ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZDaemon drop in popularity?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gollum
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: ZDaemon drop in popularity? Reply with quote

Hey there. Some of you might remember me, most probably don't. I used to play ZDaemon for hours a day and now I'm lucky if I log into ZDaemon once every couple months.

But every time I log in I notice there aren't as many players as there used to be, despite overall improvement/development of ZDaemon itself. It's early Saturday evening (in Chicago), a time when I used to remember seeing at least 100 players as well as a couple conversations going on in #zdplayers. What happened?

Are people just not playing Oldschool Doom anymore? Or did everyone just sort of move on with their lives? I'm 21 now, and when I was active a few years ago (2003-2007) a lot of people were around my age. Did everyone just go to school, work, sports, friends? And is there no younger generation that's searching the internet for online Doom anymore to take their places?

Guess I'm just feeling a little nostalgic (probably why I'm logged into ZDaemon in the first place right now).

I play Xbox Live more often now. If any familiar faces want to add me my gamertag is DopeSickBadFish.

Cheers,
gollum

PS: Finally the website layout has been updated! Kudos to whoever implemented it, it looks slick!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Plastic Indian
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember you and I also am in the Chicago area.
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember you. Real life got in the way for me a bit. No money, no pc, moving all over the place, and six day work weeks. I used to to a fair bit of XBL when I was in Japan, but I got back on with Reach, and it just isn't for me anymore. Anyways, I'm glad to be back on doom, even if fewer people seem to be playing. A much nicer community than the over caffinated, twitch reflex 14 year olds on XBL.

Op-cow
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can count on some people never disappearing. ;)
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gollum Very Happy

Well yeh the popularity has been downsized. But in US there is the most activity.
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a kid and a fiance and school and work and yadda yadda..... but I still get on pretty much 1-6 times a week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Plastic Indian
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quiksilver wrote:
I have a kid and a fiance and school and work and yadda yadda..... but I still get on pretty much 1-6 times a week.

so what you saying is that DOOM is still a priority over your kid and fiance....

noice! Razz
Skitz0.X
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
Screw
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: ZDaemon drop in popularity? Reply with quote

Gollum wrote:
Hey there. Some of you might remember me, most probably don't. I used to play ZDaemon for hours a day and now I'm lucky if I log into ZDaemon once every couple months.

But every time I log in I notice there aren't as many players as there used to be, despite overall improvement/development of ZDaemon itself. It's early Saturday evening (in Chicago), a time when I used to remember seeing at least 100 players as well as a couple conversations going on in #zdplayers. What happened?

Are people just not playing Oldschool Doom anymore? Or did everyone just sort of move on with their lives? I'm 21 now, and when I was active a few years ago (2003-2007) a lot of people were around my age. Did everyone just go to school, work, sports, friends? And is there no younger generation that's searching the internet for online Doom anymore to take their places?

Guess I'm just feeling a little nostalgic (probably why I'm logged into ZDaemon in the first place right now).

I play Xbox Live more often now. If any familiar faces want to add me my gamertag is DopeSickBadFish.

Cheers,
gollum

PS: Finally the website layout has been updated! Kudos to whoever implemented it, it looks slick!

I think it has a lot to do with ...

Older doomers have moved on.

Their glory days were back in the 90s when the game actually first came out. .. Then they came to ZDaemon to relive some of the action. Apparently they are gone. Well most of them

.. Then there is my generation age.

I found ZD when I was like 12 or 13, and I'm in college now. I only searched for online doom because I had just got a computer with good internet back then and I played doom with my mom when I was like 3 to 4 years old. So basically what i'm saying is, if someone is 12-14 years old now, they'd be born in 98-2000 so they won't really care about playing this game.

So I guess the big boom that ZD got in players was from my generation, and the older guys who played it on release.

That's my theory. I haven't played since 2008 though really. I def. miss the good times, spent a whole summer rolling on teamspeak and having fun. Good times.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, when I saw the thread title, I thought it must be t8 with his regular 'doom of Doom' shtick.

Gollum wrote:
...I used to remember seeing at least 100 players as well as a couple conversations going on in #zdplayers.

What's up, nerdspecs?

Yeah it's slower than it used to be. Peak these days is maybe around 70 players? There are still plenty of games to be had though, especially on the "event" nights - Wednesday Night Flags, Thursday Night Survival, Friday Monster Mash, Frag Your Brains Out, and - the leader of the pack - Zdaemon Sessions Smile

But be careful what you wish for. God forbid you ever get sucked into what passes for "conversation" in #zdidlers Rolling Eyes
DX-Chain
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gollum! In a nutshell, everyone has moved on due to one or both of these factors:

1 - They got banned for doing the wrong thing (cheating), saying the right thing (constructive criticism) or wrong thing (destructive criticism, rubbing an admin the wrong way).

2 - Virtually any player that only has a limited time to play and wants a good game will do so in the independent CTF or duel leagues that operate outside the "motherland" and scope of public servers.

Everyone else just idles in ZDirc or plays in public servers during the special event nights.
[LA]FLunky
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacepirate wrote:
Hey Gollum Very Happy

Well yeh the popularity has been downsized. But in US there is the most activity.

this is wrong dude Wink
in Europe there is the most activity. most players and most servers
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
DX-Chain:1 - They got banned for ... saying the right thing (constructive criticism) ...

This has not happened in any shape or form.

Don't spread such FUD around, or attempt to subtly advertise towards other areas.

Quote:
DX-Chain: ... or wrong thing (destructive criticism, rubbing an admin the wrong way)

As far as "rubbing an admin the wrong way" goes, it takes alot for this to occur. If someone constantly slings shit and persists even after receiving warnings, then yes, removal will occur.

Even then, the ban is typically IRC and/or Forum specific.

You have to seriously fuck up to end up Master Banned.

Your general definition tends to be extremely broad, they should not be mistaken with master bans.

When in a hole, stop digging. That concept seems to fly right over a few heads.

During the peak time, there are quite a few games around, public CTF is also quite active.

Cybershark also highlighted the nights with Events.
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[LA]FLunky wrote:
spacepirate wrote:
Hey Gollum Very Happy

this is wrong dude Wink
in Europe there is the most activity. most players and most servers

I was talking about CTF.

Still, what Chain is trying to say is that, you so easily get warned and banned for saying something. I mean why not just let it go or delete the posts.. that is what I am wondering. Always using the authority...
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacepirate wrote:

Still, what Chain is trying to say is that, you so easily get warned and banned for saying something. I mean why not just let it go or delete the posts.. that is what I am wondering. Always using the authority...

Interesting.

There are complaints when a deletion with no explanation occurs.

Now you're saying to "let it go or delete the posts".

Damned either way.

You imply that bans are flying left, right and center. That is not the case.

If FUD is spread, that cannot be simply ignored, as it spreads like a virus.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AF-Domains.net wrote:
As far as "rubbing an admin the wrong way" goes, it takes alot for this to occur.

Or not.

Doesn't help anybody when the testosterone goes from 0-60 in 3 posts flat, and bingo, another forum poster appears to have bitten the dust. Pretty sure Domains has survived a good deal worse than being called "smarty pants" in his time here Laughing

Just sayin'.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should clarify further on my last post, specifically that comment.

Was mostly for pertaining to master bans, since that's what the original broad implication was.

Note: Plastic Indian was tourettes, hence the parting post.

Bans are not open for discussion in public however.

Get this back on-track anyway.
Sniper
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Screw said about 'the boom' of players made alot of sense to me. Something I hadn't actually picked up on before.
I started playing ZDaemon back in summer 2005 after having completed all of the Doom episodes that were available on the PSX. I'm 23 this year so would have been 15/16 years old when I stumbled across ZDaemon. I think the gap between games like Doom and the latest next-gen games is so noticable now older games such as Doom and Quake don't crop up in conversation anymore, atleast without anyone being nostalgic.

I'm sure there are ways and means of creating new meat for ZDaemon but that would mean a large scale re-arrangement of how we advertise ourselves which as far as I'm aware (apart from a few select methods from certain players) is nil. I'm sure those who do like to delve into a little bit of gaming nostalgia and look up Doom on YouTube or Google may run into some ZDaemon material but that alone is not enough to keep competition fierce.
rygrass
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long there are Oceania servers i will be still around...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
fx02
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, some of us are not playing so much as we did play before but lately I manged to pull some old doomers to ZDaemon Smile so now I'm stuck at least few days a week. As I was told by Sedlo in USA CTF is really popular and interesting, dunno why that's not the case with EU. I suppose there is no "organization" for good old competition. I wanted to play tournament, but hey there is no notification that there will be map01 eu tournament so I missed it and I really wanted to play something like that. So I'd suggest mailchimp newsletter so we will all be notified vie email if something interesting is happening on doom scene.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: