ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upcoming Tournaments
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> USA Tournaments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Upcoming Tournaments Reply with quote

Hello everyone I am pleased to announce that tournaments will begin soon before we do start however I would like your guy’s ideas on what you would like to see happen in these tournaments I have made a list of things I already plan to implement so please read this before you post an idea. Here is a list:
1. team ctf tournaments – Players can get together and make a team and sign up as a team clan teams are also welcome to join this tournament.
2. 1v1 tournaments – will stay as it was before.
3. TDM tournaments- same principles from the team ctf tourney apply.
I do plan to bring in clan vs clan tournaments but it could be difficult to start up due to a not so active clan scene. Tournament game types will be rotated monthly and consecutively the first tournament to be started will be the team ctf I will post the rules/regulations/sign-up dates at a later time. The tournament administrators consist of myself (dannyboy7), MadV, and ReXn0r if you need to contact any of us you can send us a message through ZRC. Also there is now a #zd-tourney channel you can join to contact other players/teams involved with the tournaments. I’d like to give a special thanks to Humanbones for running the tournaments for as long as he did but due to real life duties he cannot continue thanks for the time and dedication you spent to make Zdaemon tournaments.

Last edited by Dannyboy on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Upcomeing Tournaments Reply with quote

hey there, i wish you a successful run. i do have a warning though...
dannyboy7 wrote:
I do plan to bring in clan vs clan tournaments but it could be difficult to start up due to a not so active clan scene.

forget it. :) the last clan tournament (vendetta3) managed to bury the whole european clan scene and grow a sequoia park on top of the grave. considering the NA clan scene is frozen in limbo for two or three billion years... i suggest you allow free teams. you will also dodge an explosive, herpes-carrying bullet in form of clan players "hopefully coming back; we can't play our matches without XYZ; etc."

ok.. good luck.

p.s.: run a wsnakes tourney, it's the best!
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man you got a great point it's just an idea for now thanks for the support.
DX-Chain
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Who are you? Who are you?!..." - Robocop
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im the new sheriff in town.
DX-Chain
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant--do you actually play or just chill in ZDIRC? (Just curious)
Raider
Lazy Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DX-Chain wrote:
I meant--do you actually play or just chill in ZDIRC? (Just curious)

Dannyboy7 has been playing since around 2005. He's been helpful and reliable in the community. He is currently an OP in #zdplayers as well. We are confident that he will bring the same enthusiasm to the tournaments.
LordBritish
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, it isn't easy!

That being said, you don't have to deal with strangle or quik...
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said to you in PM, let me know if you ever need anything. I'd be glad to help. Good luck, and I hope that you get things going again, because god knows I couldn't.
Rexnor
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, anything you need guys, remember #zd-tourneys in zdirc Smile

also, indeed clan scene is pretty inactive nowadays, but all the work that's going to be done here has as one of it's goals bring the clan scene back on track...

there might be a few or a lot of "but"s but trust me, we're working hard on this stuff, thanks for all the supporting comments and any, I mean ANY idea and/or suggestion is very welcome Smile
SuperNova
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I really wouldn't even consider running team matches. It's hard enough getting people to show up for 1vs1 tournaments, asking people to all communicate and show up and play as a team might be a stretch. If I were you, I'd try running some newer maps out there with a bit of kick to them (such as NS style maps with complete NS play) and mix that in with some classics. See what kind of turn-out you get and then perhaps you may get some people interested.

If you're going to run a team tournament, I completely agree with dew. Forget about letting people form their own teams, it's never usually fun because people find reasons to back out and one team usually ends up dominating. As much as it may pain some of you guys to read this, I would suggest taking a page out of the IDL's book and perhaps instituting some sort of draft or just do random teams.

I'm happy to see some people suggesting TDM and I hope you manage to set things on the right track. Try other game-modes, too. Some coop survival tournaments would be interesting. Believe it or not, but even in the highly competitive scene, a lot of people can't help but love coop survival. Perhaps that may be something you can build off of. We'll see how it plays out. Thanks for giving it a shot and best of luck.
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input I will look it over and see what i come up with
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HumanBones wrote:
Like I said to you in PM, let me know if you ever need anything. I'd be glad to help. Good luck, and I hope that you get things going again, because god knows I couldn't.

Thats a load of crap bro you did great with tourneys shit came up and you have to handle it man no worries.
mikehail
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdm/coop survival tournaments seem to be the only niche that isn't already filled, I would certainly be interested in either of those, in fact I have discussed running similar tournaments just recently Wink
SuperNova
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory, you could do something similar to the Armageddon.pk3 in SkullTag and do a series of waves. You could base it off of who kills the monsters in the least amount of time with an arena like atmosphere. Of course, this requires some people with mapping (and perhaps ACS) experience to build something. The idea would be to map out an arena designed for teams to kill monsters and do it without dying. If said team is to all die, the only thing the opponent team would have to do to win is kill the most monsters. There are things that throw this into a bit of a debate though. I'll explain.

For example, if you built an arena with 400 monsters, 4 waves and each wave brings out 100 monsters, a team kills 200 of those, dies in the third wave, the next team could simply camp it out and take as long as it takes to kill 201. Of course, this is dependent upon the monsters and their ability as monsters such as cyberdemons and spider masterminds aren't really easy to camp out against if there are a good amount of them. There's also the argument that the first team shouldn't have died and the idea is survival so there are fine lines to cross here when it comes to drawing out a plan for this. You could time it, meaning you have 15 minutes to kill those most monsters and advance into the next waves without dying - the winning team will be the one to kill the most in those 15 minutes of the team to kill them all before 15 minutes surpasses.

That being said, I would suggest adding custom monsters. The problem with doom2 monsters is that almost all of them are easy to kill in huge bunches if you treat them like cattle and simply run around them. The other thing to consider here is ammo/item additions. It would take some brain-storming and quite frankly I wouldn't invest a ton in it if people don't show interest because it would be a big project to take on. You also have to consider the mapping community as well. While I could easily draw up the maps for this, I have absolutely no experience with ASC and it takes me 4 years to build 6 sectors. However, if someone was willing to do the ASC, I'd have no problem building a few arena maps for waves. I would speed up production if it was required. Smile

Anywho, that's just one thought of something you could try. The nice thing you have going for you is that the next release should have some new game-modes and that will be something to possibly build off of. Also, I see a ton of people in #zdplayers but none of them seem to have active forum accounts aside from the guys we all know. Perhaps you could simply go into the #zdplayers topic and say "got an opinion on our operations? Want to be involved in the ZDaemon Community? Here is a link to our forums and registration!" Although I'm not sure that would accomplish a ton as it can be somewhat difficult to get a forum account confirmed sometimes. That's another issue though and one I'm not really even going to dig into because that isn't what this topic is about.

So yeah, there's my input on the matter. If you are interested in pursing this dannyboy, draw up a poll about possibly pursing this and see who is interested. This is a very long post and most people here can't read past two sentences. A simple poll with a yes or no option would probably suffice best.
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperNova: About three years ago, I made [url=http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/coop-arena.zip
]this[/url] cooperative arena for Zdaemon. It's a coop arena in which 23 waves of monsters will spawn. The wave spawner is activated by pressing the switch in the middle. There is no stopping it after! The 2nd wave will not spawn before all monsters of 1st wave are eliminated and the 3rd wave will not spawn until the monsters of the 2nd wave are eliminated etc etc. The meaning of the wad is that both teams join the game at the same time. The team with most kills after all 23 waves wins.

The wad is not perfect, and I've learned a lot since then. But if it's something similar that you have in mind, I am willing to do the ACS part for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you guys are serious about makeing me a coop map as you described please contact me in irc so we can further discuss it.
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind Worst made a stellar ACS invasion library with sample map for modders to use HERE. I've toyed with it in the past and it's very solid stuff to work with. I mean, the big skill you need to have is to be able read his notes and make Mapspots and Teleport destinations to spawn things effectively.

Essentially, you need some maps to work with, you need to tinker with some of his variables, and create a bunch of item and monsters spawn points. It's very customizable if you're serious about it. It's not particularly ACS-noob-friendly, but it's much better than writing code from scratch.

I have no problem making coop maps (indeed, my repertoire is 75% coop, 24% CTF, and 1% other) but I'm not a big fan of invasion-style. It's rather predictable in some respects and can be easy if players have room to circle-strafe continuously or can just camp out by the health/ammo spawn points. Admittedly, those issues can be solved by good map design that is challenging not just in terms of how many monsters get thrown at the players, but in terms of item placement as well.

What I really enjoyed playing in was the European Plutonia map32 survival tournament a while back. Although, as a coop-nerd, I'm certainly inclined toward events like that. Razz
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that Euro survival tournament of Ronnie's was fun stuff.

Good luck to MadV, Rex and Dannyboy7 as they really have their work cut out for them here.

Raider wrote:
Dannyboy7 ...is currently an OP in #zdplayers as well. We are confident that he will bring the same enthusiasm to the tournaments.

Lol, I take it back. If he brings anywhere near the same level of enthusiasm to the tournies as he does to #zdplayers then the US is saved!

Now... while it'd be nice to have US tournies up and running again, what'd make more sense is to embrace the hugely competetive Mexican/South American playerbase, get them their own regular official ZD events and make them feel more like a part of the larger community. Obviously language is something of a barrier here, but this should hopefully not be an unsurmountable obstacle.

dannyboy7 wrote:
I would like your guy’s ideas on what you would like to see happen in these tournaments

An IRC tourney! Players go to a special channel, they start with 50 points each, and they lose a point each time they use an unnecessary upper-case letter or nonstandard keyboard character.
Sniper
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Now... while it'd be nice to have US tournies up and running again, what'd make more sense is to embrace the hugely competetive Mexican/South American playerbase, get them their own regular official ZD events and make them feel more like a part of the larger community. Obviously language is something of a barrier here, but this should hopefully not be an unsurmountable obstacle.

I do agree there is a vast playerbase in this region of the world, and our community. Whether we have somebody who can speak Spanish / Portuguese / English, all fairly fluently I'm not sure.

Anyway, good luck dannyboy I'm sure USA players are itching to get some competitive play going again.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> USA Tournaments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: