ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacing 'skins.wad' on most servers - A suggestion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Replacing 'skins.wad' on most servers - A suggestion Reply with quote

So, any frequent ZD players know that a lot of coop servers also have good ol' skins.wad as an optional (or sometimes mandatory) pwad. I personally love playing with skins, but we have to face the horrible truth, and that is that skins.wad has a few great skins, but mostly a ton of garbage.

I've found a lot of skin pack wads, some great and some awful. But recently while hunting around on youtube and elsewhere, I've found a wad called "newskins.wad". It basically seems to be an overhaul of skins.wad - Yes, it's still full of ripped resources, and actually what caught my attention is that it even has ripped the beavis and butthead skins that I made. However everything seems to be polished really nicely and all the skins are worthwhile.

Anyway, enough of this rambling. Download 'newskins.wad' here -
http://www.mediafire.com/?k9cib679i0z7tt4

Any server hosts who see this, I reccomend using this instead of the old outdated 'skins.wad'. There is a lot more variety Smile Just a suggestion!
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello DoomKid92!

We will be using these new skins next friday on Friday's Monster Mash.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Empyre
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked it out, and it's not good for coop because of the skins that make the player look like Doom monsters, which cause confusion, and it's not good for competitive modes because of the lemming skin, which makes the player practically invisible. If those skins weren't in there, I would happily use it on my server. For now, I'll continue to use 25marinepack2_b. At least the gigantic ATST skin is gone. I love the large variety, and I wish I could use it.
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pesky little Lemming skin! Funny but annoying. I do have a bit of editing ability, I may make a patch with a different name that takes out the lemming and the monsters. Looking forward to Friday, should be fun Cool
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoomKid92 wrote:
...everything seems to be polished really nicely and all the skins are worthwhile.

Hardly. All the ridiculously small skins are still in there, and all the overlarge ones too. (Bear in mind that skinscaling doesn't work online, so things like Batman will be twice the size they're supposed to be).

It's not possible to patch over shitty skins, so I might go "remaster" this myself.

EDIT:

Here - done: WinSkins
Why "WinSkins"? Ask Krawa!

I worked with the base of NewSkins and:
    removed all those dumb small skins: chicken, lemming, pig, etc
    reinstated some of the worthwhile ones that had been dropped
    filled in gaps - eg there were some Star Wars and Half-Life skins in here, but there were others out there which weren't previously included
    scaled things up or down to be more uniform - skins like The Predator and Mario are still larger or smaller than regular humans, but not to such extremes*
    removed the arrow from the Batman sprites
    added a skin of my own
    sorted some of the skins into groups - eg all the turtles now have the prefix "TMNT", so will all be found together

Use it, add to it, or whatever Smile

* skin scaling is not currently supported online but, as we've been informed that it will be in the next ZD release, there was no point taking the oversize ones out. But yes, things like the TF2 skins will continue to look ridiculous until then.
Empyre
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked it out and it's still not suitable for coop. In coop, you do not want the players looking like the monsters.

If you would make a coop version without the monster skins, and perhaps reintroduce the chicken and pig, but not the lemming, that would be AWESOME! Maybe call it CoopSkins, unless you have a better name, which you might.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empyre wrote:
I checked it out and it's still not suitable for coop. In coop, you do not want the players looking like the monsters.

I couldn't agree with this sentiment more. But, as so many co-op players and hosts continue to think that quantity of skins is superior to quality, I was strictly aiming to make the best of a bad job.

The problem with classifying a "monster skin" is twofold:
Do you include anything that looks like it could be a monster, so as to make sure players know what to shoot - and what not to? Because then everything from the Half-Life Alien through to the Hissy has to go.
Many wads out there have custom monsters - some even contain enemies that are marine variants. So how can every eventuality be successfully catered for?

I mean, for example, I was playing something the other night as the Wolfenstein dog. The maps had nothing but standard Doom enemies, yet I was still being shot at by some players. I don't think there's any one skin pack which will suit everybody, but I think this is better than many.

Anyways, feel free to build on this or tear some more skins out of it. I'd just urge you not to reintroduce the smaller animals. If you really can't live without them, they could be relegated to a pack of their own.
Empyre
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll dig around in a copy of the wad and see if I can figure out how a skins wad works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: