ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zdaemon blinks on fullscreen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ch0wW
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Zdaemon blinks on fullscreen Reply with quote

I've got a problem with Zdaemon since a few days on fullscreen mode: it blinks every seconds, making the game awfully unplayable. On windowed mode, nothing happen.

If I play on other games on fullscreen (such as Aion, TF2, QL,QW, etc...), the problem does not occur. Neither on Zdoom 2.X (software mode) or in other doom ports. On DooM2 Dosbox, nothing too. The screen doesn't blink.

I have resetted the Zdoom.ini file, and the problem still occurs.

Now, I highly doubt it is because of one recent NViDIA driver update, causing the issue. Of course, I have made some troubleshooting, such as uninstalling recent softwares prior of the issue, made antiviruses checks, disabling softwares, and it still occurs. And the latest thing I haven't tested is the Graphic Card's driver, as I haven't found a solution to revert to the previous version.

A video of the problem can be found here: http://dl.baseq.fr/glitched.avi

If that's not the place to post the problem, please move it to the expected section.
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which operating system do you use? 32/64 bit?
Is the problem also there with lowest settings for zdaemon.exe? Screenshot
What's your NVIDIA driver version?
Ch0wW
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course; as x64 is becoming a standing on newest computers, I'm using Win7 x64.

Yes anyway, my PC is using those settings (and even if I modify them, the problem still occurs).

Lastly, the NViDIA version used there is 320.18 . the 310.xx one and earlier wouldn't make the screen blink like on the video captured.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZDaemon is using directdraw. Could be related to that.
The upcoming win 8 fix should take care of this as well.
Ch0wW
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information phenex Very Happy
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running any program that has a tray icon or might try to show some tray notification? we've seen something like that years ago on XP and it was due to some messenger, chat or similar.
Ch0wW
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing was running in tray except zdaemon. It is always the first thing to do when I see something wrong, to be sure it isn't a 3RD party program to be the cause of the problem.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
<Lyfe> I recognize that effect from running dual gpu's with AMD.
<Lyfe> I used to turn off the second gpu in order to play zdaemon.. nowadays, I have a single nvidia GPU, so.. no more issue.
<Kilgore> I use AMD as well.. but a single one
<Lyfe> yeap.
<Lyfe> only occurred with crossfire turned on.
Please let us know your graphics card make and model. Are you running dual graphics cards by any chance?
Ch0wW
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't be really pleased of my answer Sad ...

I own a laptop ( Asus N73SV ) which has an integrated graphic card from Intel, and another one from Nvidia (GT540M - 1GB of memory, and uses the Optimus technology).

So no Dual-cards, only 2 different ones. And no AMD, only Intel/Nvidia.

However, I have configured it, so that only the NVIDIA graphic card is the only card used when running games. Thus, an external screen is used, forcing the Nvidia chip to take over the Intel one. And the problem still remains.

(The problem was happening once I upgraded the Nvidia driver by the way. I haven't updated the Intel one, as judged unnecessary for me)
BAZOOKA
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case.
I am using Win 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 with Nvidia 320.18 drivers since begining of this month and I got zero errors or anomalies at the moment.
Also I have Aero style activated.

If you want to install older Nvidia drivers: first you must uninstall actual ones, enter safe mode and run a program like Driver Sweeper that deletes all residual files (some people says to use it, other says normal uninstall is enough) and finally reboot again and install version of drivers you want.
Ch0wW
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: [It has been strangely solved!] Reply with quote

Thanks Bazooka for the nvidia feedback then.

I just uninstalled the driver, and no blinking appeared again. In this case, I will install the 320.14 (the beta driver), and test it again.

EDIT: Using the 320.14 beta driver does not make the screen to blink. I'll retry using the 320.18 driver and test it again.

EDIT2 : I updated back to 320.18, and tons of problems happened ; either my PC didn't recognise the Graphic card, either the Intel one made my screen glitch to death, making my PC really unable to start correctly.

So, I have to use a backup to restore, 2 days ago. Zdaemon works well now, no more screen blinking, don't even ask me how.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: