ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Railgun and nobfg wad files !

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jtoxification
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Railgun and nobfg wad files ! Reply with quote

yo !
I was playing tlsd2004.wad the other day, when I finally broke down and set aside some time to do some things:
#1: extract the railgun code into a wad file.
#2: add it to the nobfg wad file.
#3: and remove the bfg from tlsd2004.wad

So last night, not knowing a damned thing about the freakin' structure of a wad file except from my high school days, I tried my luck and finally ended up with these three :

railg.zip - tlsdm2004's shotgun to railgun conversion: suitable for use with any map that doesn't have a dehacked file in it.

railg_nobfg.zip - the same conversion and removal of all bfgs on a given map (nobfg.wad) perfect for your favorite levels marred by the bfg ... *cough*DWANGO*cough*

tlsd2004_nobfg.zip - and the removal of the bfg in tlsd2004 (just added the nobfg.wad file), since when added seperately, nobfg.wad screws with the dehacked file already in tlsd2004.

I didn't make *ANYTHING*, btw ... and hopefully won't forget any names
in thanking : _Dimiter_, ATGDEATH, CHRONO, and GOTHY for creating the originals.
(I hope I didn't mistake any textures for names !)

That nobfg code was REALLY easy to tack on to DEHACKED-ified wadfiles ... as simple as pasting 3 lines into the dehacked script. What took me so damn long was not knowing what programs to use, what files to look for, or what formats they were in ... ugh. So I've got a (laggy) 4-player server "Desert Server" that's running Dwango5 with the railg+nobfg wad, if anyone's curiosity is peaked. It's also setup for your client to automatically download the wad from the right place.

btw - I didn't remove the code to make the items hover because the hovering looks cool :-p

what do you think ? good idea ? bad idea ? (remember I didn't make anything, I just separated 'em)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shockwav3
The human germ

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, you should know that's totally unneeded because stuff like that already is around.

nobfg.wad, uigib12.wad
Jtoxification
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah ... I figured it'd be something like that. But hey, I learned a shitload now. And now more people like you might come out and say : "Hey, XYZ wad does the same thing !" and I'll be able to download it and look at it and run it :-p In fact, nobfg.wad was one of the mods I used to create the above wads.

and the dehacked files still interfere with one another unless you combine them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Red Frog
USMC

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say for sure, but I firmly am under the impression that the railgun in uigib12.wad is screwy. Like the aim's off somehow. Anyway, I like TLSDM's railgun much better.
Shockwav3
The human germ

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Frog wrote:
I can't say for sure, but I firmly am under the impression that the railgun in uigib12.wad is screwy. Like the aim's off somehow. Anyway, I like TLSDM's railgun much better.

that's because it's not centered
Red Frog
USMC

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK then.
scirmast
Da Po-po

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it a very bad thing you let the items float. One of the worst experiences I've had with DooM.
Jtoxification
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it... that's why I kept the floating code in there.

I'll post another version without the floating code for you, but I myself will continue to use the floaty code Very Happy
Tuttermuts
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I really like the nobfg servers, more of those!!
JacKThERiPPeR
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how about converting the BFG to a Railgun?
Red Frog
USMC

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JacKThERiPPeR wrote:
And how about converting the BFG to a Railgun?

That could be pretty cool. I like my shotguns.
p0x
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: meow Reply with quote

fish stick fish stick, yea that sounds like a great idea, turning the bfg's into rail guns! XD Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Doom A Holic
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Railgun and nobfg wad files ! Reply with quote

Jtoxification wrote:

#1: extract the railgun code into a wad file.

railg.zip - tlsdm2004's shotgun to railgun conversion: suitable for use with any map that doesn't have a dehacked file in it.

btw - I didn't remove the code to make the items hover because the hovering looks cool :-p

what do you think ? good idea ? bad idea ? (remember I didn't make anything, I just separated 'em)

I think all the stuff posted above is great, greater than great! Wink
MasterOFDeath
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing I would like to see(and I may actually do Wink ), is make the bfg a "tri-railgun", that is, it fires a left rail, center rail, and right rail all at the same time!
Jtoxification
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I was thinking along similar lines, that it would be cool for someone to turn the bfg into another railgun variant... my own idea was for a much larger rail beam with slightly faster reload ... not as cheap as the bfg, but still fun enough to warrant grabbing.
ATG_Death
and this one time, at band camp...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only 3 railgun frame code pointers - fire from left side, fire from right side and fire from the center of the screen, and, alas, you can't edit the way it acts or the way it looks.
Delays, however, are set with frames.
MasterOFDeath
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but luckily there are ways around that(people who are making some new weapons may want to read this). One thing you could do is have the railgun fire twice at once, that is fires on shot after the other instantly. It should look like one beam, but it is really 2. There is also a way to change how much ammo it uses is one shot, but I cant remember how you do that. If you need more help, go towww.zdoom.org/wiki
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: