ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Negative projectile damage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Negative projectile damage Reply with quote

EQ once mentioned how he and Silvertear messed with this once. Using DEHACKED they set plasma shots to inflict negative damage and as a result were able to 'heal' both themselves and also monsters. I recently tried to make use of this feature but found that it had some drawbacks:
  • It seems to only work on other players in Deathmatch. Couldn't seem to get it to work in any other gamemode (even with friendly fire enabled). I can't see any gameplay problems arising from allowing this to work in the other modes so that's what I'd like to see.

• There is no limit to the amount of health that can be granted - to monsters or players - by this method. Obviously ammo control helps but it's not an ideal situation there. Baah suggested using the megasphere upper limit as a cap for players (which I agree with), and that monsters be capped at their initial health (which I'm not so sure about).

• Shooting someone/thing with a modified gun has an odd side effect - the victim is drawn towards the target. Baah explained to me that "it calculates the pushback from the damage". I don't have a problem with this 'tractor beam' effect for either players or monsters - it would make healing players easier and could be used for some interesting ideas with monsters. Thought I better mention it though.

• When used on players (on or offline) there is no visible update to the health status. Obviously that is a real issue.

Not demanding this be added to next release or anything, but as I said, I can't see any reason for it not to be implemented properly at some point, and I'd like to hear what other people think about the possibility.

Demo map: negativedamagetest
Plasma shot damage is set to -2 here and there's some neutered imps in it to experiment on.
Geit-vd-plas
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Negative damage doesn't seem best practise to me. As you noticed 'damage' does not only lower your health. So if it where suposed to 'work properly' then this also means it 'should' drag/push the player towards the projectile. (and make the screen blue Razz)
I don't think there is good way to heal a monster anyway, cause I've not seen it anywhere before. Monster can't pick up items. Imagine a zombie stealing all your stimpacks Surprised

Come to think of it, didn't the whole shoedm thing failed because of this?
Doomination
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it's always fun to make imps pseudo-invincible with this stuff - 20 direct bfg shots to kill an imp after i fill him with healing plasma bullets

fun stuff
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it's not about creating stupid stuff to do! Although yes, bouncing imps around a map with rockets is definitely fun Razz

For example, healing monsters would be quite beneficial in something like Roland's 'Kill The Cyberdemon' project.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually more interested in the tractor-beam effect. Imagining pulling a score thingy around an obstacle course with your gravity gun. Smile
Doomination
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's "Zero-point energy field manipulator" earthquake

geez
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember playing around with this in the code, but i cant find my results.

i'll look into it again and make it work somehow.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b24

Quote:
316. Implemented proper handling of negative projectile/detonate damage.
The health of players and monsters is capped at spawn health.
Works for all modes.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooooooooool, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Implemented Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: