startserver

4) as the client, use this command:
Code:
ipxconnect [ip/dns]

And then, the ipxsetup, as stated above ;

If people would like, I could host my personnal dosbox sandbox! All you would have to do is to put your wads to the folders, and here you all go!

For the timelimit, it depends, it's too the goal when you have a duel, it's hide & seek (+ timing items for NS maps), but on small maps, being found would be obvious (map01 / king1, even American McGee's Map01 deathmatch map)... Maps like D5M1 could be easy to be found as there are usually 2 spots that people usually don't check a lot (inside GA, and BFG-exit) ; and last of it, it depends too on the map....
Dopefish
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's odamex afterall http://www.quakecon.org/2013/07/get-registered-for-this-years-quakecon-tournaments/

rules: http://zmi-cdnstatic.s3.amazonaws.com/bethblog/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/QuakeCon_2013_20th_Anniversary_Doom_Challenge_Rulebook1.pdf

any European coming?
Doomination
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odamex? Weird..

And the settings/map pool:

Quote:

Duel Bracket Server Settings
Duel gametype
Ten (10) minute timelimit
Thirty (30) fraglimit
No Freelook
No Jumping
Weapon Stay
No Item Respawn
Skill: Nightmare

Duel Bracket Map Pool
Dwango5Map1 - Entryway
Dwango5Map7 - Dead Simple
Judas - Barrels ‘o Fun
King
SSL2

Also, dopefish, nice DT avatar!
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy cheating!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: