ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZOMG!!!!!1111 Racing Mod!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YO! Great new map and "engine" improvements!
I updated the server to the new wad and also include the 2 "fan made" maps. I just changed their map number.
So maybe they could also use the latest scripts and be included to the wad project. The we can start to play it Deathmatch.
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://sites.google.com/site/opcow4/sor500.wad

here's the new maps with the new scripts and FFA PlayerStarts. Mapinfo has also been fixed so hopefully music and skies should work right, assuming I didn't mess anything up.

No time to purty em up at all, but at least it's all working on the same system now, and should be ffa ready.

Op-Cow
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Server is updated.
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the support Krawa.

Now that the game is getting to be workable, let's pick it apart. [LAD]St._Anger has already been really helpful. Between him and me, we've come up with:

1.) OMGWHATWASITHINKING? Too much ammo! I didn't want to litter the track with pickups but it's better than this.
2.) If you wallrun across the finish in map 2, it doesn't register a lap.
3.) Because the map 2 pitstop awards ammo, players can sit outside the starting area blowing up players as they spawn and generally be a jerk.
4.) Map 4's weapons are apparently tagged for coop only.
5.) Map 5's teleport to the track is before the finish line. The best way to win is to get killed repeatedly.
6.) 4&5 will need major rebuilding, if they're going to be a part of any finished product. 4 to look better, 5 to play better.
7.) Maybe I should allow boosting in the rough areas. With the limited boost I don't think it will make the tracks too forgiving. Thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback,

Op-Cow
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Op-Cow wrote:
2.) If you wallrun across the finish in map 2, it doesn't register a lap.

Instead of using a linedef to trigger the script, use an Actor Enters/Leaves Sector action instead. You will have to place this in a way where players cannot abuse it, or add some safety code in the script to prevent players from triggering it when they should not. The sector should be long enough to catch players at really high speeds.

In fact, you should not use linedef triggers at all in the race track, because the faster a player is traveling, the more likely they are to completely skip over them. Use the sector action things instead.

It might also be wise to bump up player radius a bit too, or else add some safety nets in case players manage to escape the track via collision detection failure. You could for instance teleport them back to the starting line (or last checkpoint) if they break out.
[LAD]St_Anger1
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing EarthQuake mentioned the whole linedef deal, because I found a major bug/exploit regarding the NO2 system (changing the velocity of a player within the angle) and the lap counting linedefs, which also throw the player off for a security reason (Video). As you can see, crossing the line in reverse seems to count in the lap, but linedef, trying to bounce you forwards, gives you another lap, and using additional boost mid-air counters the ramp's force letting you win quickly.
Personally I think this should use a system most racing games use - checkpoints, regardless if they're hidden or not, having to pass a linedef (or better yet a sector) at the opposite side of the map would greatly decrease the possibility of cheating, even on the original map.
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback. I'll work out a way to implement this

Op-Cow
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will second a checkpoint system, not only for reasons mentioned by [LAD]St-Anger1, but because dying is often very detrimental to winning a race. In a respawn script, you should teleport players to the last checkpoint they reached so that by dying before the start line will not send the player back by an entire lap.

I think that checkpoints should be unmarked, and there should be multiple teleport destinations for each checkpoint, to avoid telefragging and possible spawn camping. Since teleports with the same TID are randomized, you can add multiple landings per checkpoint quite easily.

I know all these problems are starting to seem quite daunting, but pretty much any complex mod like this is going to require a lot of safety mechanisms. Just keep with it, and nail one problem at a time. Smile
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to pick your brains.

How many checkpoints do you think these tracks need? They're all fairly small, and I think only mute city is could be considered to need more than one.

Hehe, when I first figured out how to make a lap counting system work I thought "this is easy, I can't believe I didn't think of it before" Smile

Op-Cow
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I don't know the maps by name or number or yet, but yeah, the number of checkpoints would certainly need to vary. For that one map, the small oval track with the blood and skull piles, you can probably get away with just one checkpoint (on the opposite end of the start/finish line).

For Mute City, I think you would need 3 or 4.

I'd say you should be able to see the next checkpoint from the current one, establishing a visual chain of checkpoints. This more or less lets you see the general location of where you died after respawning. Note that in a map like Mute City, where you can pretty much see any number of potential checkpoints from one location, you don't have to take this literally. The distance between checkpoints could also vary, for example a straight stretch between two points might be longer, than a hazardous zone between two checkpoints.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just looking at UberGewei's XXXHQ last night, and I thought you should check it out, Mister Cow.

For one thing, I like the monkeys on the tricycles. For another, his arrow boosts on the floor would work well in this too.
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the update.

https://sites.google.com/site/opcow4/sor5002.wad
https://sites.google.com/site/opcow4/rrace3.wad

The big thing is, the checkpoint system. All maps have at least two to prevent players from running back and forth rather than doing laps.

Also fixed the other issues mentioned in my 8/02 post.

Minor changes to the script.

If the checkpoints are implemented right, this should eliminate the need for silly start and finish ramps.

Thanks for all the help folks,
Op-Cow
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Was just looking at UberGewei's XXXHQ last night, and I thought you should check it out, Mister Cow.

For one thing, I like the monkeys on the tricycles. For another, his arrow boosts on the floor would work well in this too.

Took a gander at this one. Cool stuff, I used some boost arrows in the tskuba track, and they'll be making they're return in other tracks.

Op-Cow
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New maps coming within the next couple of days!

Plus a dressing up of super off road.
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait!
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New wad containing new maps. No engine changes since rrace 3

https://sites.google.com/site/opcow4/rrace4b.wad

Super Off Road and Indy 500 have been integrated into the wad. Minor changes to Indy 500 and Super Off Road has been redecorated.

New maps, in the same order as the above screenshots

Map06: "Imp Crossing" Ah the gentle hills, open roads, and tranquil ponds of the American Midwest
Map08: "Figure 8 Derby" It's not whether you win or lose, it's how many you take with you. Fun fact: It's a happy accident this wound up as map 8. I think I'll leave it that way.
Map07: "Tsukuba Circuit" The track that started it all, now better looking and better playing.
Map09: "Cyberdemon's Castle" Did You Know? The cyberdemon is the single largest private sponsor of the Formula Doom Grand Prix. Every year an invitational event is held at his magnificent summer castle. All proceeds benefit UAC executives in need.

Op-Cow
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked in on this last night - had been a while.

Love some of the new maps - the impy one looks really good. And lol, I always wanted to make a Dunlop bridge sometime!

Shame it's FFA now, as you can't switch to chasecam anymore. It's a shame there's no player ranking at the end, but that would require all players to cross the finish line. Not really practical.
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to put together a leader board, but the closest thing I could find was a really clunky bit of script tracks a high score by setting up a variable as the high score, then changing it every time a player achieves it. Multiply that by however many players you want to display, and a constantly updating hudmessage, and you'd come away with a giant script that wouldn't be very accurate without obscene numbers of checkpoints anyways. Razz

Thanks for the feedback tho. I'm especially fond of the imp xing.

Op-Cow
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot some very important damage thing things in map09
Here's the fix

https://sites.google.com/site/opcow4/rrace4c.wad

Op-Cow
Edwart
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Did map10 but i don't put the scrpits and these stuff hehe there is

Download
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: