ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Join" password

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: "Join" password Reply with quote

Currently we can run private servers (such as CTF) that require a password to connect. Priv games on both sides of the atlantic rarely happen like they used to. We've struggled to find new blood to replace the regular oldies that inevitably move on. Now we struggle to find six players to play private ctf on the euro side, and if we find six then it's the same, predictable players every time.

Life could be injected in the private ctf scene if we could set up a server to allow anybody to connect; but require a password for them to join the game.

To specify a password to join the game, one would open the console and enter something like:
Code:
joinpass <password>
Consigliori
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be missing the point here but what is so different about this compared to the current setup for private servers?
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current setup means that those without the server password cannot connect and interact, spectate, or play with people in that server. With a join password: everybody can connect and interact, but they cannot play unless they have that password.
Consigliori
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i get that but what difference will it make in finding players to play private ctf? Sure, new/curious players might drift into the server, but i'd imagine if they can't join, most will go play somewhere else? I kinda see it as being the same as getting your six regulars then heading to a 3v3 public server, but a bit more exclusive.
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consigliori wrote:
yea i get that but what difference will it make in finding players to play private ctf? Sure, new/curious players might drift into the server, but i'd imagine if they can't join, most will go play somewhere else? I kinda see it as being the same as getting your six regulars then heading to a 3v3 public server, but a bit more exclusive.

Think of this as a bridge toward joining private games. Once public players know what we're about, it's likely that they'll want a slice of the action too. Once they put the practice in and get good enough, they can.

ST has this, and it's pretty sweet. But lol ST players have always been sucky compared to ZD standards, with a few exclusions.
rygrass
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe i have to read this over a bit more? But whats the different to me setting a password on the server to how we do it now to this... ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's to stop the server from filling up with people who can connect but cannot play because they don't have such a password?
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EarthQuake wrote:
What's to stop the server from filling up with people who can connect but cannot play because they don't have such a password?

Why stop it? That's the whole point here: attracting new lifeblood to the priv scene. Newcomers connect and ask how they can obtain the password; players tell them they need to prove themselves by sticking around in #euro, entering tournies, or playing more pub ctf/duels.
SwiftShot
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a great idea.

A small problem with private CTF is that a few people get the password (from a past tourneys / friends on irc, etc) and start playing PRIV as if it's Public CTF (basically not following any of the rules). This happened recently, when I was playing against some clan called [TE] and I raged about it pretty bad (something I now regret).

I think with a join password, it could seperate people who want to play, with anyone who wants to spectate, and maybe learn how to play Priv CTF, and to understand the differences between PRIV and PUB. If it could be implemented, I think Priv CTF could flurish, and people from the Public servers could maybe feel they can try their luck in more organised games by spectating, and then learning priv. :)
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consigliori wrote:
I could be missing the point here...

You were Razz

Not sure how practical the devteam would find it, but It's a great idea Evo.
...right up until priv gets popular again, and then I'll start slagging it off.

EarthQuake wrote:

Well, what's the difference between the current setup where you get 6-8 dimwits sat in the public server who just wait until they can get a slot (when they could be playing an actual game elsewhere)?
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped playing and caring about private CTF at the moment I realised that I'm only welcome to play the moment that there aren't enough players to play 3 vs 3. As soon as more players connected to the server, it was like kthnxbye. I can't blame anyone for that actually, because it probably makes sense because I'm not as good as other players, but still. I think a function like "random teams" (just like random captains) would result in more people giving private CTF a go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
 76. Implemented a "Join Password" for servers; this enables anyone to connect
     to a server, but he'll have to supply a password to join (play). The
     password is specified by the "join_password" CVAR on both the server and
     client sides. The launcher can optionally prompt for (and remember) such
     passwords when one connects to the server.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Implemented Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: