ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Special Event May 2010: TDM 1Day Tournament
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> European Tournaments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devisin
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm in
capodecima
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capooo
IleKallio
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, i can't make this. i crashed with my bike and the skin of my mouse-hand is fucked up atm
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch D:
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GGS!
Devisin
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hah my energy is over . well ggs Laughing
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need a new spine Very Happy GGs indeed!
turSKA
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GGS, was a lot of phun! It lasted tad too long which was a shame. And bo5 was too much for the finals imo and i'm sure admins agree aswell!
Thanks konar6 for hanging in there even tho you were tired!

Also congrats Emosin and Evosin!
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, the wrap up post.

First of all, mad props to everyone who participated, this was a highly experimental tourney and it'd fail without any one of you. I hope you all had fun and i'm sorry for any sour moments. This was a first, so fuck ups were bound to happen (and they did). Thanks for bearing with us.

Next, congratulations to the winners: Devisin and Evolution! They managed to beat the runner-ups turSKA and Konar6 twice in the finals, meaning they stayed the only team to get beaten just once. Interestingly enough- by t+k in the earlier stages. :)

And last but not least, great thanks to Nero for being the dedicated tourney admin, even while i was playing/away, and to Tobi and Konar for administering Horizon/GrandVoid. I knew this would be hard, but I still underestimated how much and I'd probably die halfway through without your contributions.

official standings:

1. Devisin + Evolution

2. turSKA + Konar6

3. Spirit_Crusader + capodecima

4. Nokturne + Nosturi
5. - 6. runkman + NRM & Tobi + desolator
7. - 8. Dopefish + Fluffles & dew + Ronald

notes: NRM played all games with runk, not Marax. In Tobi's last match, his teammates were desolator, error and knarrenheinz consecutively, heh.

quick recap:
  • 1 hour to go, we had 10 participants checked in, including people recruited on the spot. It was a good call to let people register so I knew who's intereted, but not taking anything for granted. Some people had unexpected obstacles and checked out in time with apologies. Thanks guys, hopefully you can participate next time. Some people just didn't show up. And i still don't know what happened to Marax who checked in and still vanished 15 minutes to kick off. You can't expect to arrive 30 minutes late and land in a team in this system, I told you that before. I consider getting so many people a small miracle.

• The start got delayed by cca 30 minutes as we searched for instant replacements, then games started happening and everything was good. Except for poor runk, who had to search for Marax's substitute before he could play. Luckily NRM rescued us and we didn't have to DQ a player eager to play. I think people had quality fun at first, altho the server/map picking was a bit chaotic. A note for the future: never admin and participate in such a tourney at once. Even with Nero's help I was flooded and I ruined our team. Sorry Ron, if there was triple elimination and loser's loser's bracket, we'd kick ass and win. :)

• Then the games got surprisingly tight and challenging. This leads me to the conclusion the skill groups and random team matching was a good thing overall, no matter what single exceptions might thing/say. It might not be entirely fair, but show me a system that is. And retains fun.

• Anyways, a problem appeared: people might not have time to finish the whole double elim progression. This happened to desolator and we let Tobi find a replacement teammate, but this held up the loser bracket significantly and in result, the whole tourney. This is a HUGE lesson for future tourneys/generations. The LB matches have to be played in much quicker pace and we need to be stricter with single map forfeit punishments for delaying. (not blaming Tobi or deso, it did drag on even before that incident!)

• The 3-2 final match was awesome, but I agree with everyone- it dragged on and on to no end. Poor Konar, despite turSKA's epic last stand, literally reached his breaking point on the final map and some forked tongues might say Devi&Evo won by more endurance and youthful energy. :) Another lesson: double elimination in such conditions should end with bo3, not bo5. Sorry, I didn't see that coming. Better organization should cut off at least an hour or two next time!

ok, enough talk. i'm absolutely exhausted. this was by no means flawless, but i declare it a successful experiment. hope you had fun. :)

EDIT: added capitalization and formating to add dignity.

Last edited by dewww on Mon May 31, 2010 12:52 am; edited 2 times in total
[FEAR]Tobi
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure this was fun, but I think a major problem was the attendance.
I had to find 2 substitute players to finish my games. Most of the time I've just been waiting for the others to play.
But after all I guess it went fine, it ate alot of time though (which resulted in the previously mentioned problem).
Maybe the games should be scheduled next time, so that the people know how long it might take.
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed, tobi. another note on the maps selected:

b11m01 and d6m1 were the safe classics. i personally dislike the latter, but i know well enough i'm in a tiny minority on that. plus it allows us circumvent d5m1, haha.
slug was by far the most controversial map. a crowd of haters faced a crowd of fans, plus a bunch of guys who ignored the issue. the map is certainly WEIRD, but works verrrry well on 2v2 tdm. deal with it. :)
greenwar map26 was a favourite of a lot of teams, but i admit my failure on this pick. it was the tdm equivalent of brit10 ffa, insanely paced no brainer shoot out. personally i dubbed it the 'teammate grinder'.
gw2 map18 was a bit overlooked, because you people are silly. the map is pure gold. and there's sooo many secrets you don't know about... some teams even ignored the bfg!
Graim
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I participated only as a spectator in a few last matches but i think it was a great idea to run this. I hope i'll be able to participate next time !!
oh, and congrats to all of the finalists for their endurance Laughing
Devisin
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewww let there be a special event in june or july please Surprised good time for it
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

end of june... maaaybe. july is more probable, nerves need some healing.
BAZOOKA
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats evo & devi
Konar6
Prepare your eyes!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old idea finally realized. Cool event. Kudos to dewww and Nero for organizing this tourney and leading us through it all afternoon + evening. They did great job.

Even though this concept was new and original on ZDaemon and noone knew what we're going into, overall it ended above my expectations.

Except for 1 major waiting pause where we (from the Winner's Bracket) had to wait for people from the slower progressing LB to find new teammates due to some no-shows, games were continually in progress, even more of them at once.

2 issues.
Length - could be made ~2 hours shorter (less maps per game, lower timelimit, whatever). It dragged on till 9PM, which is 6 hours since the start.

Teams established by admins. Quite a heavy fail for some people. Although the idea sounds interesting/challenging at first glance (pair people who may not even know each other - playing-wise or in person), I would personally much more prefer let players make up teams themselves and admins not interfering with this at all (eg. find a teammate and sign up both in a small registration window - 15:00-15:20).

+ thanks turSKA for kindly playing with me and sorry for those last games where I've had enough and my performance faded away. Razz

+2 congrats to the winners, cool games with you, we met up against each other twice in the tourney, lol, and your endurance was better.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like this went really well! Respect to everyone who made it happen Very Happy

And lol @ Marax being Marax again.
Marax
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry runk. anyway - i was in #euro and told u guys that i have no mouse. i vanished to ask my nb for a mouse. but there was no mouse ^^
runkman
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marax wrote:
sorry runk. anyway - i was in #euro and told u guys that i have no mouse. i vanished to ask my nb for a mouse. but there was no mouse ^^

Hey no problem dude! NRM saved my ass Smile
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm really sorry dewww for being such a bad teammate. I'm sure you could come a lot further in the tournament if you hadn't me tied to your leg. Razz But I'm glad I was allowed to join this tournament, because even though I only played a few games, they were very enjoyable to me. So dewww and Nero, kudos to you for organising this. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> European Tournaments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: