ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

aurora.wad

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titan_66
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: aurora.wad Reply with quote

Let me introduce my map called aurora. It is small, no camp, no spawn hunting, quick, playable. This is imo better than my previous nukage.wad map. And dont worry, iam not going to make "a spree map forum session", i take a break. I appreciate some opinions, dm tests etc. Enjoy Very Happy

Last edited by Titan_66 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fun to play, The texturing is alright, Weapon balance is good, although A rocket launcher in opposite corner to the bfg would be a bit better to have, repelling bfg rushers and making the game a bit more tactical.
7/10!
Titan_66
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated, added possibility to escape from the chaingun room, silent respawn in boomstick room, brightness and some textures.

Last edited by Titan_66 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better than your last one!

Do like the chaingun + green armor combo. The windows really open up things up in the central area. The brown brick building is a structure I just really like for some reason... Curvey stairs, a rocket launcher mini lift, and the BFG dais. Heh, cool. Smile

One thing. I wouldn't put a lower texture directly on the nukage sector (unless it is SFALL). Maybe make an 8 pixel high ledge around it so it looks like the slime is actually contained somewhere and not floating on top. :p
Titan_66
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to add some stuff there, it seems more playable and better imo. What do you think ? Smile

Last edited by Titan_66 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
capodecima
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice wad titan good play here and tactics too .)
Titan_66
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce the final version of the Aurora.wad. The zip contains the final wad + txt. Special thanks to wabe (he even composed the music). The link is here:

http://jakub.machata.cz/wads/aurora.zip

enjoy Twisted Evil

Last edited by Titan_66 on Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
IleKallio
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, took a look at this in both single player and Doom Builder.

The layout is pretty vertical, and there are lots of different areas, and they're connected well for the most part. There's only 6 spawns, but I doubt there will be multi-kills or better scored in this map very often, because the spawns are scattered pretty far away from each other. Also, I like the central yard spawn spot because it doesn't give you a weapon, but instead gives you like a million different choices where to go. I like it as it is, but if it used the west-facing-silent-spawn bug, it would be quite awesome, because it'd give you a stealth benefit or some shit like that Smile

Weapon layout is ok, the SSG placements are quite nice because you can't guard both of them at the same time. The BFG platform is cool, because you can jump down to the chaingun room, but I frankly can't see much use for BFG in a map this complex. Oh well, maybe that's just me, it's good to have it there anyway.

The music doesn't make me cringe, and the details are good too. The map doesn't look empty and barren but there aren't too much details either that would make it look stupid. Flats and textures match well mostly, and the pick-ups are good with stimpacks and medikits around the place.

Overall, there aren't any real flaws that hurt the map by this glance, so yeah, keep up the good work!

Now of course, the most important part of any map, the gameplay, I haven't tested yet. Hopefully I can get some games on it this weekend. But this sure looks promising! Wink
wabe
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been great to work with titan for this wad, really. I had been looking for something like this to work for sometime and this was perfect.
I am looking forward to possibly work on other projects too, titan Smile

Ile:
Thanks for the review. I want to see how you act in-game Very Happy
Titan_66
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed last bugs, and the name of map on final screen. Link edited.

The wad is on oblacek already.

Ile: thanks for your review !

wabe: you have detailed the map, looking forward if we make another in the future...
IleKallio
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Review continued: I see that the spawn in the middle yard was a player 1 start, not a dm spawn, so that was my bad Smile

Anyway, yeah, gameplay-wise, I didn't see much use for the rocket launcher or plasma gun here, other than giving some cover-fire while you're trying to get the better weapons.

Some places are a little cramped, so this map needs good movement and coordination skills. Fortunately the walls are shaped in such a way that you won't get stuck anywhere, so gameplay is fluid.

My only grievance was that the BFG platform is so high that you can't really hit the other guy if you are on the ground unless he performs a dramatic jump down to the cg room.

Hope to see this in a tourney some day Very Happy
RTB
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow I really like the look of this map. Would be awesome to have a few games on it soon Surprised
Titan_66
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost forgot for a screenshot.

Jaffa
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good though, on the test server i manually downloaded your wad because getwad was taking forever, but still couldn't join because it needed aurora6.
Titan_66
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaffa wrote:
looks good though, on the test server i manually downloaded your wad because getwad was taking forever, but still couldn't join because it needed aurora6.

the link is here: http://oblacek.sh.cvut.cz/bin/aurora.zip
Thomas13
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its enjoyable Smile
Doomkiller
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just played a game here with Titan. My first impressions were that this is a big and unnecessarily complected map. These maps usually suffer poor game-play. This map however, is definitely an exception. I haven't enjoyed a duel that wasn't on entryway this much for a long time.

The basic concept of this map is the structure that leads to the BFG. As well as the main steps there is a longer route through a winding passage where a very well placed SSG lies. A third way to the BFG is to sneak up on a tall lift which is accessed from the very bottom of the map -a very nice addition to the map. On the other side is another tower with a chaingun inside. This acts as a good escape route for the BFG user. It could be a little campy at times, but from the 1 game i played, very little of it took place in this part. Another SSG has been placed in a tight corridor on the far side of the map. Again, most of the game tends to play away from this area, but this is the main SSG for the most of the spawns.

Gamplaywise it plays better than I expected. I would say it is a medium paced map. The outside is not too open and allows for both short range and long range duels. While the SSG is probably the main weapon choice (as with most maps) the sg and cg have some use for long range sniping. Plasma and rockets tend to have limited use - I found that they are useful in the narrow corridors, particularly the SSG passage. Although easy to get, the BFG may not be as dominating as in Titan's other maps. However, the outside area can leave you vulnerable to BFG attacks if you're caught off guard. One other point - the map is not too large in that you generally never loose sight of your opponent. By that I mead you usually have a good idea where he is. For me this is always a plus for any map (makes it less campy).

Now let's look at the design. Titan said he and Wabe spent a lot of time in it... and it shows. The architecture and texturing are both excellent. Wabe has shown some real talent here. The SSG passage is very rich in textures, but to great effect. I would go even further to say that this is a fine example of how going over the top with textures can be effective. Generally, very good detailing. The only negative would perhaps be the other SSG corridor with the blue floor. I'm a big fan of the architecture around the exit area. Lots going on here and steep flights of steps are cool!

In conclusion, a VERY well made map. Weapon placement is adequate, game pace sufficient, size just steering clear of too big. I would probably like to play some more games before giving it a score. However, I think this could potentially be a very fun map, so... Score: 8.5/10

I would like to see this in a tourney sometime. It could even play well with NS settings.
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomkiller wrote:
I would like to see this in a tourney sometime. It could even play well with NS settings.

don't worry a bit. i agree with your points and titan's ceaseless promoting will get it through sooner rather than later. i'm just waiting for the final version of the final (final) version. :)
Titan_66
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dewww wrote:
Doomkiller wrote:

don't worry a bit. i agree with your points and titan's ceaseless promoting will get it through sooner rather than later. i'm just waiting for the final version of the final (final) version. Smile

This is the latest version already. It is the latest since may aprox. we (with wabe) have finished it. Tested on DM as well. It is ready for anything mr. Boris Smile) The question is what is more suitable, if OS/NS...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: