ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zdaemon TDM Tournament introduction
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> USA Tournaments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Zdaemon TDM Tournament introduction Reply with quote

Hello folks I'm extremely happy to announce the all new Zdaemon Team DeathMatch Tournament! Registration for the spring tournament will start on march 1st.

Quick note:

This is NOT the TDM tournament sign up forum, this is just to go over what the tournament administrators have come up with. Not all of the tournament rules and regulations are posted in this thread. When sign ups start, official rules and regulations will be posted on the tournament's details and instructions tab on the sign up website.

Tournament Overview:

The tournament will be a 2v2 with 8 teams (subject to change). Each match will consist of 2 rounds. The winner is decided by the total amount of frags at the end of both rounds. In the event of a tie, a pre determind tie breaker map chosen by the tournament administrators will be played, who ever wins that round wins the match. A second chance tournament has be implemented and is available to players who have lost in the starting tournament. Players should begin forming teams now to be ready for the tournament registration day.

Map Selection:

Since we did not like the idea of a maplist we decided to go with a selection screen style instead. The tournament administrators have also gone over just about every possible TDM wad available and chosen the maps/wads we deemed fit for the 2v2 tournament. The wads have been compiled into a mega wad with a selection screen. Maps will be chosen by each team captain. This being said there will be no set map list. Each team will choose a home field map to play so it is recommended that teams should decide together what map (or maps) to play then practice before the tournament begins. Teams will not be notified as to what map the other team decides to play. The wads currently compiled are:

Vex-Zdaemon: map01, map04, map06, and map09.
Greenwar: map02, map03,map06,map09, map20, map23, and map28.
Dwango5: map01, map07, and map18.
UDM3: map01, map05, map07, map09, map10, and map11.
Lazarus: map05, map06, map08, map12, map15, and map22.
Exec: map07, and map10.
Onslaught3: map06, map07, map14, and map21.
TLSDM2: map02, map04, and map21.
Gothic2: map04, map05, map06, map11, map19, and map29.

Keep in mind if we do come across any more good maps we will add them. If you have any map suggestions please contact Dannyboy, ReXn0r, or Collision.

Server Settings:

DMFlags: free look enabled jumping is disabled. Team damage will be enabled by 100%
Time Limit: 15 mins.
Frag Limit:75 (per round)
Forced respawn is set to 15 seconds.

Teams and Registration:

Players will be able to choose their partner, to make a team all you need to do is find a partner then choose a team captain to represent your team. It is suggested that teams find substitute players in case one of your teammates cannot participate in a match. Players who do NOT have a team will still be able to sign up as a reserve player and will be put in a list for teams to browse through. Sign up instructions will be posted once tournament registration begins.

If you have any comments or questions feel free to private message one of the tournament administrators via ZRC or the forums. Also you may join the #zd-tourneys channel for any comments or questions.

Tournament administrators: Dannyboy, ReXn0r, and Collision. Special thanks to Collision for making the selection screen and compiling the wad for us!

Note: cybercrime3 has been removed. Added greenwar maps 2,3 and 9 and dwango5 map18 instead.

Last edited by Dannyboy on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:34 am; edited 6 times in total
OurHero
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im gonna help
marcus_wargo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Map List!

Last edited by marcus_wargo on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Sniper
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me
Mantis-X
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent... I like it... should be fun Cool
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good i'm glad you guys like it!
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Danny, just wanted to say congrats on your deft and intelligent response to my many points there.

Here's a tip: mods generally look for a good reason before deleting stuff, they don't just zap posts that they don't agree with.
I understand that it's early days for you, but it's a forum here - a place to discuss. You have to expect that not everyone will see eye to eye. And as long as it doesn't get too off-topic, or too offensive, then it's irrelevant whether you agree with the poster or not.

If you didn't want discussion, and this was meant to be nothing but an announcement thread then you should have locked it after your original post. Although it looks more like you wanted to make an announcement which could be publicly lauded by the community, while you sweep any naysayers under the carpet.
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't delete anyone else's posts except yours. The reason for this is because you DON'T contribute at all with anything regarding tournaments. To be frank I don't give a shit what you have to say about them so what's the point of even keeping them on my threads? once you start playing or giving actual advice then i'll consider keeping your posts.
But untill then shut the fuck up.
Raider
Lazy Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Hey Danny, just wanted to say congrats on your deft and intelligent response to my many points there.
Here's a tip: mods generally look for a good reason before deleting stuff, they don't just zap posts that they don't agree with.

Any forum moderator has the right to delete posts that he feels are off-topic or that are a distraction from the issue being discussed.

Cybershark wrote:
I understand that it's early days for you, but it's a forum here - a place to discuss. You have to expect that not everyone will see eye to eye. And as long as it doesn't get too off-topic, or too offensive, then it's irrelevant whether you agree with the poster or not.

You have a valid point here. However, when you inject sarcasm into your post, you have to expect that the original poster may become offended. I saw the post in question and it did in fact contain sarcasm. I'm not necessarily saying that your post didn't contain meaningful comments or questions, but when you include sarcastic or insulting comments, it nullifies the legitimate points you make.

Cybershark wrote:
If you didn't want discussion, and this was meant to be nothing but an announcement thread then you should have locked it after your original post. Although it looks more like you wanted to make an announcement which could be publicly lauded by the community, while you sweep any naysayers under the carpet.

You're way off here. Just because someone posts an irrelevant or objectionable reply, the entire thread should be locked? Why should we let someone hijack a thread and kill it, when we have the option to simply remove the objectionable comments and move on?

Dannyboy wrote:
But untill then shut the fuck up.

This really doesn't help. We expect and demand better management from our forum moderators. I hope we don't see anything like this again. From this point forward, I expect all parties involved to conduct themselves in a civilized manner. This kind of behavior won't be tolerated.
Rexnor
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
...but it's a forum here - a place to discuss. You have to expect that not everyone will see eye to eye. And as long as it doesn't get too off-topic, or too offensive, then it's irrelevant whether you agree with the poster or not.

The main reason why your post was deleted Cybershark was because, even though the thread was an announcement and when
Dannyboy wrote:
Keep in mind if we do come across any more good maps we will add them. If you have any map suggestions please contact Dannyboy, ReXn0r, or Collision.
stating we would look over MORE wads, you came here bashing the map selection but you didn't came up with a solution, I really don't see the point why you're disagreeing with the maplist or any other point in the tdm tourney.

I, and the community recognizes you as a great mapper and wad developer, I could dare, one of the greatest Zdaemon has ever had, but still, and I mean no disrespect, you need to be a little bit more on the supporting side, remember Tourney section was kinda dead for a while, not because others were inneffective, but because there was no one available to take it over, now Dannyboy is making a great effort to bring it back, along the ZD staff, and some humble people that try to help them, let it take off and keep in mind, this section is beginning to take off, I'm quite satisfied with the way the 1v1 tourney went, and we DO listen to people's oppinion, and of course we WILL listen to your opinion, but perhaps your choice of words was not the correct one, also, if you actually disagree badly with something you can also come at us via pm on irc, remember written words are cold and hard, they can always be misunderstood or taken on the wrong side.

Anything you need you know where you can contact us Smile
Thadeuss
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, good luck with the tourney, it's great to see another TDM tourney get started. Also good luck with the American Tournament section, looking forward to watching some great games.

On a side note, I'd like to propose that any problems or issues between forum mods be discussed in PM or in #ZD-OPS. I've already seen issues like this arise between different mods, and it would be good to have everyone get to know each other a little bit and try to be encouraging to one another and be a team.....like the A-team. Maybe Z-Team?

Dibs on Mad Murdock.
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks thad the Z-team sounds great heh heh. As far as the mod issue I don't have any problems with anyone else I tend to mind my own buisness. So far American tournaments have taken off with great success, feel free to check out the current 1v1 tournament that is going on.

Last edited by Dannyboy on Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
DX-Chain
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Props for keeping the map variety open, but I'd suggest making the team damage factor at a clean 100% instead of 80%. From past experience, this has yielded the most exciting matches because spamming (BFG or rockets) has to be done with more care and planning. You'd likely end with more FFA type matches with 80% compared to 100%.
mikehail
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with chain, 100% team damage can only make it more fun and increase competition. TDMania was awesome, if you guys emulated that I think it would be a very successful tournament, solid and lots of fun Smile

As a separate question, will any sort of vox be used on the tournament servers? I just cannot get enough of Zoidberg and can only imagine hearing the taunt after team killing strangle Laughing
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright since you guys leave me no choice! I will bump up the team damage to 100%. Also I did add that freelook will be enabled but jumping is still forbidden. Thank you for the input guys I hope to see you all at that tournament and Mikehail the zvox will be enabled.

Note: All changes are final. There will be no more changes to the tournament settings/rules.
Deathtrap
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like fun... might start playing again to get ready for some TDM.
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should! it's going to be lots of fun.
Rexnor
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compilation wad has been completed...Congratulations to Collision, it's an awesome compilation and with a lovely selection screen, we will post the servers where it's being hosted shortly...

stay tuned folks Smile
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raider wrote:
You're way off here. Just because someone posts an irrelevant or objectionable reply, the entire thread should be locked? Why should we let someone hijack a thread and kill it, when we have the option to simply remove the objectionable comments and move on?

Not what I was saying at all. But let's move on. Or back.

Rexnor wrote:
you came here bashing the map selection but you didn't came up with a solution, I really don't see the point why you're disagreeing with the maplist or any other point in the tdm tourney.

No, not the selection. My question was what gives you guys the right to rip these maps out of existing packs when in several cases the text files that come with those packs specifically state that this is not what the author or original compiler wished? Last time I heard then that used to count for something, and I can't believe the Zdaemon 'staff' are now endorsing this.

That goes double for the Cybercrime maps being using here without the custom weapons that make them actually be Cybercrime. The word 'bastardisation' springs to mind.

I see that the original text files have been included in the zip, but that doesn't really cut it - IIRC then GetWad won't even extract those. The solution? Use maps that have been cleared for use?

Rexnor wrote:
remember Tourney section was kinda dead for a while, not because others were inneffective, but because there was no one available to take it over, now Dannyboy is making a great effort to bring it back, along the ZD staff

Oh, there's no question that the US tourney scene is a better place now, and that's certainly something that everyone should be happy about. The recent sell-out 1on1 tourney has flown by, so all (staff and players) concerned should be applauded. However, it does make me wonder what was going wrong with the previous attempts to resurrect them?
Raider
Lazy Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybershark wrote:

... and I can't believe the Zdaemon 'staff' are now endorsing this.

There is no intent on the part of the staff to ignore or violate any copyright. The license issues discussed in this thread will be addressed and appropriate adjustments will be made to the tournament parameters.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> USA Tournaments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: