ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disabling spam filtering for yes/no messages when voting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhinoduck
Potatoes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Disabling spam filtering for yes/no messages when voting Reply with quote

There are two situations that give me a headache when voting is going on:

1) I've already exceeded the message limit in an ongoing conversation when someone calls a vote.

2) The sent message gets lost (probably due to packet loss) but the spam filter still saves it as the last message and thus you can't simply send yes/no again. If you want to fix this, you need to send a different message first and then the voting message again and in such case you are quite likely to hit the problem in point 1.

IMHO the second point in general is undesirable behaviour (lost message logged into the spam filter) and should be considered a bug.

Alternative solution: Make bindable voting console commands independent of chat.

PS: Maybe there already is a way around this and this cry of mine is meaningless. If you know such way, please, please, tell this impatient rhinoduck.
ModeneseAdriano
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i binded these on console:
bind pgup yes
bind pgdn no

I don't know if "yes" and "no" commands are just some macros for "say yes" and "say no" or completely standalone commands, try them out to see if you still experience the same problem
rhinoduck
Potatoes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have binds set up but I was using "say ..." and Ins and Del keys to prevent sending messages by accident when quickly switching to/from and scrolling in console.

ModeneseAdriano wrote:
I don't know if "yes" and "no" commands are just some macros for "say yes" and "say no" or completely standalone commands, try them out to see if you still experience the same problem

I didn't know about these, they behave as "say yes" and "say no" aliases but they seem to bypass the 'double post check'! This solves a part of my headache, thanks!

My plea for a change in voting so that it is not affected by messages/time filter still stands but I understand that this is a marginal issue.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My plea for a change in voting so that it is not affected by messages/time filter still stands but..

You were just shown a way to avoid the throttling. Why does "the plea still stand" when it's not needed ?
rhinoduck
Potatoes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
You were just shown a way to avoid the throttling. Why does "the plea still stand" when it's not needed ?

The yes/no console commands resolve the lost/repeated message problem for voting but the voting messages still count towards and get affected by the messages/time limit (I suppose that's what you mean by throttling). The in game chat has been used as a means to transfer the vote but it drags along unrelated functionality (message throttling) which negatively impacts the experience of using the feature. In player's words: I can't be sure if my vote will be passed to the server or not because I may have written too many chat messages just before - this does not make sense to me and, honestly, drives me nuts when it happens.

Maybe I'm still missing something but I played around with voting just now to test what is written above.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upcoming version will have "vote yes"/"vote no" listed in the Customize Controls menu. Players will be able to bind the yes/no commands directly without the need to do it manually and potentially wrong (e.g., using say). These commands bypass the spam filter. We won't add special cases to the alternate method of saying yes/no since this would need too much changes on the client AND server so people dont abuse it to spam yes/no. Think of the bound yes/no command as the preferable way to vote without potential side effects.
rhinoduck
Potatoes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news! Many thanks in advance!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Implemented Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: