ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible tweak of the +name feature?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Possible tweak of the +name feature? Reply with quote

removal of the +name feature is intended to remove malicious aliasing, but it also removes oft used tag switching. it's also common for some players to alias to escape crowds of followers (say, ocelot or chewy). i'm wondering if it isn't possible to tweak the original command so it still serves your goal, but doesn't kill the feature entirely.

i doubt allowing the +name feature as a server-side option is a viable solution for you, so how about tweaking the connection message? it would say:
Code:
FeralKid has joined the server (dewww).

or something to that effect. then the messages, score sheet and intermission tally would all show the alias. printing out players in console would show user/alias again.
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be particularly nice for aliases that use funky clantags like ".CI.Gyross" which can't be created as a login name.
[FEAR]Tobi
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, this would definitely be better than it is now.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
FeralKid has joined the server (dewww).
Errr... the whole point of aliasing is that they won't know your real name. What you're asking for would defeat the whole point of aliasing.

You're mixing 2 different things here: clan tags vs aliasing. They're clearly not the same. And well... what you're asking for requires a lot of effort for relatively little benefit. As such, don't expect it to have any sort of priority.
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm aware aliasing per se would be impossible with my solution, but people can create alternate accounts for that purpose with no drawbacks. the removal of clantags/variant nicks handling is an annoyance though. i thought tweaking the join message and the "players" command console output would be easy, but i guess i was mistaken. i'm not asking you to make a priority out of it, just to take it into consideration. :)
Oxyde
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wondered why the e-mail function was never used on the player page? It could be of use here, aside from being displayed on the player's profile. Here's how I picture this:
  • On their profile page, players get a "Reclaim nick" tool.
  • This allows them to specify a nickname linked to their account, that can be used along with the +name command.
  • They get a confirmation e-mail sent to the afore-mentioned adress, with a validation link for security reasons.
  • Then, it's up to the staff to either accept or refuse to add the alias to the player's list of names.

Sure that means more work for the staff, but this could work quite well as they can revoke insulting/inapropriate names, impersonations, and futhermore can have a rather good list of who's wiling to troll more than anyone else.

Sure my suggestion has some flaws and could be enhanced, but I think it's good enough as it is.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxyde wrote:
Sure that means more work for the staff [...]

This is where i stopped reading Razz
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

accepted, but it will be done in a better way; you'll see it soon!
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new launcher was released today (2012-09-10)! You can now manage your aliases when you open "Settings->Servers->In-Game Aliases".
There you can add all your registered accounts and you can select a name that will be used In-Game in the upper right corner of the ZLauncher.
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genius! Nice work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Implemented Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: