ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DUI New Jersey
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperNova
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: DUI New Jersey Reply with quote

So I've been back and forth lately when I've had the time to play. When I do come on, I typically look for CTF and DUI NJ is the most populated server for it - which is fine, no problem, right? Wrong. I know we don't run the servers but for christ sakes, allow some friggin' map voting! Nobody is going to abuse it and you guys decided to run every map in the all of the zdctfmps so it only lives for a few games until one of those not-so-fun maps come up. Mappers can cry all they want about it but I only have so much time, I'd at least like to enjoy the maps I'm playing and I can say that for only a select few maps in the zdctfmps. In fact, I would imagine most people may feel that way. So yeah, just a request I guess!
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.zdaemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=12525

http://forums.zdaemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=12952

People always end up abusing it. I thought it was perhaps more restricted to the Euros, but I've seen it recently US-side too. Yeah, yeah, it's democratic an' all, but FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFS why are people so retarded when they use it? Why can they not just vote for the next map in the rotation, rather than invariably skipping back to one of the 'holy trinity'?

I'd say to Domains to leave the voting the way it is, but to tighten up the rotation. You only need a good maplist or voting, not both.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but there will be no map voting.

It was enabled once....and map01 was always played, so definitely not.

If you've however got a good rotation, send me a message.
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The huddled masses only want to play one set of CTF maps. That's enough of an eye-roller for me, but then they only want to play a handful out of the whole, all the time. It's way too selective and dull.
Konar6
Prepare your eyes!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the same SuperNova that was pondering how we can get new players to ZD (and make them stay)?

You say "nobody is gonna abuse it"?! Woah, seems you've never played on a zdctfmp server (especially an euro one).

Everyone knows what always happens on a public zdctfmp server with map voting. A few "pro" players who consider all the "non-competitive-worthy" maps (read: everything that's not included in the IDL mappack) come in and all they want to play are those 5 maps of the whole 30-map zdctfmp wad, forcing the rest of the server crew do the same.

Something tells me the DUI servers' settings are good as they are, seeing these are busy almost 24/7, and thank god (and/or AF-Domains) for keeping voting off and not turning it into another "zdctfmp 1,4,8,11,26,gg's" server.

Now, SuperNova, what you are requesting here, IMHO isn't doing much favour to the objects of your yoyo threads. Good old times when there was no voting whatsoever and ALL maps were run and I actually enjoyed public CTF. With most of the servers set up with map voting now, I'm sick of playing the same 5 maps, where these "elitists" know literally running through the map blindfold, over and over for years even on a public server with 30 maps in rotation. The Cupboard sums it up in short.
DX-Chain
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind that public CTF doesn't have map voting but c'mon now...MAP06? Really? Even with the lowered player limit via cvar overrides, that's 15 minutes that a huge chunk of the people spectating won't get to play. Same goes for MAP24.

All in all, everyone's life would be easier if those two atrocities were taken out of the rotation on every server in existence.
SwiftShot
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konar is drunk again.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess my map14 is too much for you eh? We played a nice 3on3 game of it yesterday. It was nice because I hardly ever get to play a decent game without someone whining about how horrible they think it is. Come to think of it, just about all the maps that people bitch about aren't bad maps at all. I remember throwing fits over map10 in my noob days. In retrospect, I wish I could take back all the bitching I did. Today, it's not a bad map at all. Oh, and remember when everyone loved map06 because it was actually challenging to score? What happened to that? Did everyone grow soft?

Ultimately, what I want to get at, is that some people like to play the entire rainbow of maps those wads contain, not just the same 3 maps. It angers me when the game comes to map07 or map19 and people want to vote these excellent maps off in favor of that overplayed shit.

I can actually enjoy a CTF server for once.

Last edited by EarthQuake on Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AF-Domains: 01, 03, 04, 07, 08, 09, 11, 12, 13,[EDIT] 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 30.

This list sees the removal of the pointless and the ugly. Look here if you need a reminder of the maps... what do the yanks think?

(I was supposed to include 14, thanks for the reminder Jimmy)

[EDIT 2] Oh f*ck I forgot map30

[EDIT 3] map06 is my favourite, but yeah everybody hates that shit.

Last edited by Evolution on Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
SwiftShot
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EarthQuake wrote:
Guess my map14 is too much for you eh? We played a nice 3on3 game of it yesterday.

Yeah, we made a good team Very Happy
LordBritish
God like!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

01-05, 08-16, 19-23, 25-end. Even tho I think 26 is goddamn awful personally.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have successfully asserted my position as being the most controversial mapper of all time.
SuperNova
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo I'm completely on board with a tighter map rotation, Domains! I didn't think you guys would be willing to do that as it'd be more work, etc. whereas map voting is just the tweak of a simple flag. Nonetheless, I personally haven't had problems with it where servers run it in public but all of you seem to have had instances where it was abused so fair enough.

@Earthquake: to be honest, not all of the maps are good. And from what I've seen, most people would agree with that; also, as certain maps come up (like map05 after map04) it literally kills a highly populated server. So whether they are good or not doesn't matter, people clearly don't like them. And as has been the case for the last 10 years, people are going to play what they like - they don't care if you like it or not. As far as "the good ole' days," let's try to avoid that when it comes to CTF. In the good ole' days, we played DUI-style CTF (playing 5 on defense and running 1) and wondered why it was so hard to score. After some intelligent new thinkers concluded that perhaps running more players into the other base (not to mention they are intelligent runners) we were soon able to score 5 flags a game at a much higher rate. Maps like map06 are hard enough to score on with no D, so stalemate maps generally aren't fun anymore because the game itself is more advanced since then. Love you EQ, I do, but I don't really agree with you at all.

@Konar: I'm not really sure how to respond to your post as it literally made no sense. You're saying that I've suddenly gone from wanting to see activity to not caring/acting in a certain faith that would suggest otherwise? How did you come to that conclusion? I stated that I clearly want to see something done to make gameplay and activity thrive at it's highest levels and keep people interested so that they continue to play - not leave when a dull map comes up. Maybe it's just late and I'm not reading what you're trying to say correctly or I would at least hope that's the case.

Anywho, I'm not going to really argue the pros and cons of playing new maps. The bottom line is, I just want to play where other people are playing, where the most activity is. When running all of the maps in the ZDCTF rotation, it's very hard to do that. Personally, I would much rather see the current IDL wad ran as it has some of the best maps from a variety of different wads all bunched into one. Whether they are the best or not is debatable but I personally like them and get the sense that others do, too. Anywho, thanks a lot for the feedback Domains, I'll go ahead and post the maps I'd like to see now:

Map01, Map03, Map04, Map07, Map08, Map09, Map10 (I actually think that map is fun!), Map11, Map12, Map13, Map15, Map16, Map18, Map19, Map26, Map27, Map30..

To me, those are the maps that should absolutely be included. There are a few others that a case could be made for, but I would personally love to see that as the rotation.
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EarthQuake wrote:
I think I have successfully asserted my position as being the most controversial mapper of all time.

I think you'll find that you mean most controversial living mapper.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotation adjusted.

(As it stands, what is currently set may not be the final configuration; evaluate it and we'll see how it goes).
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperNova wrote:
Personally, I would much rather see the current IDL wad ran as it has some of the best maps from a variety of different wads all bunched into one. Whether they are the best or not is debatable but I personally like them and get the sense that others do, too.

I wish more hosts would de-privatise their IDL servers. If you're in the IDL then you can presumably practice on their hidden servers. And if you're not an IDL player? Then you don't need those servers, and you're not any better than anyone else, so how about you just suck some public down like the rest of us?

ChaosCore does have a pub server for the 2010 mappack anyways Wink
SuperNova
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point really had nothing to do with the IDL players and private servers, Cybershark. The only thing I was suggesting was that I feel the current IDL wad has the top maps from a variety of map-packs out there, at least that's my opinion and if someone were to argue otherwise I wouldn't necessarily disagree with them. I know you have your issues with the people running private servers and I believe there are certainly good and bad aspects of it but that really had nothing to do with the point I was making.
masterdan
with the master plan!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the map adustment. Have all the other servers received a map adjustment as well? I know there was at least a couple servers that were gonna be adusted...
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, those other servers probably had wiser settings from the get-go. No offense Domains Razz

SuperNova wrote:
My point really had nothing to do with the IDL players and private servers, Cybershark.

Neither did mine really.

I wouldn't have a problem with those priv servers so much if the hosts also had public counterparts which represented this wonderfully diverse pack. The fact that the pack is the IDL's is neither here nor there.
SuperNova
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right but there's nothing stopping other servers from running the IDL wad. It's really just a name when it boils down to it, it's not like the IDL created these maps themselves - they've been around for years. Instead, they decided to put a pack together featuring some of the more favored maps from a variety of map-packs, which again, there is nothing stopping anyone from doing the same in those regards either.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Help & Chatter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: