ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZDS #141 - Still not faster than the Speed of Doom!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: ZDS #141 - Still not faster than the Speed of Doom! Reply with quote

I was digging through my notes the other night, deciphering some of my more abstruse reminder messages and realized just how much there is left for us to play (and replay, for that matter). We're really looking at voluminous amounts of material. Then, of course, there are a lot suggestions we haven't made it to yet. Rest assured, somehow, it will all get the chance to shine.

Now, one recent project, Speed of Doom, really caught my eye (and a lot of other people's eyes too, considering its popularity in the Doom community and the suggestions we've had for it). It's hot of the press, so hot in fact, that it hasn't even picked up any ZDaemon server hostage yet!

Speed of Doom contains a full replacement of thirty-two maps. The design is consistently outstanding and notably difficult most of the way through. Every map has lots of traps and other nasty things that will bite you in the ass if you don't keep your boots moving.

For no reason other than novelty, we'll throw a pack of Doom 3 sounds on there which should make things more intense. Laughing I never get tired of the Cyberdemon's wake-up sound, anyway.

Game Mode: COOP
    WADs: sodfinal
    sod_zd_patch1_0
    qdoom3snd
    nohoming

Maps: 27 (01-19, 21-25, 27, 29, 31)
    DMFLAGS: 81956 / 1179712
    Timelimit: No
    Players: 12 (+2 spectators)

Date: Saturday 15th May 2010
    Time: 7:30pm UK Time / 9:00 pm EST
    Locations: [XXX] / The Outpost / etc

Last edited by TheCupboard on Sat May 15, 2010 8:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: ZDS #141 - Still not faster than the Speed of Doom! Reply with quote

TheCupboard wrote:
...it hasn't even picked up any ZDaemon server hostage yet!

Usually that means it's hideously broken Razz

But no, I wanted to see this one for myself too after so many folks were asking for it.

Sexcellent job on the super-early postage too Cuppy! But no Doom3 monsters to go with the sounds? We just gotta use them someday!
SuperNova
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took us about a month and a half to beat this in survival mode. Smile
It's TOUGH!
Jad
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no more Outpost servers. Crying or Very sad
LordBritish
God like!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOD is awesome. As a matter of fact we just started replaying it. Hopefully the cool lifts and shit don't break ZD in half.
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ZDS #141 - Still not faster than the Speed of Doom! Reply with quote

Hatred and LB got it here. Joshy and Darkwave really nailed this project. That reminds me that we should totally have a server exclusively running map32 with survival! Twisted Evil

Cybershark wrote:
But no Doom3 monsters to go with the sounds? We just gotta use them someday!

Gahh, right. Definitely that will have to be thrown on top of a future pick!

Jad wrote:

Shocked Crying or Very sad Damn, that's unfortunate. I don't know if Deathbr1nger will be able to spot us this week. If not, we can keep the party afloat at Krawa's place. Thanks for all of your support and emergency servers Jadwick!
Dark_Odyssey
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zounds! This looks really yummy ... unfortunately, IŽll miss out wholly on this weekŽs frag fun, but I wish you a great time nevertheless, and I hope one of the servers will still be up at the beginning of next week, lest IŽll have to beat this in sp mode Very Happy
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: ZDS #141 - Still not faster than the Speed of Doom! Reply with quote

TheCupboard wrote:
Jad wrote:

Shocked Crying or Very sad Damn, that's unfortunate. I don't know if Deathbr1nger will be able to spot us this week. If not, we can keep the party afloat at Krawa's place. Thanks for all of your support and emergency servers Jadwick!

Damn shame this is, but words cannot express the level of gratitude we have for all those times you bailed us out Jad!

Might be worth approaching DavidGross or Ladna to help out?
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishing I could be there. Heh, maybe I will; I'll have internet access Saturday night!

I played SOD the other day, maybe half of it or so. It's a really fucking solid mappack, very beautiful and atmospheric in parts, but it is insanely difficult, even for me. Played it on HMP with ZDaemon (infinite lives, slow respawning items) and I died probably about 10-20 times per map. I just don't see how anyone could complete this wad one time through. Thank klaas you're not running this in survival mode, eh? Smile
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a ZDaemon patch for the wad: sod_zd_patch1
Most maps have Voodoo Doll functions and ZDaemon 1.08.08 can't handle them. I fixed that and I hope, everything works Smile

map04 can cause problems, but if you reconnect everything is fine.
map20 and map26 cause big server problems, so I removed them from the maplist.
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great job, krawa! shame about the missing maps, 26 is adorable and 28 is.. unique, but i guess that's unsolvable. out of curiosity, what exactly crashes 28?

good call on respawning items, you don't want to know the brutality of survival mode without it :)
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get an error in both local mode and online. "Bad firstline number" pops up in the message. I didn't check much further into that because the map wouldn't suit our purposes with a monster count of 2938 anyway. Laughing I might check it later though.

And thanks big time for the patch Krawa. Cool
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yeah, that was a really screwed-up error. I think Doomer and I were the only other people hit it on ZD? Thankfully it's gonna be fixed real soon Cool

Oh and Krawa, you da man!
dewww
God like!

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, so it's the map's huge sector count, not monsters. well, the bitch slowed my craputer even in glboom+, so i'm not very surprised. :)

edit: ok, played some maps on the first euro server and it seemed almost easy with infinite lives and respawning items. then i went to help fastidious with sod in classic survival and that was... blood and sweat. i hope for joshy and darkwave people liked this wicked wad. :)

edit2: i forgot to mention it.. the d3 sounds were a GREAT idea. combined with such a hard wad it really became scary at times.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm yeah, seemed like fun. I has some noice pics anyways. There was some very pretty, very tricky and I think my most strongest memory is of diving again and again off a bridge to try to kamikaze a whole pack of archviles. Idk, I should go back and play these things sober sometime too Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Sessions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: