ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Single Player Improvements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EarthQuake
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Single Player Improvements Reply with quote

ZDaemon is a viable singleplayer source port, but there are some things that really restrict users who actually use it for this purpose.

* The most obvious thing is that saving and loading games is disabled from the main menu. You can still access the Save/Load menus from the console, using the commands menu_save and menu_load, respectively. And yeah, saving and loading does seem to work correctly, as far as I've been able to determine.

* The intermission screen is the next big one. If you listen while at the intermission online, you will notice the explosion sounds counting the kills and item percentages. This leads me to believe the old intermission code is still intact, so it should be a matter of checking if a netgame is active. In contrast, when playing online, these sounds should probably be disabled as they serve no meaningful purpose with the new scoreboard.

* If you die, you'll respawn instead of the map reloading.

* Although this is minor, you start off as a spectator, which I think would be a bit undesirable for someone loading up a megawad to play and being able to roam about the map before starting. Teleport fogs should probably also be disabled to retain a classic SP experience.

That pretty much sums it up. I'm not sure on how many people actually use ZDaemon for single player games, but these simple changes would probably make ZDaemon better suited for it, without the need to switch ports to play solo.

Peaches.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good ideas, but as ZDaemon's focus has always been multiplayer then I think this stuff is lower down the priority list than Strife support Razz
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the problem with lumping several items in a single request:
  • Load and Save: Implemented
  • Intermission screen: what we have now is better, especially if you consider different game modes and bots.
  • Respawn vs. map reload: start the game as survival rather than coop and it works the way you asked.
  • Starting off as a spec: well... it's SP mode. No one forces you to roam if you don't want to.
So it looks like 50% implemented, 50% rejected. Not sure what to do with this.
Evolution
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like to see the vanilla SP style death in zd too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Implemented Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: