ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need some advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperNova
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Need some advice Reply with quote

Bitches! Okay, gangstas...I'm having an issue here with my video card (or at least I think I am). Last night, after 3 awesome games of CTF, I decided to go play some coop in ST. When I was playing, I got a message from someone in IRC and went out through windows mode. When I did that, everything went to hell visual-wise. The screen froze for a period of time, the colors went really dim and everything was off center and out of place. Then after a minute or so of waiting, my screen would black out, refresh and an error report from my video card would appear saying it "restarted" (or something along those lines, I don't remember EXACTLY).

Now, as a result, when I scroll down on internet browsers, open up my start tab and scroll through different apps or even scroll through my ZD launcher, everything is really choppy and takes a bit to load. I had this problem before, but it was more resolution related and a quick fix of that eliminated that problem. But when that happened, I never got those error reports from my video card. So since I'm not the most P.C literate guy in the world, I was wondering if anyone could explain in lame-mans terms what the exact problem is and how I can fix it. Any feedback will be appreciated! Thanks!
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my first suggestion is reload the drivers.

You may have overheated it and it pissed itself. I had a similiar problem. Whats the card and machine specs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ladna
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Quik is right, your card probably overheated. I know that newer cards will reboot and then limit themselves after that, but it's also possible that it was damaged. Reinstalling the card might help, like Quik said.

I would add a couple things though.

1. If your card overheated, there's probably a reason. Open up your case and check for dust, fur, and general nastiness. Make sure all fans run properly.

2. If you were running ST using the OpenGL renderer, I suggest you not do that anymore. That thing is a piece of junk, and I wouldn't be surprised if it set your computer on fire. Graf Zahl is a vindictive son of a bitch.
Kitty
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the exact same thing happen a few times. Mostly after using OGL in ST and another game.I don't think its an overheating issue as my computer is well ventilated and have plenty of fans. I restarted my computer and it was fixed. So my guess is its some weird issue with the drivers.
If you have an ATI card, thats probably exactly what it. Their last update clashes with with OGL in ST badly. So yeah, if you're using it, maybe switch back to software until the next driver update.
enVision
A.K.A. Rat-Arsed

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chopiness when scrolling is a symptom of using base level drivers. Since your card recovered itself it may have notched the performance down on your system to maintain stability. The bios recovery message isn't anything to worry about, it's happened to me a few times when using photoshop. Do a full re-install by uninstalling your current drivers completely, restarting pc then downloading and installing new drivers from nvidia/ati/whatever site.

I honestly can't see overheating being the issue, especially when playing doom. I've seen cards reach 95 degrees centigrade on more recent games on 40% fan capacity (i.e. mine) that come out just fine. Even with opengl, doom will hardly stress any cards to the point of overheating.
Kitty
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was getting that and it said it "restarted" it never actually did. The control center on mine totally shuts down when that happens and it's basically like there are no drivers installed at all.

Now that I think of it, the first time it happened to me was when I was playing ST in ogl not long after I had updated my ATI drivers. I have since reinstalled the drivers a few times in attempt to fix the ogl crash and it hasn't happened. So yeah, that might work.
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember Hatedaddy, if you uninstall your cards drivers, you'll need to plug your DVI or VGA back into the OEM video input. Because you'll obviously not see anything through a card with no driver.

Also, I would like to add, the machine I've been using has no video card, and I can still run OGL just fine. I don't think OGL really has much of a processing impact, although it is a memory hog (in comparison to its processing needs)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
enVision
A.K.A. Rat-Arsed

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you uninstall your video drivers windows will always fallback to its own drivers as a failsafe, so switching round any leads isn't necessary. Like I said, this might be whats happened already in some regards as performance is suffering.

Quick: OpenGL is just like DirectX in that it can be used to merely draw things on the screen (with no processing requirement) or use predefined routines to enhance visual appeal. The former are usually what a graphics card handles and to some degree onboard graphics chips. The point I'm making is that if you were to find a demanding enough game (and they do exist) that used OpenGL, it'd crawl if the settings were high enough because your onboard graphics chip simply wouldn't be able to cope.
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh I see. Thats weird. I can see how thats a waste. If you have a (good) video card, you shouldn't need OGL? Lets say, good PC with just OEM video. OGL would add visual appeal without needing more video memory or....

SuperHatred: updates?
SuperNova
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all good now...a simple reboot fixed everything haha
DX-Chain
God like!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperNova wrote:
It's all good now...a simple reboot fixed everything haha

thanks 4 wasting my time!!!11

guess wut, U ain't dead but when I gets to ya, you're gunna be. Lookin' for a BEATDOWN or wut mofkr!!!!???? all's im saying is you got it commin' pal, and when it comes its gonna come down HARD! U better hope I never go down south cause I WILL FIND YOUR ASS!!!!!
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: