ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Survival Tournament comments/suggestions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> USA Tournaments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Survival Tournament comments/suggestions Reply with quote

Alright I know I'm signing my own death warrant by opening this post but I really want to make a solid format for survival tournaments so lets begin.

Right now the idea I have is simple, the tournament will be a 1on1 or 2v2. Each player or team joins the game at the same time you only get one life. Have a set time limit ( 10 mins) the player or team with the most monsters killed at the end of the time period wins. The wad I have decided would be best for this is Coopbuildlm map 21. If you guys have ANY suggestions please post it here.

Last edited by Dannyboy on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thadeuss
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Danny, great idea to do a survival tournament. I'd suggest checking here: http://forums.zdaemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=12806&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Some great games were had, and while the tournament never finished, I think this is a good place to start with taking on board some of the criticisms of it.
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Thad I did have a look at that, although it seemed very complicated I applaud Ronald though that's a tough task. What do you think of the current style that I suggested in the original post?
Vampire Knight
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a great idea, Danny. I would agree that Ronalds survival format was over complicated, although that is understandable given that it was the first of its kind.

As for your proposal, i like it. Its simple, yet effective. The only thing i would draw concern too, would be the potential longevity issues. It is certainly possible to die very early in a survival map.

I would suggest either making the match format a best out of three games, or perhaps add another life (i reluctantly suggest this option, as i feel survival is best suited to one life, however it would increase longevity).

I assume you mean each player within the team gets one life? Or is it the case that if one dies, the team dies?
SwiftShot
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and Vamp are the worst survival team ever Crying or Very sad
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Vampire, I guess what I can do is make it best out of 3 rounds. As for the team if one person dies does not mean your team automatically loses only one life per person. I appreciate the helpful comments if you have any more feel free to post or PM me in IRC.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mean to barge in here, but I think Dannyboy is going with what I suggested in IRC. So I guess to clarify, the goal is to get as many kills as possible within the timelimit. This would be taken literally; a team could be wiped out, but they wouldn't necessarily lose unless the remaining team actually surpasses them in number of kills before the timelimit strikes (or before they die :p).

About players not lasting long in Survival, this can be overcome a variety of ways. You could set some server flags to make it easier (friendly weapons, drop weapons), you could reduce the skill to I'm Too Young To Die (half damage, double ammo), or you could even use some DeHackEd magic to nerf monsters or buff the players. Also, multiple players on each "team" will also balance the tides (you just have to figure out how to allow players to easily distinguish their "teammates" from their "opponents", so they know whether to help them or not).

Best out of 3 rounds sounds like a good plan too. It's really easy to fuck up or get hit with some bad luck from the RNG.

Anyways, when you get things settled, I'd love to participate in this. I'm not usually a tourney guy, but this sounds pretty exciting. More focus on this great mode (in the form of new maps and tourneys) is, in return, a great thing.
[SIN]Torment
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team survival = $

I know in Ronald's tournament it was 1 round or something on the map, I ended up shooting my teammate into the center of the map with two cyber demons which killed him. Although I managed to get the other team killed, I still didn't have enough kills to win, though now I figured I should have died to start over.
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought about such a tourney many times, but i've never figured out a reliable and fair set of rules. i watched ron's tourney and it was a lot of fun, but it had its bugs. you know, slaughtermaps get picked inevitably, because they have enough monsters and resemble arenas more or less, but usually there's an abusable spot where you can sweep a billion sargeants at once with a bfg blast. so i wonder... how about something that resembles invasion? you know, with tighter weapon and monster progression.
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you guys think a team tournament would work best?
Rexnor
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I believe this tournament should have some teamwork involvoed, also, dewww has a point there too, maybe the wave thing, something like GoW Horde thing, you know wave 1, wave 2 and so on....until everybody is wiped out...
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok do you know a wad that we can use that has that?
Thadeuss
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all sounds great Dannyboy, I think either monsters killed or perhaps time taken to complete the map would work. 2v2 on a server would be awesome, it was one fo the things that really worked imo in the previous survival tournament.

I will defo sign up for this if there are spots left!
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay well I have the format all set up now the only thing I need to know is would you guys think it would work better if they had just 1 life or lets say 3?
Thadeuss
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would depend on the map mate. Some of them are nightmarishly difficult in survival. But then, that's what makes them so much damn fun!
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the map would probably be coopbuildlm map 21. So with that map in mind what do you guys think? Also what do you guys think about vampire mode? since that map doesn't give you any powerful weapons we could limit it to 1 life but have vampire mode enabled?
marcus_wargo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Scythe X?

If we are all decided on coopbuildlm map21, then forget this, if not, check out scythe...
I was reading through the suggestions, ideas, comments, and whatnot, and immediately my conscience bitchslapped my brain and screamed "scythe x!"
so...... scythe x.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a finely-aged thread, but I didn't want to start a new one to ask a question...

Are there plans to keep moving with the Survival Tourneys? I had a blast during the first one, and have been dying (lolpun) to participate again.

Of course, like always, we have a shortage of maps that are practical for a tourney, but perhaps we could work something out. I really enjoyed Nite Lite from X-noob_survival, and somehow I see it playing out rather well in a tourney given some tweaks to get monsters to respawn.
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do plan in the very near future to host another survival tournament. I would love any wad suggestions anyone might have. I do plan on running it the same way the prior survival tournament was run. With that in mind please only recommend maps that fit that sort of playing style.
[DA]DarthBane
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleo555 is going to beat us all!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> USA Tournaments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: