ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Velocity CTF

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Decay
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Velocity CTF Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm here to present to you a CTF project

Some of you know me, some of you don't, a quick introduction for those who don't would be that I'm not new to Doom or mapping, I just don't play very often because I don't have a ton of time to play anymore.

Velocity CTF is a project headed by the Mechanix Union, lead by another mapper named Dusk and myself. It is a fully functional multi-port map pack geared towards 3v3, 4v4 game play offering a variety of intensities, ranging from the godawful grinds of Crawl Space, hectic high scoring maps such as the Old Castle, and unpredictable maps like Sewers Smell Bad. The authors designed the maps with pace, gameplay and movement in mind over aesthetics. Details and good looks are pretty much a bonus. There should be something for everyone in this pack.

Velocity will be released in a manner of 1/2/3 based on success of the maps and acceptance in general. Velocity 1 is just about ready to ship out entirely, we are just working on adding finer details and fixing up any game play issues at the moment.

It is virtually an open project, meaning anyone can make a map for it, but that doesn't necessarily mean the map will be accepted. Bad maps are tossed (we have already tossed 3). If you want to get a map in this, give me a shout and show me what you got.

Swiftshot saved me the effort of taking screens in ZD, thanks to him, here you go

If you have any critiques at all, don't hesitate to let me know, we want this pack to be the best it can be.

Finally, the download and current maplist
Velocity CTF
map01: Rotated Infinity by Dusk
map02: Crypts of Eternity by Decay
map03: And Hell Captured by Dusk
map04: Industrial Nukage Mining by Dusk
map05: Gun Shy by Kamai
map06: Generic White by Decay
map07: Tyr's One Wheeled Bicycle by Heavenwraith
map08: Bleak Outlook by Synert
map09: Swap Meet by Shane
map10: Architecture of Aggression by Decay
map11: Winter Sacrifice by Decay
map12: Complex Beta by Decay

Last edited by Decay on Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Yeah, let's play it on Wednesday Night Flags.

Last edited by Krawa on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Cool
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Decay Smile

Looking fwd to this one. And, if it holds up to the hype then I hope it gets a permanent server at some point too.
Decay
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[XXX]Krawa wrote:
Looks great! Yeah, let's play it on Wednesday Night Flags.
Going to be good stuff, I promise you that!
Evolution wrote:
YYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Cool
Hell yea son Cool
CShark wrote:
Hey Decay
Looking fwd to this one. And, if it holds up to the hype then I hope it gets a permanent server at some point too.
Hey CShark, I hope so too. If you have any critiques, please post!
SwiftShot
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was great hosting this for WNF, can't wait to see what the next release has in store :)
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was not around to play last night, but I hope to get some play on the server before next week's WNF goes up!
SwiftShot
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Was not around to play last night, but I hope to get some play on the server before next week's WNF goes up!

No need, Domains kindly dedicated a server on NJ to Velocity CTF, with the IP: 208.167.245.119:10601 :)
Decay
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here's RC2

http://speedy.sh/SA7Zb/velocity.zip - use this link if you have the resource wad, that didn't change
http://speedy.sh/tx8Cn/rc2.zip - this has both the maps and the resource wad

"I notice the maps don't look that different". They look fine enough for the most part, and I've come to the conclusion you are dying or dead before you will really get a chance to look around so it doesn't really matter a whole lot.

"So what's new in RC2"?

Well...

Several texture misalignments through out the maps
Fixed the imbalance of health in Crypts of Eternity
Added coloured banners to Generic White
Removed the RL and fixed the hom in the center of Tyr's One-Wheeled Bicycle
Lowered some walls in Architecture of Aggression to prevent base to base rocket spamming, and make it a little less exposed. Changed the switches to regular switch textures.
Redesigned the mid of Winter Sacrifice entirely, adjusted weapon layout. I have no idea how it will go over but that's why this isn't the final. I'll pretty it up a bit if it's good in layout terms.
Decay
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do hate to double post but Rc4 is up on the server. If you haven't grabbed it, here's a link http://sickedwick.net/uploader/files/veloctf_rc4.zip

Note; this will be the last upload before the very final version (Sunday), so if you have anything to say, I am eager to hear it.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoying this - aside from a couple of maps. Nice to see it sticking it to ZDCTF too Very Happy

I should do a proper evaluation/breakdown ting, but it's late a bit. Got some time free tomorrow, so I'll try to appraise then.
Decay
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here is the final RC: http://files.funcrusherplus.net/wads/veloctf_rc7.zip

If no issues are found within 1 week, this will be renamed and posted up on /idgames

I owe a lot of people a lot of thanks for this wad, truly I do.

Beginning with the mapping crew

Dusk
Decay
Heavenwraith
Kamai
Shane
Synert

Graphics and logo! Credits to PUN1SH3R; excellent work man and Dusk for the f1 screen!

Additional thanks to Swiftshot and Evolution for getting the WNF event in the bag and introducing Velocity to Zdaemon, AF-Domains for hosting a pub AND priv server on DUI!

A textfile in the zip and the wad gives credit where credit is due, texture and music-wise.
Decay
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The final http://files.funcrusherplus.net/wads/veloctf.zip

"Can I just rename rc7"?

Sorry no, I received a ton of complaints about Generic White and how bad it looked, so I did a total overhaul on it, along with a lot of other minor updates and fixes. This will be on /idgames soon, keep an eye out and leave a comment if you wish!

"What's next"?

Velocity II, stay tuned.... if you have an interest in submitting a map for VCTF II, send me a PM stating said interest and some screens of your work, thanks.
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Map01 is stellar. 03 kind of proved to me that figure-eight maps can actually still be interesting in this day and age. Awesome theme and design on it, too. 05 reminds me a lot of some of the oddball 32in24 CTF maps. 06 is straightforward and cute. 07 gets a smiley-face from me because bicycles. For the love of all that is holy, 08 would be a lot better with fewer 90 degree angles. I think I admire the stone-to-snow bordering work on 11 (it's a small touch but still rather quaint). 12 seems to have solid design but the texturing seems rather schizophrenic (reminds me of datadyne in some respect).

It's always a relief to see original CTF romps being published, so keep up the good work.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kept forgetting to comment on these maps! So here goes:

Map01 is a great opener. It's not a very intuitive map, due to the base's orientation around the centre, but it grows on you. Can be hard work with only one route up to the flags!
Good to see those bleeding MIDSPACE textures got fixed for the final version Smile

Map02... well... I like the centre area! This is possibly my least favourite map in the pack. Too many narrow passages... hrmm, no, scratch that. The problem with those passages isn't that they're excessively narrow, just that they feel like it because they're so short and full of right-angled turns.
And the bases are so uniformly decorated inside that I'm never sure exactly where I've spawned Confused

Map03 is rockin'. No dull moments or uncertainty here Smile

Map04 is possibly my favourite map. 'nuff said.

Map05 sometimes feels a bit clunky around those fences, but otherwise this is pretty dynamite, all action stuff.

Map06 I actually prefered the "Generic White" version of. But whatever. Fun map to make a tribute to, and it plays damn well.

Map07 is another joy to play. That medikit area with the scrollers (in the middle of the map) is weird though. Feels like there's friction in there or something.

Map08 feels a bit too 32in24. Well, 32in24-4 to be precise. Y'know, like someone didn't have enough time to finish designing it? Doesn't play bad, just feels a bit vacant in places. And annoyingly, all that midtex bridging lags a bit online.

Map09... works on a basic level. I mean, you can run from end to end on it... but, because that run is so straight and short, then nobody seems tp bother with the other gimmicks - like the teleports or that whole outside pathway thing, and the "chaingun sniper tower" is just an annoying dead-end. It's just a bit too many features crammed into too small a play area, methinks.
But hey, I do really love the whole central "up&under" pathway!

Map10 probably has one too many routes out of the bases. Not convinced that the teleport needs two seperate switches which will both open it. Oh, and the bridge across the bloodpool is sometimes an excessive pain in the ass when you fall off in the heat of battle. Idk, would probably be ok with some aircon though.
Fun map still, but a little too extravagant?

Map11 is ok, but it'd be better if it was in another pack. Here it just feels like someone decided to throw maps 03, 07 and 08 into a blender. Can't actually fault it, but it seems to have too many recycled elements.

Map12 takes the longest to get to grips with. It's clever, and expertly crafted, but - as with map10, there's probably one too many routes around the place. Also, it took me a few games to figure the whole thing out.

Too late for any changes now, but hopefully that's still of some use to someone Smile
Decay
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Yeah, map02 takes some getting used to, it is really confusing for a lot people. Unfortunately for you guys, it is not nearly the most confusing map I've made, so I can't come to grips with what you guys are saying.

Map09 is really basic in pub play, for sure. However, keep in mind these were all geared towards priv style play for the most part. Did you know in map09 you can RJ in and out of the cg "sniper" tower stairwell? Little tricks in the map work well in 3v3 or even 4v4 situations, but otherwise yea it's pretty much a simplistic bloodbath Smile

08 was made by a novice mapper, UNFORTUNATELY it didn't strike me to rework the map entirely (like I did with 06), so I can see where you are coming from. Sorry about the bridge, I thought I had optimized it enough... I had entirely remake it from previous versions as it is...

Map10 was highly experimental, and although it's not an entirely bad map, I feel there was some error in it, so I know not to go in that direction again.

Map12 does take some time to learn, but when you do learn how to play it, you can really make some sick plays on the map. I'm a pretty terrible runner, but just knowing the map allowed me to make some wicked runs by juking the other team with the lifts and teleports. I kinda laughed at TheCupboard's remark on the texturing. What do you mean by schizophrenic?

If you can rally up enough people, give this a shot in a priv scenario, maybe people can get a different perspective. I'll be keeping all this in mind for Velo II, so don't consider your comments wasted time.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decay wrote:
Did you know in map09 you can RJ in and out of the cg "sniper" tower stairwell?

Wat's an "RJ"? Razz

And maybe I was thinking of an earlier version when I said about that bridge on map09. Looking at it again now, it does seem noticeably improved Smile

Decay wrote:
If you can rally up enough people, give this a shot in a priv scenario...

Really not going to happen Laughing

Decay wrote:
I'll be keeping all this in mind for Velo II, so don't consider your comments wasted time.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Just don't be rushing to get a sequel out too soon though. Or maybe, when you do, you can rework/replace some of the old maps - like the ZDECTF guys did Wink
Empyre
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wat's an "RJ"? Razz

RJ obviously stands for Rusty Jalopy. Apparently, there is an old car you're supposed to drive to the tower.
Decay
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:

Decay wrote:
If you can rally up enough people, give this a shot in a priv scenario...

Really not going to happen Laughing
WELL WELL it is now my job to prove you wrong :p

Cybershark wrote:
Decay wrote:
I'll be keeping all this in mind for Velo II, so don't consider your comments wasted time.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Just don't be rushing to get a sequel out too soon though. Or maybe, when you do, you can rework/replace some of the old maps - like the ZDECTF guys did Wink
Yea, II isn't coming out for a while... Shane was going to head a lot of it, but then he left Doom, so at the moment nobody is working on it... I'd say velo II might make it's appearance in july/august at best, considering the mechanix team has a lot on it's plate right now. Ultimately though, any little bugs will eventually be ironed out, so if you find any (I already know of some misalignments on 03/06/12), let me know.
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All in all, I thought this was a bang up set of maps. Good looking and good playing. Some of the layouts I thought were a bit confusing. I felt bad poking around the maps when there's teammates to support. Also, I got the feeling that map 8 was a little too similar to one of the zdctf maps. Can't remember which one.

Overall, good job, I had fun

Op-Cow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: